SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    is there anyway to use sweetfx for Silent Hill 2,3 ?
    cus they r dx8 i think

2. evohan

evohan Guest

GPU:
    Asus DCU2 GTX670 4GB SLI
    any sweetfx settings working with dx11 Far Cry 3 ?

3. mypc

mypc Guest

@ceejay.dk can you make a day night settings for sweetfx i mean in game can we switch b/w preset with a key that would be really helpful in games like assassins creed 3 and farcry 3 and gta OR any game which have day and night system.And when is the final version 2.0 is going to arrive any ETA?

4. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    There is no real quality downside when using dithering - the pattern it creates is so subtle you'd have to look at the individual pixel using a magnifying glass to see it.
    You could also take a screenshot and resize (not resample) the image using irfanview to 800% the original size.

The downside is that the pattern does make the image harder to compress though so the filesize of screenshots will be bigger.
    It's also a few extra instructions so the game will run just a tiny bit slower.

It can only dither from a greater input color depth to a smaller so it only really works on the output of the other shaders and not the original image.

The original image is 8-bit per channel, and I need to output it to 8-bit per channel too, but all the calculations done by the shaders are done in 32bit per channel so it works well when I dither from 32bit to 8-bit.

To make it deband the original image I would have to blur/smoothen areas that have a low contrast and then dither it afterwards.

I've done some test using LumaSharpen and a sharp_strength of -1.0 to see if a small fast blur followed by dithering would be enough, and while it helps a tiny bit, it's not good enough.
    I will need to create a shader with a good detection algorithm for these cases and a much stronger and wider blur for it to be really effective.
    That will be after 2.0.

I might be able to make it dither to less than 8-bit though fairly easy. The code for this is already in the shader but the option is not exposed in the settings.
    This would be helpful for people with a crappy 6-bit per channel monitor- which I could then dither to a simulate a less crappy 7-bit per channel monitor. I need to see if I can find a crappy monitor to test on.

EDIT:
    Oh and the download link is now in the previous post and it's on dropcanvas together with SweetFX 1.3

5. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    No ETA for 2.0 - Most likely next year, because I'm busy with the Yule ("Jul" here in Denmark)

I was working on a way to change presets while running for an earlier version but I've kept pushing that feature .. sorry.
    But who knows .. some other programmer might beat me to it.

To change presets you to change the contents of SweetFX_preset.txt to point to another preset.
    To trigger it you need a hotkey program - I was using Hoekey when I last worked on it.

I had this working.
    But you also need to have it change the contents of SweetFX_preset.txt without stealing focus from the game and the script I had written would unfortunately do that and pull you from the game to the desktop, which was super annoying.
    And you would also need to have it consistently trigger in the right path so it would change the right SweetFX_preset.txt for the game you were running at the moment and not in a predefined folder because changing the hotkey commands for every game would be a lot of dull and pointless work.

6. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Nice 2.0 :banana:
    Thanks a lot CJ :banana: 5 days to Christmas and we've got the present already :D

7. QuadReaktor

QuadReaktor Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680 2GB
    SuperDuper CeeJay.dk !! THX.

Are there any Crysis Settings ?

8. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    What are you getting me ? ;)

BTW if anyone didn't secure a copy of Metro2033 for free when THQ had their promotional giveaway a couple of days ago, then I have one left to give.

L6JM4-IANM7-EYLYT

It should work on steam.
    If someone takes this key - write it here in the thread or message me some other way as no one likes to check only to find out it was already taken.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  9. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    CeeJay

nice work. Thank you very much.

I try FXAA. I need to find a good setup but it works good.

#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 9
    #define fxaa_Subpix 0.850
    #define fxaa_EdgeThreshold 0.010
    #define fxaa_EdgeThresholdMin 0.010

1920x1080

[​IMG]

2560x1440@1920x1080

[​IMG]

1920x1080

[​IMG]

2560x1440@1920x1080

[​IMG]

10. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
    Hi all

@CeeJay.dk
    Thanks for the alpha preview edition of SweetFX 2.0.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    woohooooo...

Thanks CeeJay..just the right time for it. i now have officially HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!! so lets get it on, haha

downloading now :)

Greetz BetA

edit:

niceee, u added teh cartoon shader :) Thanks CeeJay *thumbsUP*
    Also, this here: The dither shader now does subpixel dithering, which makes it look slightly smoother.

any chance u can show me how to use this one in MPC HC shader?
    would be a cool thing, since a lot of series have banding on some lcd screens. it might help getting around that problem. would be usefull for a lot of people over at the doom9 forums, where u also are , hehe.. allready spotted u there.. ;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Hey Maken

You have posted the best DS2 shots I ve seen. I am going to start playing it again because of you ..lol

13. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    thx CeeJay.dk ^^

i made a autohotkey script to switch between 2 profiles
    http://ninjafada.com/sweetfx/SwitchFX.exe

you need to have the script in the same folder as SweetFX_preset.txt
    preset1 is SweetFX_settings1.txt
    preset 2 is SweetFX_settings2.txt

alt F1 write #include "SweetFX_settings1.txt" in SweetFX_preset.txt then press Pause

alt F2 write #include "SweetFX_settings2.txt" in SweetFX_preset.txt then press Pause

if you close the game the script stay alive, you can close in the systray green square with a white H

even if it's an .exe it's like a zip with autohotkey.exe and the script.ahk
    so if you use a game who detect autohotkey as a cheat you'll be detected

i'm looking into doing the same thing in C to avoid this issue, but last time i used C was 15years ago :p

14. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    SO far I love the FXAA version. I finally have great anti-aliasing on all these floating objects and random scraps of metal in this room. (click for full size)

[​IMG]

SweetFX really makes these light column explosions look even more amazing.

[​IMG]

Man on man... makes me want to play through this game all over again. More (large) images in spoiler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  15. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Wooot...:giggle2: Solitaire is not there too bad :p :giggle2:
    Too bad i don't have steam n fast connection :)
    That's very kind of you pal..:cheers:

16. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    jim2point0,
    did you use more bleech for screens ?

17. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Ceejay, isnĀ“t it possible to feed the SweetFX the original image?

Like making a copy of the buffer, resample it to 32 bit, Deband, then dither down to 8 bit, to finally output it?

18. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    quick test
    border is very nice
    cartoon hmm not :p

the ui in game got cartoon effect so for mmo and rpg

[​IMG]

even the osd got the effect :(

by default you put the fxaa , gonna test it

19. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
    Hi all.

@The Postman
    Hey, how you been? :D thank you very much, thats a great! game and waiting for DS 3? i cant wait.
    Como va todo con el Stalker?

un saludo de verdad y gracias eso motiva mas para seguir trabajando.

20. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    I don't know what you mean? I dont use bleech.

The above screens are using the same DS2 settings I used for my old screenshots... just with slightly altered FXAA settings. I may have also darked the settings a bit more. I'll post them later on today after I play with FXAA a bit more. But here are some with the sweetfx settings I posted a while ago (thumbnails in spoiler)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.