How to get proper SLI scaling in Far Cry 3. (DX11 mode)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by drac, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    OK I tried all this and still nothing. 2X 670's in SLI and only 1 working. I followed everything and its just not working. Pulling my damn hair out. Any additional ideas please?

2. Kizenco

Kizenco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 570 1280MB SLI
    Ok, this is weird... I had all the problems that you guys had, and tried NVIDIA Inspector and everything, nothing worked. Then when I suddenly come home from school, it just works...
    I did download a NVIDIA Profile the day before, but it didn't have any impact on my performance, but that was the last thing I did, i suggest you guys try it out, but make a backup of your current profile before adding this one.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371710

It works now, both GPU's are working, but I still get the feeling that I don't get the full power from my cards, so I'm still going to wait for a patch. Good luck!

Edit: Spelling mistake

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    * Post deleted *

4. muskusos

muskusos Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570 SLI
    Having tried all improvements in this thread, I now average 35 FPS, with a max of 59 and min of 22. I benchmarked 2 minutes of the part where you get in the car for the first time and hunt for boar skins & leafs.

This on 1920x1080, Vsync 1 frame, Ultra settings, 2xMSAA, SSAO on and Alpha To Coverage standard.

35 average is fine, but the 22 minimum does bother me. I'd like to see minimum remain above 30....

I'm running GTX 570 SLI, with both cards now kicking in, however never using more than 95% and mostly around some 60%. I have the impression that there's still headroom left for more power and better performance.

But I'm kind of lost whether better performance is possible with my current settings and current rig... Anyone have any idea? I know my i7 920 is getting older and the game does heavily rely on CPU, but should 4Ghz not be sufficient for a 30 FPS minimum?

EDIT: I did something stupid. Instead of installing the new 310.64 drivers, I chose the wrong file and apparently reinstalled 310.61. Hence the bad performance. :stewpid: Now my average FPS is 52, with max 65 and min 35. All is well!

5. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Lucky you. Glad you got it sorted. I, however, am still screwed with no hope in sight.

**FOCK YOU NVIDIA**

6. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Ok, are all your other games working is SLI as normal?

7. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Yes sir. No problems in other games.

8. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    If you have entered the correct sli bits and its still not showing have you tried a clean install so it removes all profiles and puts them on fresh?
    Did you have any problems altering the SLI bits in inspector?
    Just can't think of a reason why the other card is dormant?

9. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    You have to see 60 fps min. with 2x 570 and that config.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Im getting an min of 40 or so, avg of 55 and the highest ive seen it go in my system is 65ish, so Im not surprised his 570's are ding what they are.

11. Dorak

Dorak Guest

GPU:
    XXX
    For general informations : with a 690 i got 60-70 FPS using the custom SLI bit.

More like 60 most of the time and can dip to 50 in really heavy zones.

Everything in ULTRA ( even water ), DX11 and MSAA X4 ( ingame MSAA ).

12. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    A "clean" install? Does that involve registry stuff? I have just been playing without AA and getting good FPS with a single card. Starting to think its just broken for me and not worth the hassel. Let them fix it in a few months. Screw em.

13. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    First off, I think that your CPU bottlenecked. With anything above a single card in the 5xx (or similar for ATI) range, your not going to be getting even close to what you should be with a more powerful CPU.

Try vsync frame 2 if you have a 120hz monitor. Other than the settings you already have which are good, all you can do is tone down the quality settings to very high, high or med.

Wait for driver and game updates, the game engine is poorly optimized for SLI to say the least.

14. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    HOLY BALLS! It WORKS! Thanks to you guys that is. I had to uninstall nvidia driver, redownload it, do the whole inspector thing and bam, it worked.
    Both 670's are in the 90%+ range and FPS is the same or more than it was without AA, but now 4X AA is on. It takes the entire second card to absorb the impact of 4X AA....so damn. But it works great. Thanks again.

BTW: All Ultra 4X AA 1080p getting between 60fps and 90fps or so. No slowdowns with explosions or anything.

15. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    That's great!! If you get any sudden low drops in frame-rate there are 2 fixes.

Turn water to medium, I think in ultra it renders unseen water so medium fixes this until patch.

Blood decals seem to turn off sli or drop gpu usage, only way around this seems to be to turn in game AA off then its fine.

16. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Custom sli bits I posted in this thread fixes that problem.

17. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Yes, I am using them but every now and again the problem happens again.Very strange. I came out of game and restarted and all was fine.

Nvidia update ran an sli update yesterday and changed my bits back to default so it may be best to untick automatic check as this will happen.

Can you confirm that setting water to medium in gamer profile and making read only and them getting into game and setting water to very high stops the frame drop we were getting before? Still get very high water this way but no drops.

18. Nirvana91

Nirvana91 Guest

GPU:
    7950 @ 1210/1500
    I´m still having the issue of every time I fire a weapon I suffer a huge fps loss!!

HELP!!!

19. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I noticed an anomaly near one particular enemy outpost. When looking at the outpost, GPU usage drops to 50% on each card and FPS tanks. Look the other way and its fine.
    Also, tried multiplayer for like 5 minutes and GPU usage seems to fluctuate a lot, but maybe thats due to more CPU load. Anyway, who knows. At least the game runs great and uses SLI now.

EDIT: Noticed something interesting about the day/night cycle. Apparently, walking causes the earth to rotate. And if you stop walking, the earth stands still. Watch the moon and stars, maybe the sun as well in the sky as you walk. Watch by the horizon and it becomes obvious.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  20. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Nirvana91 and darrensimmons, changing sli bits solve the problem in my case for every launch of the game. Using ultra settings (water and postfx included).