Vitamin D deficiency??

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by T1tan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 24GB GDDR
    weird stuff.. anyways, I haven't had any bloodwork done in a couple years so I went down to my doctor (who somehow got hot with age, she used to be chubby and weird looking) and in my regular checkup I complained of low energy levels, fatigue and lack of concentration. So I did my bloodwork, and her original hypothesis is that I have low testosterone. Two weeks later, go back for the checkup, we're going through the blood work *btw somehow I gained 6lbs in two weeks wtf!! :p* and turns out I have a VERY HIGH testosterone levels, BUT I have a vitamin D deficiency.

I'm the kind of person that likes to discuss things *I'm not to lazy for research because I have researched it* but I prefer to get 1st hand opinions on this stuff. So my mind clicks like WTF, that low testosterone symptoms are the same as having a vitamin D deficiency? holy hell vitamin D before today for me was just some sh1t I saw on juice boxes and milk.

So the issue is that my body doesnt adsorb vitamin D, I get it, 3 dollars a week solves my problem. I've never been 'diagnosed' with any health issues *thank the planet earth* but anyone here have this as well? The doc said its very common with people that live in very cold climates (like I do..)

What I want to find out is that has anyone here on G3d or maybe you know anyone with this diagnosis? And after you started taking vitamin D, were the changes DRASTIC? or barely noticeable?

I don't mean to down play vitamins but I really didn't know that it could seriously effect your life like this. I mean I drink so much milk, and eat a lot of protein and fiber and STILL have a vitamin D deficiency, kinda phased me a little.

Thanks for the advice in advance

2. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Your physician is old enough to get hot flushes now, Supatitanman?
    Still a bit weird, though? ;)

3. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    @ the OP

unrelated to your post, but- East Amherst? I used to live in Getzville. Cool.

I do take Vitamin D in the winter- I do think it has a little of an effect on me, with just being attentive overall.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You get most of your vitamin D from sunlight ordinarily, very little comes from diet.
    In many countries, sunlight isnt strong enough in the colder parts of the year to give much benefit, best to check where you live to examine the risk.
    If you dont get enough sun shining on bare skin, you can become deficient.
    If you have darker skin, it is even easier to become deficient.

Vit D does many critical things.
    Some of it is converted into a hormone that regulates calcium uptake, so is crucial for keeping your bone density high enough to prevent breakage.
    You can also get early arthritis if deficient.

Too little and you can die early, too much and you can die early.
    Dont miss or delay any appointments to have your levels checked if you are supplementing with a high dose.

Theres a lot to it, check out the wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

I supplement my diet with 25ug per day to be safe.

A pretty concise article with important things to know, last updated in the Summer
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/arthritis/arthritis-and-vitamin-d-whats-the-connection.aspx

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    My dad has low vitamin D, doctor prescribed injections rather than just pills.

I started noticing he was forgetting things a year or so ago, and he was taking way to long to finish a project he was working on. So I thought well he's 70 years old he's probably getting dementia/alzheimers, but after he visited the doctors it turned out to just be a severe Vitamin D deficiency.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's true too much Vitamin D can be bad for you too, but the same applies to many other nutrients you require too. Vitamin D is one of the safer ones not to overdose with, since the point at which it begins to become toxic about the normal supplementation is much higher than other nutrients (selenium and Vitamin A for example).

The best type of Vitamin D to take is Vitamin D3. Ideal supplementation is in the form of 1000 IU (25mg of Cholecalciferol) capsules, and you can take one or two a day.

Vitamin D must be taken with foods that have some fats in them, otherwise it isn't absorbed. Taking it with a banana and fruit juice will mean it won't be absorbed! In terms of dietary supplements there is a lot of bullsh!t out there, and a lot of misinformation even from so-called experts.

Probably one of the biggest cons when it comes to supplementation is B vitamins. Taking large doses of B vitamins doesn't do you any good, and the only thing they are really good for is turning your pee a more yellow colour. What you want to be taking is a good cross-spectrum multi-vitamin, mineral, and micro-nutrient tablet, and you can supplement other tablets with these as required (such as the Vitamin D capsules). A really good extra supplement to take is Magnesium, since low-levels don't actually show in blood work.

A lot of people don't get enough calcium in their diet, ideally you should be getting at least 1200mg (most people fall short). Magnesium should be taken in at least a 1:2 ratio to calcium, meaning 600mg a day. For bone health, Vitamin D is required for these to be beneficial. A lot about diet and nutrition is synergy, some things in the diet help other things, and some things actually inhibit other things. There has been so much misinformation over the years, and 'facts' that are in fact, wrong, that even professionals often have it wrong.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Eat more fatty fish (like salmon). Cod liver oil is great for this, too.

8. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Get as much sunlight as possible. Your body should synthesize all the vitamin D you need.

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Difficult for me during the winter, at least, living north of the polar circle...

10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I concur,

11. volors

volors Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Go to Hawaii ..sit in the sun for a week or so. Best solution ever

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Might as well go Tarzan in a tropical rainforest.

In all seriousness, though, those living in places where there are four seasons, especially winter, are more prone to vitamin D deficiency due to lack of sunlight exposure, like some have stated here.
    Those who often works indoors in offices (like, what, most salarymen?) are even more prone to it, unless the office itself lets enough sunlight in or your cubicle happens to be next to the windows.

Besides, getting some sunlight does convert cholesterol into vitamin D3, so it's best to go outside in the day on weekends instead of just sitting in front of the computer. =b

13. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

researchers are recently finding out how important vitamin D is, for preventing so many diseases -- also having your vit D levels in the optimum range (not just within the normal range) these days, its good you found out about it, spread the word

(I take 12,000 IU vitamin D3 daily)