My little overclock experiment finally over.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Parabola, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    Note to self: Never ever attempt overclocking on generic hardware

So a while back i decided to overclock just for the sake of it, fully knowing that i wouldn't get any worthwhile results.
    What i didn't realize that i would also destabilize my computer :bang:

In the past month i have experienced random BSODs(not the ones that happen due to low Vcores), the VGA output shutting off randomly and the audio stuttering. Apart from that the PSUs been acting strange and the the computer refuses to power down automatically after shut down. :bang:

So finally decided to return to the default settings (200x11=2.2 GHz). Left the Vcore on 1.1V though, the cooler the better.

Now i'm just saving up for a new rig(planning to get a 3570K and an Asus board). Too bad i don't have any source of income myself :3eyes:

Lemme hear your overclocking experiences- especially the bad ones.

2. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    i actually hadn't bad ones but the most annoying was where i got some QPI Bsods aka 124 Bsods with my 1366 Socket rig and it took almost 1 year to get the optimal value.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Always a good idea to have a good PSU when OCing. Had a few issues with my old C2D rig, struggled to get it much past 3.2 GHz (400 FSB). i7-950 was a breeze to OC, especially on my current board, although it did generate a LOT of heat. Current setup is heavenly, 4.5 GHz at max rated voltage :D

4. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    Yup, gonna get a Corsair next time..
    BTW, thats a xeon that you have, isn't it?

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It is indeed. I went a bit mad and bought a stupidly expensive X58 board so I figured there was no point upgrading it. Took a gamble buying this CPU, figured it was basically a 980X, which it is, with support for ECC RAM, even has the unlocked multi and everything. All that for half the price as well. Still as fast as, if not faster than OCed SB and IB quad cores nowadays. The only sensible upgrade path NOW would be 3930K/X79 system but for the money the gains would really be too small to justify it. We still don't fully use PCIe 2.0 to full effect ATM, so I figure the extra bandwidth is wasted.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My previous machine had an Athlon 64 3800+, a kick ass CPU for its time. The problem? I chose a really bad motherboard and I couldn't OC a megahertz :( Then there's the almighty PSU, I've lost a lot of equipment to bad power but I've learned from my mistakes and have this awesome rock solid stable machine since 2009 :D

Lol .. should've calibrated some more :p

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  7. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    I am stuck btwn the 2500K and the 3570K.. Ppl say ivy bridge heats up more but then it also has a higher ipc so it shd outperform similiarly clocked sandys.. Would help in case i can't or decide not to oc..

Hey guys anybody knows the diff btwn z75 and z77 chipsets?

8. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    I should have but was in Action :nerd: after 1 year i finally fixed the problem with the most unusual thing i would expect .... lower the CPU PLL to 1.6 and up the QPI to 1.35685 or something like that, curious is that it was even 50x runs LinX and 48h Prime95 stable, but when i was playing some bandwidth intensive games like WoW or Battlefield3 it sometimes after 6h gone ..... brrrrrr 124 .....

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Get the cheaper one, both are very good CPUs. Ivy would be 15-20% faster I think but it won't matter much as you need a good GPU as well. Ivy's temperature problems show up only after you start fooling around with the voltage, it's no big deal.

10. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    i can vouch that (at least) my 3770k isn't very hot my first one was a pretty early release model tho i guess due to the fact i was getting 95 °C at only 4.2Ghz with even undervolting :3eyes: and yeah i reseated my cooler several times but it never helped. My second on the other hand which i now use are golden or the newer revision, i max out at about 50-55 °C when gaming a CPU intensive game with 4.4Ghz @ 1.17v and Stress Test don't go higher than 75 °C :banana:

But both Processors are pretty good, like lucidus said go for the cheaper one in gaming you will not notice a difference the only thing the processors start to differ more are when doing some rendering, crunching and that stuff, benchmarking too of course.

11. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    If you can hold off until Haswell you might find better deals, as well as people with healthy spending habits ebaying off there still fairly new hardware, lol.

12. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX

Nice rig btw. 1333 still has plenty life in it. You proved that!

How's it push those trifired 7970s?

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Not bad actually, still get decent scaling in 3DMark11 when going from 1 to 2 to 3 cards (8K --> 13K --> 17K roughly). It's not quite as good with the phyiscs as it could be but it runs everything I can throw at it, great for my audio work, probably great for photoshop, although i haven't tried that yet.