Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    A multi-band EQ is pretty simple once someone explains it.

The left is low, the right is high. Just lock the left and right separately(in whatever pattern that you want, flat, curved, ect) and move them up or down to your taste. The beauty of multiple bands, is being able to fine tune the signals to match both your preferences and your speaker ranges. :)

That is as lay as I can explain it, and I would ask those who critique the multi-band EQ to give it another go. You really have the same features, and most treble and bass settings are simply moving the left and right thirds/quarters of the same thing in a progressive pattern. Of course, there is a long and technical explanation too, but you don't want to hear it LOL.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    The basic treble and bass control is available for all sound cards. You need only right click on the speaker in the bottom right corner. Click on playback devices. Right click on the speakers and click properties. Click the tone tab.

3. BlackbirdCaD

BlackbirdCaD Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 660 TwinFr
    Wow, that's good to know, then there's no reason to not buy a modern high-end soundcard which always lacks such a basic thing as treble/bass adjustment.
    I have been using ancient drivers for my XtremeGamer because the newer drivers/software removed the bass and treble settings, but now i could update it.
    Although i don't have any reason to update since my card is working perfectly, there would be a risk that something happens so i think i will continue to use the medieval drivers.

4. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Not true. That feature is NOT available for my Xonar ST. It has it's own 10 band EQ in the Xonar Audio Centre you can adjust to your liking or use the usual kind of presets such as Jazz, Rock, Opera, Dance etc. I'm pretty sure it's the same for all Xonar's (DS,DG,DX,D1,D2x,D2,ST,STX).
    I leave all enhancements off and eq settings flat on the Xonar and adjust a slight amount on my amplifier. For stereo pure audio quality I can't think of a better card, especially with upgraded opamps.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

5. rincewind

rincewind Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680
    The Z and the recon are poles apart in terms of audio quality. I have an X-fi Fatility and a Xonar DG, the Z sounds better than both in gaming and music.

While there is no treble control exactly you can turn on crystalizer and turn it down or up as you want. It's not exactly a treble control, but it does sort of the same thing, enhances high frequencies.

But it does have a bass control.

6. rincewind

rincewind Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680
    Not true as Flimbo just said.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah, there isnt a bass/treble control for my external DAC, nor anything connected through HDMI.
    There is no "Tone" Tab.

For music, I use Electri-Q to EQ the sound, its a very high quality EQ that doesnt make use of the Windows sound mapper at all.
    You can select from multiple profiles and do instant A/B switching to test changes.
    It is a installed via a VST plugin in Winamp or Foobar.

8. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Have you looked under windows speaker properties?

The EQ control panel comes with the software for pretty much all highend soundcards. The tone control is a windows feature and is separate.

9. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    I Believe it was a D2x but i'll have to confirm when im next talking to him.

He also only has half decent 2.1 speakers that cost him around £50-£60 he said the other day he was looking to get a better set but he uses his headphones mostly now to keep the lady happy lol.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea you don't wanna make the lady mad or she wll throw the speakers including the sub at you ;).

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I really wonder when the ZxR is going to be released. I bet there's zero chance to get one this year. If my Forte ends up getting proper drivers earlier, well, I may not upgrade.

12. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    Actually Left is deep sounds like bass drums. Right is High sounds like strings and voice.

Depeneding on your media player the layout could be different but 500 should always be in the middle.

windows media player and Recon3d and Z's Control Panel EQ is in this layout. Bass left Strings Right

13. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I really thinking why they made it a 5.1 sound card is because 7.1 setups for gaming is uncommon and that most that do use speakers on their computers usually use 5.1. Then I guess they was looking at how many 7.1 PC speakers are out there and went nah.

I guess your gonna have to upmix 5.1 into 7.1, Or grab something else that does have 7.1 analog support.

15. rspkers

rspkers Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 1.5gb

While I see people mentioning that it's a 5.1 card, I must ask whether it's analog or digital for ZXR, by the pictures there doesn't seem to be the analog connections for a 5.1 speaker setup. I'm debating buying the Zx series over the ZXR for that reason. Or is there something I'm missing in ways to make it analog without going digital?

16. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I have an older card that has 7.1 and I'm sticking with it... I think it was not a good idea at all to not include 7.1 because of the fact that most older cards support it, so think about this, the ones who got 7.1 setups with the older cards are not going to upgrade to only have 5.1 I think it's the worst decision Creative or any other soundcard company could make...

regards,
    RagDoll.

17. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The wait for the ZxR is getting ridiculous and creative are remaining hush hush for some reason.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    You could get something like a Xonar ST if you find one used and if you have room for it. Then get the H6 addon which turns it into 7.1 off ebay or amazon for 50-60. But I doubt you would have room for it. Also a HT omega claro halo would be another option too if you wanna switch from your existing card. As it also have 7.1. But it looks you might not have a choice , and will have to switch down to 5.1 or go HDMI.

Also most people are not using receivers with muiti channel analog inputs to game but PC speaker. I really think that is the main reason why newer cards are 5.1 and not 7.1. Because the 7.1 PC speaker market is dead, Even tho there are receivers with the analog function for 7.1. Because of most people used 5.1 PC gaming speakers.

I think because people had less demand for 7.1 speakers for PC's and they dying out if not dead. That most likely why newer sound cards are now made with 5.1 in mind. Since more people are buying 5.1 PC speakers, then they where 7.1 PC speakers. Which was the same reason why 6.1 PC speakers died off. The demand for 5.1 killed it.

Which why most likely its the same reason why they stopped adding 7.1 to sound card's and making them 5.1. They ignoring the 7.1 analog receiver's because it usually the market sector for HTPC's and those who use it for PC's usually use HDMI for audio instead of Analog. Plus they figure most people would have 5.1 in general and not 7.1.

Those with receivers will either have to upmix it to 7.1,move down to 5.1 or keep their current cards. Plus hope if something was to happen to their existing card, they could find another one with 7.1 analog usage. If you have a sound card with op-amp socket's you can use that to your advance instead of wishing for a Z to have 7.1. That way you can improve it sound, signature as well as making it the sound signature that you are looking for.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  19. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    This says it all, new standards and even some older ones, all 7.1 channels...

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-13817_7-6462511-4.html

Why would creative choose to omit 7.1 It's really poor design in my opinion...

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280

Aye. I screwed my left and right in typing. Silly me, I have over 40 eqs in my house.