Farcry 3!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Strikerx80, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Stuck at work - was only able to barely start the game today before leaving. When I get home I'm going to drink many beers and ride a f#*king shark. Screenshots to come...

You may carry on.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    1920x1080 / 2XMSAA / HDAO / Everything else highest.

60fps min / 90fps avg (so far)

Both GPU's averaging at 55% usage. If I use 8XMSAA they average 95% usage with 50fps min / 70fps avg.

Mouse movement when panning around doesn't look totally smooth at 70fps and below. It gives the appearance of running at a lower refresh rate which is the best way I can describe it (I use 120Hz).

The shadows flicker sometimes when I respawn which is fixed by turning AA off and on again.

Other than that the game is a bit mediocre (IMO), but a step up from FC2 overall. The first hour was really lame, but after that it got a little more interesting as I just explored and messed around...

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Does it remove the minimap or just other parts of the HUD?

Yeah i tried 8x msaa and although it works great 50 fps is quite noticeable to 60 fps so i went back to 4xmsaa.

How people play at 30 fps ill never know, Thats pure torture for me as i cant even play at 50 tbh.

I get shadow flicker all the time on some of the grass but its very subtle, I do not now how to eliminate it totally, I dont think that you can.

4. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Can anyone else confirm performance improvements with the 1.02 update? Maybe using something a little more comprehensive than your "butt dyno". ;)

The 2 far cry threads have helped my e6850 + GTX 260 core 216 combo to reach 33-55fps @ 1200p, 16xAF, noAA but all other settings on very high.
    I can even nail 27fps solid, NO DIP @ 1200p all settings on ultra. That's almost playable! Not too shabby for this old rig! Thanks to everyone.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

5. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    it is.... and it has been....

6. Mikanoshi

Mikanoshi Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    I consider it a totally broken SLI support. At least I have 70-80% usage...

No improvements in fps or GPU usage at all for me on nVidia.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Are you using the right SLI profile, and did you do a clean install with the newest drivers?

8. Mikanoshi

Mikanoshi Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    Me? 310.70 without clean install, SLI profile is for farcry3_d3d11.exe, only changed SLI compatibility bits.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, don't use SLI myself but hear it's supposed to look like this.

If this is what your using then fair enough, but would rather give you duplicate information than none.

10. captain_trips

captain_trips Guest

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    Runs like a dream here :) @2560x1600, all settings maxed and ultra'd where possible.

i7 3770k oc'd to 4.5ghz, 32GB DDR3 Corsair Venegenace 1600mhz, (2) Geforce GTX680's EVGA in SLI, Win 8 Pro, using a Samsung 830 256GB SSD as primary drive and this game is on one of my App drives, 1tb western digitals 64mb cache sata 3.

Playing on Steam, todays 1.02 game patch has updated correctly, and using todays beta 310.70.

In all seriousness, it runs 10x smoother and no texture pop-in. Also looks like vegetation and draw distance have slightly increased in this patch. Graphics look epic withy the Ultra settings from this patch.

However, I'm still using adaptive Vsync from NVidia control panel and leaving the ingame vsync option off. And AA still doesn't seem to work ingame (nor does it seem the control panel does anything if set manually). If I set MSAA to 8x ingame... the framerate drops.. but no visual difference... jaggies still look as they do on 4x or 2x or off?

Not considerably worried about AA... at 2560x1600... not much is really needed.

11. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I tried to play without HUD but the game is too designed around it. -_- We need a toggle. or hide certain elements off only. Only devs can do that I guess.

I would pretty much only hide the map.

12. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    It's certainly a lot harder. Can never tell how much health I have. Or ammo. Gotta pull up the map to see what direction I'm going in...

But it's interesting to just wander around without it. And it makes taking screenshots a lot easier :) In-game screenshot key doesn't capture sweetfx and comes out blurry a lot of the time...

13. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    Meh. Even at 3840x2160, I still want a litltle bit more AA. I just feel like I can see aliasing... I guess it's more detectable in motion.

Here's a 2160p screenshot with no in-game AA... just SMAA from sweetFX

Crap. Sorry for double post :(

14. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    My god the game doesn't even look all that great and performs so ew.

15. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Do you get white outlines in the distance since the last patch/last drivers?

[​IMG]

16. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Hi guys

Sorry if this question was made before, 11 pages to find

Do you prefer HDAO or HBAO for Nvidia? I have here 2 GTX 580 SLI, really don`t know the difference

The GPU Frame Buffer the big number better quality?

And for 2560x1440 resolution monitor 16:9 do you use widescreen lettebox in game?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    HDAO is so very subtle it might not even be noticeable in most interior locations (Which is actually kinda similar to the newest Skyrim ENB method for AO come to think of it.), HBAO still has a problem with making very dark outlines even on objects that wouldn't have them but at least the effect will be noticeable (I still use HDAO though.) and SSAO is a bit faster but makes even more of those black splotches so I'd avoid that one unless you like that effect. :)

EDIT: Frame buffer should be the same as frames rendered ahead, default is one but you can increase it to improve well I'm not quite sure if it was stuttering or for SLI/Crossfire or what it really does again, can't remember. :)

EDIT: Letterboxing should just give black bars, I think 16:9 is what the game is kinda designed around so you should avoid it, I'd avoid it anyway as I dislike having screen space taken up by nothing.
    (Some people like it as it gives some cinematic feel or such but I've never felt like that's the result of having those.)

18. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    I think I was actually getting those white outlines in DX11 using in-game AA before the patch. No sure if it was the FXAA, MSAA, or the A2C. I don't use any of those now...

19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Alright I started using MSAA so that must be that... but downsampling is kinda weird in this game... It kinda blurs everything a bit. I know that most effects are tied to resolutions so I don't know...

Like if I put on 1920x1200 and then I try 1300p just for the sake of it, 1300p comes quite a lot more blurry.

edit: Alright the culprit was in-game FXAA.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
  20. captain_trips

captain_trips Guest

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    It was hard to break me from Farcry 2 being my favorite in the series.

Farcry 3 has gone above and beyond, and may possibly be one of the best, if not the best FPS game I've played in a great, great many years, if not contender for the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.