How to get proper SLI scaling in Far Cry 3. (DX11 mode)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by drac, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    So I suspect I shall be running the game beautifully at a stunning 800x600 resolution with all settings turned up to low at a whopping 30 fps with my humble GTX 690/3570k system..can't wait :)

2. T4Sc

T4Sc Guest

GPU:
    SLI MSI GTX560Ti TFII/OC
    Just registered here (been meaning to do so for a while, but this pushed me over the "finish line") in order to say thank you for providing this fix.

I had to re-detect the game through the nVidia control panel first, then open inspector to modify the SLI DX11 bits section, and now I have everything Ultra, except MSAA x2, which is perfectly fine 1920x1200. Running between 60-70 frames most of the time! Really stoked!:)

Thanks guys! And there was me thinking I needed to upgrade....

3. Kizenco

Kizenco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 570 1280MB SLI
    I have seriously tried everything mentioned here, my other GPU will still only work at 3-5%...
    I have to play with DirectX 9.0 because SLI actually works with it.
    I've added the executable DirectX 11 version of Far Cry 3, and edited the codes, but I still only get like 15-20fps.
    Here's my setup:

2x GTX 570's in SLI
    Intel Core i7-2600K processor, stock speed
    8GB RAM

I don't know what's wrong, is there any other explanation? Any updates about nVidia patching this thing?

4. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Check the obvious. Do you have SLI enabled in control panel?

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This actually caps the framerate to half that of the refresh rate by the way so on a 60 Hz display it'll be locked to 30 fps, i.e. it updates every 2 frames instead of one. Unless you want to use that to give more consistent performance instead of the 30 to 60 and anywhere inbetween framerate then I would suggest leaving Vsync on 1 frame. I initially set it to 2 and was baffled as to why the real-time cutscenes and the game were locked at 30 fps.

6. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia FE 3070
    at point 5. How do you edit it? I've clicked and right clicked but it doesn't allow me to edit.

Thanks

7. T4Sc

T4Sc Guest

GPU:
    SLI MSI GTX560Ti TFII/OC
    You simply click on the value in the "Setting Value" column. No need to right-click or similar.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    My settings.
    Dx11.exe.
    1920*1200
    Everything on Ultra
    MSAAx4
    Vsync 1
    Water medium( Eliminates Stutter)

Inspector DX11 SLI flag...0x0C1902F5

Everything runs smooth and is a constant 60fps at all times no matter what im doing in game.

Temps do not go higher than 70 degrees tops at 70% fan speed.
    All is good.

9. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia FE 3070
    Thank You. :)

Has anyone noticed some strange shadowing around the character models?

10. noname

noname Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX590
    Hi guys,

will this inspector thingy work with a GTX590?

It looks like I'm having the same problem, only one GPU is at full load.. the other one is at 1~5%..

Thanks

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's the ambient occlusion I believe. Try switching to a different type to see if it reduces it or turn it off completely.

12. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I had to switch back to the official Far Cry SLI flag get better minimum fps.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Exactly the same temperatures here too except I'm running maxed out Water detail, not surprising given how similar our specs are. I thought the alternate flag caused stuttering on my system compared with the default but it turned out to be caused by setting MSAA to 8x. With 4xMSAA and the 0x0C1902F5 flag I do get much smoother performance that is 60 fps for 99.9% of the time.

The only issue I'm having is some odd flickering in the shadows of grassy areas but I suspect that is the ambient occlusion (I'm using HDAO). I've also forced 16xAF in the driver profile.

This game is really great. I've been exploring, which is fun, but it's the story that I find really appealing this time round, especially as the island location is so much more attractive and interesting to explore. I was actually looking around an abandoned outpost when I got mauled by a cheetah in a surprise attack and died! Awesome stuff (the cheetah attack not the fact that I died)! :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i think ill force AF from driver profile also.

15. Divvy

Divvy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Just posting to say thank you, Maldo, for these bits. They solved my sporadic slowdown issues with GTX480 SLI.

16. thePoison

thePoison Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5
    Still doesn't explain why after doing the tweak and added the exe in the inspector why Farcry MULTI GPU Option doesn't show (NVIDIA RECOMMENDED SLI) in the control panel under the 3d profile.

17. F3ckB9LL

F3ckB9LL Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    590gtx here run great @ 60fps almost all time, maxed on ultra but no MSAA ;)

thx for the 0x0C1902F5 bit ;)

18. noname

noname Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX590
    I get 80+ fps with the GTX590 but its still unplayable, the imagem seems to drag all over the screen.. Its not fluid..

Also, I have to set the shadows and post FX to medium, else the fps won't go higher than 40.

19. MasterVampire

MasterVampire Active Member

GPU:
    GTX TITAN !
    I have a 590 too and i get 60fps but when I set 2xmsaa I get about 45fps.

What do you get with 2xmsaa?

20. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I see, wasn't sure exactly what it was doing other than capping me at 60 fps (120hz monitor). It seems to make things a little smoother with no real negative impact that I can see if your @ 120hz evidently. Will try frame 1 again though.

I still get the occasional 45 to 60fps dips which I'm assuming everyone gets at ultra settings, so I just ignore it because its not bad.

Bring on the updates... because honestly and I'm referring to just visuals here, yes the game looks great but there are similar looking games that run a lot better. :3eyes:

edit: tried frame 1 again for a while, stutter ville (SLI bug?), so back to frame 2 we go.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012