Should i go green or stay red?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by NeuroFunkeR, Dec 3, 2012.

1. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    Hi guys, thinking to upgrade from my 6970 to something more powerful, so i wonder, should i stay red, and get me a 7970 + 3 free games content promised by AMD [far cry 3, hitman absolution and sleeping dogs] Or maybe get geforce 670, since i wont necessary spend more then 400$ for new gpu, or maybe i should wait some, until ati 8's series arrive?

Also i'm curious, how well does 7970 compete against latest nvidias, are there many driver related problems, graphics/performance issues with ati, or most have been fixed with latest drivers?

Greetz...

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    8000 series wont arrive until Q2 2013 so no point waiting.
    Bealive it or not drivers are fine this time around and 7970 is quite powerful gpu (more or less same as gtx680) depending on the game.

If you really feel you need an upgrade go for red again, 7970 is a beast you cant go wrong.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    NeuroFunkeR i can say nvidia have bigger problem with drivers than AMD .U can see this on forums.Dont expect drivers from Nvidia like from AMD with huge boost.And soon we can expect AMD Drivers include DX9 Performance Boost(Check Release note on 12.11 beta) .

4. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    Buying 7970 or GTX 670
    No doubt ,GTX 670 cant Compare with 7970 and only change your way because go Green.Im not fanboy of AMD(I have two graphics AMD+Nvidia ) .

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I went green a 660ti I game at 1080p and its awesome but green or red both have great cards. have fun deciding it is a nightmare.

1 what res do you game at
    2 what do the reviews say about cards at chosen res
    3 PSU requirements
    4 which brand has best warranty / Rma
    5 cost

that's what I use when I upgrade GPU's

6. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    well, i was browsing through various gpu bench articles, usualy the oc'ed 7970 ghz editions, were on top at various tests. I was unsure about drivers, i've heard many people did complain about amd drivers, and were showing nvidias as a good example, so i wondered, if ati still had drivers probs, that would make no sense, to get and have good fps, but constant game crashes/bsod, fps drops etc, if i could have lower fps but stable gaming experience with nvidia.

So far, i can say, it's nearly perfect with my current ati gpu, only few games like arma 2, have bad performance, and no crashes or bsod, for quite a looong time :)

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Drivers have been great plus free games.. Id get the 7970

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nvidia, Generally better drivers and better gaming profiles.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Stick with AMD I say. Better value and performance, and the drivers at the moment are fantastic. The naysayers are usually people who have used nothing but Nvidia for long periods of time, and have little or no real experience with current AMD products.

10. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    How can you say that when you dont own an AMD card? You have no experience in the matter.

There are no perfect drivers in either brand. AMD offers a great gaming experience with single or multi gpu setups.

We dont have to play with flags :nerd:

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    7970 + 3 free games content promised by AMD sounds like a much better deal then the 670. better performance and free games!

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    So far, i can say, it's nearly perfect with my current ati gpu, only few games like arma 2, have bad performance, and no crashes or bsod, for quite a looong time :)[/QUOTE]

I read about green and red team complaing about drivers I went green because I am happy with there drivers ive not had an ATi/AMD card in a long time but I bet Green/Red drivers are about the same some good some bad

13. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Yeah i would be upfront about the drivers if they sucked but they dont. They have been top notch. I play black ops 2 with 8xssaa edge detectx24 and get 60 fps looks beautiful. Every game i play now plays great. In the most recent benchmarks 7970 ghz beats out 680 most of the time. So even if you get a regular 7970 just overclock to 1050 to get the same performance or get a referance and flash it with the ghz bios like I did. Farcry 3 is 50 bucks you wont be having to pay and 2 other games.

14. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    i see, well yeah, look like i'm gona stay RED then, ty guys for fast and constructive replies!

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Darren Hodgson "confirmed" for me everything i wanted to know regarding amd drivers as i was thinking of getting an AMD card at one time.

Ill ask Darren to pop in here and give his opinion, He was once a fan of AMD until he went Nvidia and from what i remember he said Nvidia were much better regarding gaming profiles and Anti Aliasing.

Also problems with AMD drives come up when you go Crossfire, There fine when you have 1 GPU.

My realife friend has 2x6970's and ive seen the stuttering for myself but using one card was great on BF3.

Ive had SLI since the Voodoo 2 days going through many cards in SLI configuration and ive never had any problems, Even with the so called Stuttering 295's that people shouted about.....again with the 295's i got no problems at all from 1996-2012.

All i can say is i guess people were doing something wrong.

Edit.....Ive sent Darren a message to pop in here and give his experience.

16. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Lol wow.... ok who is "Darren Hodgson" ? Another thing is what do ancient drivers have to do with the ones that are being produced today?

17. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    lol duno who's that either. But yeah, i wont do X-fire, single GPU should be fine.

18. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I respect everyone's opinion and I surely respect yours. Regarding Darren, I know he had problems with crossfire and console ports. However, his experience doesnt make most of AMD users experience. I am glad he has no issues with his current set up.

Back to AMD topic, OP mentioned a 7970 and most people will tell that that card is better value than 680/670 for the extra games and good experience overall.

I have had AMD crossfire since 4870x2 + 4890 and there have been problems here and there but in the end of the day I am happy user, and I have been buying AMD products for that reason.

PS Tell your real friend to play with some settings and in the catalyst control panel, that might be the cause of the stuttering.

19. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    I just switched from a tri sli setup to a XFX 7970 It beats out my tri sli 470s in most cases. Im loving it big time. Im even using beta drivers and cant wait for some new driver support. I smoke every game without issue. I'm beating out a GTX680 for less money. I went with this and the 3 free games(sleeping dogs,hit man and far cry for free plus 30 MIR. Cant beat it!!! Im playing sleeping dogs and it rocks all maxed out with high res pack and 80FPS. You cant go wrong either way you go nvidia or ati. Best bang for the buck in the graphics section right now is ATI...

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah ok mate.

The OP has made his decision anyhow so it guess it dont really matter anyhow.

As long as people are happy with there setups then it dont matter even if they are getting stuttering,artifacting, crashing, PC going on fire etc etc

My friend has stuttering but he doesnt care he said, He just gets on with it and says its not all that bad.

Im a little different however, I like everything to run like clockwork and its like the old saying "If aint broke then why fix it".

My friend tried everything in the catalyst and still couldnt fix it.

Edit......I tried his 2xGPU's in my rig and it worked ok with no stuttering on BF3, This was only game i tried. So like i said along time ago in another thread i put it down to motherboards and other hardware all working together.

But like i said "generally" which means the majority on a basic level, I feel Nvidia drivers are more compatible in this area when it comes to SLI/CFX.