Assassins Creed III Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Feb 15, 2012.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I hope AC4 takes place during the French Revolution and the Napoleononic wars....

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Does anyone know where I can download the new DLC. I already have the Season Pass, but the Uplay store still says I have to pay for the DLC.

3. Templ

Templ Guest

I finished the game. Well, mostly... I'm at 99% sync. The remaining 1% belongs to those ridicules challenges (like walk into every tavern, WTF?), which I refuse to waste my time on. Took me (don't laugh) 57 hours in total. Longest AC by far. :bounce:

I think it's a worthy sequel, but there's a lot of wasted potential.

First, the good stuff:

- Loved the beginning of the main story (want more missions like the one at the opera house; the atmosphere was just excellent). It was different and I liked it.
    - Liked that villains were not really villains (except for Charles, but more on him later).
    - Superb animations. Seriously. For example, I love that walking down or up the hill actually looks realistic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first game that managed to do this convincingly.
    - The frontier is beautiful and huge. The cities are exactly what I expected them to be. I miss the huge landmarks, but it wouldn't make sense to put them in this time period, so I deal.
    - Naval missions are a great addition.
    - The music is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. While I still miss JK's music, Balfe has done a good job here. I especially like the main theme (really captures the spirit of the colonies) and the track that plays in the temple in present time. Rest are not bad either.
    - Codex is a great help for someone not familiar with American Revolution.
    - Animals are a very welcome addition.

The wasted potential:

- Peg Leg types of missions. They were great, but way too short; which wouldn't be a problem if there were more of them.
    - Main story started out slow but focused. It had great character development, and you always knew what you were doing and why. Then it exploded all over the place (at around sequence 7, I believe). Suddenly, character development didn't seem important anymore. You were pushed into a major event without much context just because the devs wanted the player to be a part of some important historical battle. Luckily, it dos get better later on, but so much more could be done.
    - Connor. There is a great character somewhere in there, but we rarely get to see him.
    - Haytham. Unlike Connor, he was likable from the start, but I wanted so much more of him. He was removed from the game too abruptly. If they ever make another game where you play as Connor, I would like more of Haytham as well (perhaps presented in a way similar to how Altair was presented in Revelations).
    - Homestead missions. While some of those missions are great and I like that I'm a part of the community, I feel they're out of place. I don't want to be an errand boy, a wedding arranger (this one dragged on for way too long), or a pig herder (those annoying pigs, dammit). I'm an assassin, for god sakes. Now, I don't want homestead missions to go away, I simply want there to be tasks befitting an assassin.
    - Forts. While better than towers in Brotherhood and Revelations, they are just as frustrating if you want to be stealthy. Put in some checkpoints or make the controls better because I really don't feel like going through the whole ordeal of trying to stay out of sight just because Connor wouldn't jump where I wanted him to. Some music would've been nice too.
    - Crafting and money making system. They created a great system (much better than in Brotherhood and Revelations) that is largely useless, since there is nothing to spend your money on, and you can craft nothing that would make the game more fun (like introduce some new combat moves or stuff like that). Also, the menus are simply terrible.
    - Hunting. Again, there is little use for it. Not to mention I feel like the worst guy in the world when I kill a beaver. :( Also, stop making me kill wolves or bears. :thumbdown Why are they all automatically hostile? You should be able to get closer before they attack, and not all beasts should act the same (attacking you on sight).
    - Desmond sequences. They were too brief. Not enough interactions with Vidic and Cross. They both came across as incompetent, which is exactly the opposite of what they should be.

The not so good:

- Charles Lee. While you play as Haytham he seems like a reasonable fella, but in Sequence 4 he turns into a comic book villain. WTF, Ubi? Did he grow some wings or what?
    - The orphans. Kill those little devils with fire. They are almost worse than the beggar women in AC1, mostly because you can't do anything to them. At least you could get some satisfaction in AC1 by running a hidden blade through their bellies or throwing them around, but you can do nothing here.
    - Delivery missions. Not fun at all. Frustrating and cheap.
    - Why am I notorious at the frontier? And why is there no way to lower it?
    - Side missions in general are of considerably lower quality than main missions. Most are no fun at all.
    - Fix the horses; it's about time. Horses haven't been upgraded since AC1, animation and movement wise.
    - No music during exploration.

Also, about the ending:

I actually liked it. :p Sets interesting events in motion for future titles. I don't really know why people are disappointed. Sure, it's a more of a templar ending, but the whole game has been trying to show us that the assassin way is not always the right way. Also, it was pretty much the only choice he could've made. If he let the world be destroyed, we might as well call this the last AC game, and personally, I think it's too soon to end the franchise. There's so much more they can do with it.
    All in all, a good game that could've been great. Reminds me of AC1 in a way. I would prefer if they take more time until they release the next one. It will make people excited about it again, which is always a good thing. But knowing Ubi...

Well, it would be a logical next step, that's for sure. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  4. PaYnE18

PaYnE18 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0S
    Hello,I have a similar problem or same actually,I'm in the same place as you just arriving America,if im in front of a house or some close objects,2 buildings etc the GPU usage is like 86-90% constant 60 FPS but when I turn around in an open place you know more distance,the GPU usage goes down to 70-75 and FPS goes down to 40-45-50,have you fixed this? this is annoying,I will keep playing the game maybe there is a problem just with this city lol

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check CPU use on each core.
    A 10% higher overclock might net you close to 10% extra framerate.

6. PaYnE18

PaYnE18 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0S
    Hey,the usage is like this
    Core 1 70-85% usage
    Core 2 65-75% usage
    Core 3 50-65% usage
    Core 4 50-65% usage

sometimes the usage goes up to 80 on all cores but just for a second,my 3570k is overclocked to 4.2,should I overclock higher? I think I didnt overclock more because the system wont start when more overclock,I guess its because the voltage.I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for the CPU

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah the 85% use core could be limiting framerate.
    The 85% use is an average over 1 second, there could be higher peaks in that period.

Clock your CPU a bit more and see if framerate sees an improvement somewhere near the same % or above 1/2 that % difference.

8. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Gotta get myself to finish Fac Cry 3 before unboxing AC3... wuaaahhh...

9. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    that cpu can easliy do 4.5 ghz @ 1.2V . .and you have a beast cooler too.

10. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    Nope, stopped playing because of it. If FPS would stay above 30 it wouldn't be that big of a deal but below 20 (and dropping from around 50-60) is just plain annoying.

There is a post in the Ubisoft forum where apparently the devs are investigating the framerate issue (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...-About-Patch?p=8733895&viewfull=1#post8733895). Since I have other stuff to play for a while I'll just wait and see what happens.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    for companies like this i just want to say Hail pirate bay...

i have the same problem....

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, awful Ubi doing what it does best. I think I'll use the money I had saved for the AC games for Dark souls instead this sale.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Maybe the PC patch will have a few additional fixes specific to such issues?
    (One could always hope.)

18. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    at least skyrim released fixes for the CPU usage/optimization back then D:

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The modding community embarrassed Bethesda enough to get them to do it :p I hope AC3 gets some fixes too.

20. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    oh yeah, i remember lol, even the latest patch of skyrim was trying to improve overall performance and memory optimizations