Steam Linux goes live, nvidia launches linux driver that double performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by mandex, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/9289/

http://store.steampowered.com/searc...linux#sort_by=&sort_order=ASC&os=linux&page=1

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releas...ve-Performance-Boost-to-Linux-Gaming-8ac.aspx

Finally, we'll get some OS competition for some RAW FPS!

Go sign your application for Linux ppl! This is very good news.

(And one more OS to benchmark, Hilbert!)

Edit2: If this claim is half true is ****ing great:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. volors

volors Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Now that's awesome , Dual boot in progress with RHEL 6 after 5 mins

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    great news for me, i was just planning on buying more windows, but i guess i'll try out the linux on the new mini itx system:banana:

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    so software now is totally free.

Free OS + Free games.

Awesome.

5. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Linux drivers certainly didn't double the performance of my graphics card when I had Ubuntu running on my rig. ;)
    One of my main reasons for dumping Linux in favour of Windows 7 was the dreadful performance, and constant crashes. ;)

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Sorry wrong thread. troll fail.

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Free games? I'm not that sure.

I'm on a Windows bandwagon, however I like this Linux client a lot. More Linux stuff = Windows guys have to try harder.

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Only Ubuntu? What about RHEL or CentOS?

9. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770

The new driver won't magically make all applications of opengl double speed (or it does, it is because the old driver was ****).

It will enhances performance of certain uses/extensions, that for example where used a lot in L4D2. This will improve all aplications of opengl, but not by 100%

There should be for other Linux, but right now they are concentrating in one OS.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I wonder how serious sam 3 performs

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    TF2 for example. Do you pay for it?

And yes, my friend, it means windows will finally get some competition going.
    Hopefully more devs will consider linux support.

12. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    That's great news for PC gaming as a whole. Windows had a monopoly on pc gaming for far too long and a monopoly is never good for either costumers or progress. I also see great chances for OpenGL to come now that DirectX development is basically dead. With the next console generation only supporting DX11 for years to come M$ has all but stopped development. It's a great chance for OpenGL to leave DX and M$ behind.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It has made it easier for gfx cards manufacturers and reviewers not to have linux (or Mac) as major gaming platforms.
    We might see quality for Linux increase but decrease for Windows due to spreading resources too thin.
    Some may see this as a positive :)

I hope AMD dont struggle to keep up, less fragmentation is better.

14. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    AMD will have to keep up as performance is important for sales, and not just when it comes to hardware. Should Linux perform a good deal faster, which I believe is likely, after XP each new windows became slower, the chances are good that many will switch or at least try it out. Linux does not cost anything after all.

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    TF2 is out since Half Life 2, and it have become free to play since a while now.

What he means is the catalogue of Steam will not become free, and dont expect see much games of the mac version compatible today for linux.

Valve will not be able to convert games who are not compatible or port them. so the only problem now is to know if dev will bring compatibility of their games with Linux ( OpenGL ). And OpenGL have not wait Steam for exist.

Its a good news anyway, but i really doubt it will push competition of game developper a lot there ( when they allready struggle to do PC version cause the cost of developpement ).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

16. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Was it Linux that was pissed at Nvidia not too long ago?

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    No doubt Nvidia wouldn't have this driver if it were not for Valve. Never once in history did they give a crap about Linux other than putting out a half baked driver as if tossing out table scraps to dogs.
    I wonder if they will continue this trend regardless whether or not Linux adopts more gamers.
    Best of luck, always liked Linux's potential, but this stuff should've happened 5 yrs ago at least.

Linus was.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  18. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Couple this with the discontent with Windows 8 and you have a pretty good situation for Linux to pick up developers now. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going as I could just as easily see it sputter out with just a handful of users using it in the end.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The discontent for Windows 8 is also because it is uglier than Windows 7. We're meant to progress, not regress. I had a look at Office 2013 today, that too is ugly! They somehow took Office 2010 and gave it the Windows 8 treatment. It now looks so bland companies won't buy it, because it will put their workers to sleep with its drollness!

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Well I love it when Valve reach out to the under dog, it's meant to give you a warm fuzzy feeling and reinforce your opinion that Valve are the guys you would happily give your first child up for in exchange for an opportunity to play their games and use their DD Client. but really what is all this Linux nonsense?

The Windows / Windows Steam Client user base is so massive that it is pointless, it isn't competition for Windows gaming it's a waste of Valves time, saying that it is their time they can waste it as they want. Steam is no longer about distributing and DRMing Valve games, it has grown way beyond that and unless other developers that use Steam support Linux conversions what's the point?

Do Valve think that certain sectors of the PC gaming community are so hardcore against Windows they will run a cut down version of the Linux client? That people who have vast gaming libraries on Windows versions will happily switch between the two? Better yet what happens if you do have a vast library of games already, while Valve may be offering free games will other developers be willing to offer the same? Will Bethesda give me a free Linux copy of Skyrim if I already own a Windows version, I seriously doubt it.

Let's face it you say Valve release a Linux version of Steam with 20 odd games I hear Valve are wasting their time. They could

a). Be making games, I don't really care about HL3 but surely it would be better wasting time on that?
    b). They could, shock horror, spend time working on their current Windows Steam client, which is still horribly slow even more so during high server load times, still has bugs which cause it to lock up and I am willing to bet the router crashing server call thing it does when you first log in is still there. Just as an example Origin, logins in quicker, loads quicker, and despite some user interface issues is generally quicker to navigate.