HP Pavilion dv6-6001sa Windows 8 / Driver Help

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Zeroko, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Zeroko

Zeroko Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX
    Hey Guru 3D Community,

I have recently upgraded my pc and laptop to Windows 8 Pro. Works great on my pc but no so well on my laptop. (HP Pavilion dv6-6001sa)

I have switch-able graphics and there is no drivers for windows 8 on the manufactures website. The most recent drivers no not install and the legacy drivers on work for my lower-end card in my laptop.

My lower end card is a "Radeon HD 4200m" and my high-end is "AMD Radeon HD 6470M (512 MB DDR3)"

The 6470m appears on device manager as a 7400m and also no drivers will install for it and get it to work, always has an exclamation mark next to it.

TL;DR - Cant find drivers that work with windows 8 and my switchable ati graphics HD4200m - HD6470m.

Laptop Spec List - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02818535&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5080994

Please help guys. Thanks :)

Update* Tried these drivers http://leshcatlabs.net/index.php/2012/11/catalyst-12-11-beta4-unifl-for-amdintel-graphics/

Gives me a code 9 error on my 6400m and its still saying its a 7400m which is obviously wrong =/

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Zeroko

Zeroko Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX
    if this can be done with some modded .inf files and another driver could someone please post me some links, Thanks

3. arthur

arthur Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4250m + 5650m
    Hello Zeroko, this happen because ATI Stopped the development of drivers in 4000 series, so when you install the 6470M the 4000 conflict with him.
    I had the same problem, try follow these steps

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371434

AND DON'T FORGET the step of regedit, without that, you will got BSOD
    and please, make a backup ;p

good luck sir

4. Dynastar

Dynastar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC

5. Zeroko

Zeroko Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX
    Tried that, but it made my high-end card dissapear completly from my computer and i cant get it to come back, also the low-end card is still using the same driver =/

Im going to try Dynastars idea next :p

6. giuli1993

giuli1993 Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD 4250/6650m
    I think you are not doing a clean instalation.
    Uninstall Catalyst and then use the driver sweeper on safe mode.
    after this follow the steps that arthur write above

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  7. arthur

arthur Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4250m + 5650m
    when i installed the first time, I had this same problem, I did not know about this driver sweeper in safe mode, then i formatted my notebook and worked fine, but I believe that a clean install of catalyst is enough for you.

good luck

8. Zeroko

Zeroko Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX
    Ok, I followed all yours steps and I got the high-end card to install 12.11 beta 8 but it still says it is a 7400m instead of a 6400m.

My low end card has a yellow exclamation mark next to it and it has the 1.1 driver. Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I cant set graphic settings in catalyst as they do not come up.

What should i do from here?

9. Zeroko

Zeroko Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX
    Update* Restarted computer, BSOD and had to refresh my computer. So i'm back to square one =/

10. wajed

wajed Guest

GPU:
    HD 6
    Your laptop spec sheet (the link you provided) doesn't mention HD4200.

Your laptop doesn't even have switchable graphics (according to the spec sheet), and you only have one card, the AMD Radeon HD 6470M.

11. Zeroko

Zeroko Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX
    [​IMG]

i beg to differ :)

12. Zeroko

Zeroko Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX
    I give up with this, I'm going back to windows 7 on my laptop, Thanks for trying people. Close this thread if you want to mods :)

13. tomcat14

tomcat14 Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics 2500
    ATI HD 6470M Windows 8 problem

I had the same problem with graphic card ATI HD 6470M on my HP Pavilion G7-1223sm and I found the solution here.

Original drivers for my notebook model from official page didn't work for me either. After installation drivers, Windows 8 was still detecting my graphic card as ATI HD 7400M with error code 43.

I downloaded SP58660 and installed it, when the Catalyst Logo appeared I canceled the installation (this extracted the SP58660 to my hard drive only).

I went directly to Control Panel->Device Manager->Display Adapter. Right clicked on HD 7400 and update the driver. I pointed to location "C:\swsetup\SP58660\Packages" and Windows automatically installed driver.

Now everything works fine, in the device manager is ATI HD 6470M without any error code. :)