G3D 2012 Christmas/holiday brews thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by John, Nov 15, 2012.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    need to get myself a Glencairn me thinks..

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I thought you meant you warmed it like those brandy morons.

I see you mean you air it/ lit it sit alone.

Never lid it?

Do it!

Royal Mile Whisky do them albeit branded but cheaper when ordering with whisky anyway.

Can use a wine glass if your not already.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm using a "fish bowl" tumbler atm but I saw some glencairns on eBay for like 7 quid, actually just bought one :)

4. aircool

GPU:
    Use a teaspoon to gauge it, depends on each and everyones palate.

Older whiskies 15-18 years+ easy on the water and the same goes for sherried whisky imo.

Cask strength, well you will have find whats right as its different lol.

In Uigeadail I'll add 2-3+ teaspoons as its not actually that harsh whereas in Craft Presented whisky i.e. 46% / non chill filtered at most 1-2 teaspoons.

5. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Definitely not warming it in that way! Lol I just pour some into a glass and enjoy it slowly letting it evolve over time.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have been using 1 teaspoon so far, I find that I need more with Glendronach so I did 2 spoons (they're not exactly full teaspoons though, more like 3/4). Will experiment with Laphroaig quarter cask tomorrow but I think I'll start on 2 spoons there after trying Talisker tonight again, with slightly more water compared to yesterday (1.5 spoons) and I actually liked it this time. I know the Laphroaig will be a challenge but I like to love things others hate in general, I like a taste bud challenge so bring it on!!!

Also, decided to get myself some bottled spring water to use in my drams, the tap water here is disgusting, it comes out of the tap white, takes a minute to clear. so I thought why spoil a good whisky with a sh1tty hard water full of chlorine and whatnot.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Them Canadians make the best Stuff......

[​IMG]

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no, just no. I haven't personally tried it, but I think it's only fair to say that that the best whisky comes from somewhere in scotland (depending on your taste). Although it's all down to pp, some people might prefer Bells to a £500 bottle of scotch so go figure :) overall though, canadian whisky is hardly considered a scotch beater :p

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Trust me...Try it... Canadians have that smooth stuff, Somehow 200+ years ago...They learned it?

[​IMG]

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm.. when I see those ice cubes and lemon... don't think that's THE serious drink for me. thing is, and don't get me wrong, I would probably like it. Hell, I like double JDs and coke, or mount gay rum with coke and a wedge of orange. it all depends on the occasion. When I'm out, I'll drink JDs, rums, vodkas etc... when staying in, after a long day at work, I appreciate what a single malt is trying to offer. There's just so many different ones out there and it's a proper journey that I just started. This is also why as of tomorrow I'm starting to explore Islay whisky and I know I'll dislike the first few sips of the Laphroaig, but I want to experience new things, what I often hate is when people tell me they don't eat this and that, because they don't like it, then I find out they never gave it a chance.

Again, don't get me wrong, I would probably love Crown Royal on a night out, on loads of ice etc, but I don't think I would call it the best whisky out there (you didn't really mean that, did you?)

I might actually try Crown Royal, found it on whisky exchange and it's pretty cheap so maybe it could be my bottle that I use to mix with some coke or have it over a ton of ice, although I think I'll prefer something like a JD or a black grouse in the end.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Well!...USA made whiskey/anything...Sucks!!!...Thats why we/I buy Canadian Stuff:)...from Seagram's Seven to Crown Royal.......Good Stuff...:)

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    now then, I know Seagram's Seven Crown!!! Jesus, blast from the past, I got completely smashed on that on NYE 1996!!! haven't had it since, it's not readily available in the UK. But I remember it was quite easy to drink, but then again, I was only young, I would probably not like it now haha.

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Seagram's Seven is from the same Whiskey Barrel as Crown Royal:)

Seagram's Seven is 7 years old....Crown Royal is 12 years old,(same barrel):)

Good Stuff:cheers:

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh I don't think I'd like crown royal then, it doesn't taste much like whisky from what I remember. glad you like it though.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    OK....:cheers:

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hehe, December will be full of social drinking, can't wait. I have been very busy this year and only been out out a few times this year but I'll make up for it in December. bring it on.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    My Laphroaig quarter cask just arrived at work, just had a little dram and I have to say I like it a lot more than I expected, I can easily drink this, it's lovely!!! was expecting a lot more smoke and peat, but it's very pleasant. can't wait to have a bit more tonight.

18. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I'm a massive fan of whisky and can't get enough of Laproaig and in particular the various different Ardbegs I have tried. However the thread is Christmas drinks and I live in NZ where it will be the middle of Summer at christmas time so drinks usually consist of some gin & tonic, mojito's and lager style beer. I save the dark beer and peated scotch for the colder months :)

19. aircool

GPU:
    Have a scottish mojito then :p

Thats Irn Bru, Whisky and sage (ice and sugar).

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    right so... bought a bottle of Old Pulteney today... so now my collection is...

1. Old Pulteney 12 YO
    2. Balvenie 12 YO Doublewood
    3. Glendronach 15 YO Revival
    4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask

here's a pic of my beauties :)

[​IMG]

Have to say I'm surprised by how good the Old Pulteney is. I prefer it to the Balvenie 12 YO, it's a lot more intricate. Really nice. Problem is I got ripped off at my local Tesco, paid £29 for that bottle. Still, it's easily worth even that sort of cash. You can clearly see that I'm struggling with the Laphroaig a little bit atm :p

EDIT: was gonna order another bottle of Glendronach today, until I chipped a tooth eating lunch, dentist fixed it but that was £48. now that's roughly what a Glendronach would cost me so I thought I'll wait till next week. Glendronach is epic, seriously guys, I know I've said this before, but it is just pure gold. At £45 delivered it's also very good value.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012