Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, after extensive testing, i turned off HPET completely. Best results so far.

It really depends on hardware it seems.

2. Trevec

Trevec Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850@900/1200
    Why don't work this tweak for me? when i use HPET in windows + Bios, my system crash randomly and reboot randomly etcetera. But i have overclock my GPU ( 660ti). I think this tweak don't work with overclock GPU?

I can only use HPET in Bios but not in windows.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This tweaks is highly dependent on your hardware that is why

4. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    I went and activated 64 bit (was 32) in BIOS and turned on in Windows. I find that disk-access and load times seem faster and a general graphical smoothness in 2d and 3d.

However, my 3dm11 scores are the same as before.

5. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I don't notice any difference between HPET enabled and disabled.

6. Bukkake

Bukkake Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 8GB
    from my extensive research i have now come to the conclusion it is 100% based on hardware + software specifically drivers, and maybe even other softwares especially ones that read/write to disk heavily.

and since everyone's computer is different, and everyone has different software and drivers, the results will be different.

as for noticing slight differences in input lag, if someone is a twitch fps gamer for example and they main close quarters and things like that, they would be more likely to notice lag versus someone that likes to play slow paced tactical games or puzzlers.

as for me

i have now had hpet enabled in bios and windows for several months now, and it does 'feel' more smooth. not as jerky especially on start up of applications and things of that nature.

but if i wasnt constantly starting and stopping applications then i would probably switch back to having everything off.

thats just me, i see no need to argue which is better as it depends on what kind of computer a person has, whats in the computer software side, and how the person uses the computer and what the person uses the computer for.

7. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, there is no better option in general, it is better for you or better for me etc. For lag, i noticed huge amount of lag, but i think it's not lag actually, but mind tricking you. I also noticed when HPET is ON (and forced as only option in Windows) that picture quality in games is worse??? That also can be tricking from perception. Another thing i did notice also is "strange" texture transition, for example, in racing games, when you look at road, it's like blur is added, but not classical blur, it looks more like when you overvolt something, so you get slight (don't know English word grr), like it goes one texture on another (i hope you understand what I'm trying to say).

Anyway, i disabled all that, for me, it is better without it.

I did also serviced one PC, one month ago (or so), it was MSI k8 neo, with Athlon x2 5000+ and 8600GT (or 8500GT i forgot), latency on that system was brilliant, 3us most of the time, with slight spikes to 6-9, with max 2Xus. And that system felt great, it douse not support HPET (i think), and even if it douse, it was not relevant since XP was OS. Much much better than this so called good PC's, on my PC for example, latency is anywhere between 9-20, not consistent.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. dmxdex

dmxdex Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470 0C.
    I ran that program but how do you know if it is on or off?

9. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Not sure if this will help anyone but I have noticed that the latest realtek drivers from their website cause a 2+ms ndis.sys and cpu spike consistently every 3-5 secs on both win 7 and 8. If I use the latest from windows update all is well.
    After installing the latest driver from wu my system looks like this with D3 running and firefox surfing on windows 7 which i prefer to 8 for gaming (for now at least)

[​IMG]

10. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    audio or network driver?

11. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Sorry, network driver; Onboard audio is disabled. Also for comparison this is the best i can get with win8

[​IMG]

Edit- forgot to mention that HPET is enabled and set to 64bit in bios but wintimertester is showing about 3.9MHz for both win 7 and 8

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Try older 7.053 driver, but its kinda hard to find.

I had the same issue on my x48 chipset, anything newer caused 600us spikes every 5-7sec.

13. snowx1000

snowx1000 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280
    Some linux kernel devs hate hpet:
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/15/189

Apparently some implementations (ATI/ICH9/ICH10) are worse than others (if running linux you can check with "dmesg | grep HPET").

In my personal experience it makes games seem smoother in windows (no useplatformclock flag). Have not seen any DPC latency changes with it on or off.
    Wintimertester gets to a 1.0 ratio in 50 ticks with it on vs ~200 with it off.
    Using the bcdedit toggle makes me nauseous when staring at the screen (maybe it does something funny with refresh rate timings). Same thing with linux (automatically uses hpet if present).
    I disable it in linux with the boot flag hpet=disable. Get the best of all worlds. Hope this helps people.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you have to enable it in windows

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true (then reboot) enable HPET
    bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock (then reboot) disable HPET

15. [Arnold]

[Arnold] Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2 GB
    Do these commands still work with Windows 8? Or does that OS have some other timer management under the hood anyway?

16. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Those commands also work in Windows 8. Verified by the 14mhz vs 3.9mhz. After a few days trying out HPET, I had to turn it off. It increases microstuttering to very noticeable levels on my system and makes moving the mouse maybe smoother, but slower and sort of laggy.

17. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    ^^ Same here. I guess we PC gamers fiddle to much. No need.

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    disabled from bios disabled from w7...smooth gaming finally :D :banana:

19. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    has anyone tried moving their card from pcie16 to pcie4 slot? i've seen reports saying that fixed latency spikes for them

also installing windows without AHCI apparently fixes it too

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  20. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    ehmmmm 10400 points with turned OFF HPET in 3DM11 with 1 GTX 680 and 10800 with HPET turned ON

4% is not a bad difference guys