EKWB Shows New GeForce GTX 680 Water Block

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    EK Water Blocks shows the EK-FC680 GTX SOC, a new Full Cover (FC) water block for Gigabyte's premium SuperOverclock (GV-N680SO-2GD) edition graphic card. EK-FC680 GTX SOC is a high performance full-...

EKWB Shows New GeForce GTX 680 Water Block

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    All the comments after mine are gonna be about the circles, just watch my words :p

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

All of EK's current gen blocks seem to use a similar design. A little 70's but looks nice.

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Why not show the expected price in, will save us from looking it up. :)

5. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I still don't understand how a slab of metal can cost so much. Was just looking at how much a decent watercooling setup for cpu only would cost... just wow.

6. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Liquid cooling is, for all intents and purposes, insanely expensive due to its niche status. It's a tiny market when compared to desktop sales as a whole and thus the pricing reflects that limited demand and relatively high R&D costs. However, the quality and workmanship of most of these products nowadays is really impressive.

Everything depends on whether you actually have a need for it or not. Running an LC loop for a single graphics card and a mildly overclocked CPU would be overkill. I suppose it'd make sense if you wanted a quiet PC, but even then, that's a bit too much.

The situation changes however, if you were to run a multi gfx setup and a heavily OC'ed CPU. When I added a 3rd GTX 570 to my old setup, there was no way I could air cool it any more (the temps were in the high 90s and that was in winter) and had to move to water cooling, it was the only way to keep things stable and cool inside.

All in all, while getting into LC might be expensive at first, keep in mind that a lot of the stuff that you buy in the beginning will come to serve you for years. I still have both of my initial pumps and two radiators in my loops and I got them 5 years ago, same goes for all the fittings and even tubing. They have outlasted nearly everything else in my PC :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012