MSi afterburner Flicker plz help

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Shinte122, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinte122

Shinte122 Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Whenever i hit apply overclock on msi afterburner my screen starts tearing and flickering when i move my mouse around but when i am inside a game it runs perfect and it doesnt matter how much i overclock by even a 10 MHZ increase creates the same amount of flickers and screen tears plz help

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Either disable unofficial overclocking mode or use mode 2 (disables powerplay).

3. flopper

flopper Member

GPU:
    xfx 6950 2gb
    7970 and windows 8 64bit 12.11 beta 11 and 12.11 cap2.
    installed 2.3 and Clocks didnt take after unlocked unoffical mode and 2 set.
    flickering as a result.
    after applied kernel mode however the applied Changes now did take.
    shifting back to user mode now works also.

Not sure why.

4. pooprscooper

pooprscooper Member

GPU:
    2X MSI 6950TFIII Unlocked
    This started happening again with 12.11. 12.3 also had this problem. What changed in the drivers or is missing that is causing Powerplay to do this with unofficial overclocking? The core clock is fluctuating wildly when in 2D mode.

5. Unwinder

Ask AMD, unofficial overclocking EULA clearly says that MSI won't provide any support if you use this mode.

6. howzz1854

howzz1854 Member

GPU:
    dual Sapphire Tri-x R290x
    i can confirm this problem.

i haven't been able to update my catalyst driver for my heavily overclocked 7950 due to issues like this. every driver after 12.4 have the broken 2d idle clock problem. 12.11 beta 11 fixed the 2d clock but now it's giving this horrendous idle flickering problem that would give a sane person seizure. it doesn't matter what clock you set it to, once you change the clock speed, the display goes into crazy mode. my 7950 is a well clocked beast that can do 1200mhz and 1600mhz mem, unfortunately without enabling unofficial overclocking, it'll only allow me to do 1100mhz core.

this is real shame on AMD's part, typical... coming out with a patch to fix another patch that ends up breaking another thing. all i can do now is go back to 12.4. since i really want powerplay. my comp draws enough power as is. powerplay is essential to me. i just won't get to reap the benefit of the 12.11 driver performance increase.

7. howzz1854

howzz1854 Member

GPU:
    this thread should be stickied. so more people are aware. hopefully it'll gain enough awareness that somebody either on AMD side or AB side will address it.

8. Unwinder

AB side WON'T address it. People should read what is posted in the thread before jumping into it. Read EULA many times until you get it.

9. howzz1854

howzz1854 Member

GPU:
    can you then shed some light on how one can go about contacting AMD regard this problem? is there an email? or support form to fill out that'll get to the proper channel. someone gotta address this. might as well be me.

10. Unwinder

Once again: read unofficial overclocking EULA slowly a few times. AMD doesn't provide anyy support for it. So does MSI.

11. howzz1854

howzz1854 Member

GPU:
    ok fine. AMD MSI don't officially support it. none the less, we're faced with a problem. a problem that need to be fixed. i am open to suggestions on channels that'll lead to solutions.

12. Unwinder

There are two ways to fix it in post #2. Stop reading, start thinking. You have two workarounds and there is no any "needs to be fixed" because neither AMD nor MSI sell this mode to you. Closed. Damn, I seriously think that power user related things need to be hidden much deeper into the tool to leave those who don't read and don't think behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.