GTX 680 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by qwwwizx, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Just did some overclocking myself. I got what I wanted to achieve. I made it to 1.2ghz on the core but just barely. Using a gpu offset of +130, the boost clock is 1189mhz but it goes up to 1202mhz in the Heaven benchmark. If I use +140, the benchmark passes but it downclocks itself to 1900ish and the average fps stays the same.

Knowing this I left it at +130 and checked how high the memory would go. This surprised me the most! It runs fully stable at 7ghz (mem offset +500)!!! I only used the Heaven benchmark to check stability. Gonna fire up BF3 now ;)

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: using a custom 1:1 fan profile, temps never exceeded 68°C!!!

2. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    Just played BF3 for an hour and a half. Not a single crash or artifact ;)

3. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Mine finally achieves 1220 MHz boost without probs. First time i've got one GPU that overclocks well ^^

4. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    ok for me it looks like a game issue with TERA somewhat, good news :)

error was without OC, looks like forced SGSSAA is the culprit

5. NRG_XL

NRG_XL Guest

GPU:
    R6950 tfrozr II 2GB
    I don't get why guru3d is making the geforce cards look better while a 7970oc vs gtx680oc fight is won by the hd7970...even when the geforce gets a higher clocked core i7 it looses:

Vantage / 3D'11 results of max oc'ed 680 + i7 3930@5.0ghz: P41574 / P11304

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2628/26/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review-overklokken

Vantage / 3D'11 results max oc'ed 7970 + i7 3930@4.8ghz: P43286/P12112

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2510/7/radeon-hd-7970-overclocking-review-resultaten-single-xfx-dual-dissipation

Sorry to say but this thought crosses my mind: Maybe nvidia spends a little sponsoringmoney on guru3d? How silly because the guru3d crowd will know there's something not right as soon as the charts appear...what's up with that guys?

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    How about we compare the cards when the 7970 doesn't have a 150+mhz oc over the 680?
    http://www.hardware heaven.com/reviews/1455/pg1/asus-geforce-gtx-680-oc-vs-r7970-oc-vs-gtx-580-oc-performance-review-introduction.html
    Given the 680 in that review is still a little behind in clocks, It's a lot more fair to compare. Now which cards ahead?
    The 680..

Before throwing accusations around, worry about your own credibility?

7. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    That's a pretty bold statement. You don't even own both cards and you're accusing guru3d of being paid by nvidia just because your favorite team loses. Let me tell you one thing that is extremly important for gamers: smoothness. It has been mentioned in reviews before, the GTX680 offers a smoother gameplay experience than the HD7970, even though the HD7970 wins if you're purely looking at fps.

Here's a quote from the hardocp review when they tested single gpu's in the Witcher 2, still one of the most demanding pc games out there:

THIS is important to me. What gain do I have if I have a gpu that may hit higher fps but gives me a less smoother gameplay?

8. NRG_XL

NRG_XL Guest

GPU:
    R6950 tfrozr II 2GB
    well ehm both products are pushed to their max...the geforce is the only product that's being helped by the reviewer because the i7 3930 cpu speed is 5 ghz vs 4.8ghz for test with the the amd card. Plus the boostclock of the gtx680 tops at 1200 mhz as well. The throttling system of the new nv-generation is just a terrible thing when it comes to performance but nobody is forcing them to use it..

9. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That little CPU oc isn't going to make much of a difference, the 7970 running @ 1300 compared to a 680 @ 1170 boost (not 1200) will.
    There are many users within this very thread with much higher clocks than 1170, and I've even posted a review from another site where the clocks are similar and higher. Take a closer look next time before accusing G3D.

10. NRG_XL

NRG_XL Guest

GPU:
    R6950 tfrozr II 2GB
    Well I think hardocp forgets to turn off powerplay which made the card throttle. I know from my own experience amd used to have less spikes and lows in teh hd4xxx, hd5xxx and the hd6xxx because they had more shaders (which run at a lower speed) It could be right that the tables turned in that area.

I'm not saying the game-experience of the amd card is better..I'm saying the numbers in the review are asking for an explanation about why they are different than they normally are with these configs.

11. NRG_XL

NRG_XL Guest

GPU:
    R6950 tfrozr II 2GB
    Sure I'm questioning my current opinion as well. I'm wondering how come the data are different than I feel they should be. I want that uncertainty to be cleared out and that's why I am asking for input. I checked the hardwareheaven benches again and read through the entire test. The fist time i left the site because their graphs are extremely annoying. I dont know the reviewer so it doenst give me much information. the results don't give my point of view any backup.

I very much avoid this site normally because i have a bad feeling about their results that are also not very much in line with each other and other reviews...

12. NRG_XL

NRG_XL Guest

GPU:
    R6950 tfrozr II 2GB
    ok, I'll say it again then:

Both cards run at max speed!

The clockspeeds will always be different because the cards are not equal to each other!!!???

These cards were tested at the same moment in time. The current 680 results cannot be comapred to the 7970 in this test. The 7970 got faster as well lately...the yields are better now and oc versions of the card will be released soon....And that's all non-information when it comes to the benchmarks published untill now.

capiche?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  13. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The site you linked is pushing a higher score because of the hardware used, G3D's setup is kept the same (still powerful) to show proper comparisons with previous cards.
    The reason you see the 7970 ahead in your link is because of the large overclock they gave it compared to the small one they gave the 680.
    When reading reviews, it's important to take note of the testbeds they run on.

I'll say it again, they had a small OC for their 680. There are users within this forum with much higher clocks.

Lol.. I can see there's no point in continuing this conversation anymore.

14. Hugo

Hugo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    Hello people, i´m new here on the forum, i´ve got a EVGA GTX680 SC and i can´t go further than more 30/40 MHZ in both memory and gpu clock. Is it save to flash the bios and unlock it to get a higher clock???? Is it possible to flash it to a Asus bios??? I´m runnig the beta 301.25 driver but i think the most stable was the 300.99, what driver are you guys runnig???

15. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7900GRE
    You might not be able to push that Graphics card any further than that because you already have an overclocked graphics card out of the box.

16. Hugo

Hugo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    Steve thank you for your answer but i was running a Sli of GTX460 OC editition by Gigabyte 715MHZ and 1800MHZ in stock and i was able to push it @ 900MHZ and 2200MHZ with more mVoltage ofcourse during 2 years and they still working as charm.. Any guy with a 460 is able to OCít with more 200MHZ at least..I just want to know the limit of the card since there is more overclocked releases on the marked with the same bios version, even EVGA has the hidro version with more core and memory...

17. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7900GRE
    Those are completely different cards than the GTX680. Also just because one GPU will OC like crazy doesnt mean they all will. If you read all of this thread you will see some people with reference cards cant even get an OC the same as your factory overclocked card. :bang::bang::bang:

18. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Like previously stated I doubt a BIOS flash is going to allow you to clock any higher. You may have reached the limit for what you particular card can handle. With that said your punitive overclock is worrisome. On my standard EVGA 680 I can hit +100/+250 with a 132% power target. BTW I am running the 301.32 developer driver.

19. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    Idiot :rolleyes:

Typical nerd rage you see when the other side has better hardware than what someone's got in their system

Nerd fit :scream: :mad2:

Yep you'd know all about that having posted here.. 12 times

20. qiplayer

qiplayer Guest

GPU:
    2x xfx 6870 1gb
    Hi everybody, I know this thread is old.

I got 2 EVGA 680 stock in SLI
    +127 on core
    +333 on memory (cud do more)
    with this I can play crysis2 in 6000x1080.
    I cud do a bit more just for benches.

One card goes to 1250 the first clocks to 1215
    got quite good fps 60-90 at lowest settings dx11 high texture pack.

I have 2 waterblocks but never mounted, don't think all the mod is worth that 20-50 more on clock.

Tell me if i cud get more.
    Those cards are not enough powerful, because adding a third adds problems too.
    I think next time I will go for the gigabyte windforce.

Don't ever think about getting a 690, alone is like 2 670, while 2 gtx690 in SLI give 30% more fps, sometimes 60% more fps, but it will be unplayable due to sttuttering and games randomly slow down. The image slows down even with 100fps.