Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, May 26, 2012.

1. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    My CPU utilization doesn´t seem to be very high, maybe it only uses 2 threads or something like that. I will do some test later to see if the slowdowns are tied to high CPU utilization, I will disable HT in order to get more realistic usage %.

2. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah, I agree- that's some bullsheet right there.

3. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Well, it is not a lie. When game is not optimized to use CPU's as it should, then, even if you get 40% of CPU usage that douse not mean that the game is not CPU limited.

It is completely different problem than you being CPU limited, it is very close to the problem of game using one core on multi-core system, when system is slower per core compared to system game was made for.

It is also not that much a Criterion mistake (if they didn't do it intentionally), it is more hardware manufacturer (brands) "mistake" because on full stable system you wouldn't even see those transitions, and that can only mean that they did the job bad, or actual chipset manufacturers (intel, amd etc.) did the job wrong (less probable).

In reality, with perfectly stable system, you should not see a drastic difference until FPS do not go below 30 FPS, so transition between 60-40 should be non notable, or slightly notable.

Point is, game is system/CPU bound artificially.

4. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    That doesn't change the fact that using second card or using 720p instead of 1440p, pretty much double the frame rate. So like Jason said above, their excuse is bull...

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    But even on 720p or whatever, you will get those dips, only less. So that there is no point of getting support for more cards, only if you really like to play with bunch of slowdowns/stutters in areas where engine limitation comes into play.

6. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    In seriously cpu bound games that would be true, but I haven't encountered lots of disturbing slow downs in this game during my play at 720p or flickered :) crossfire. So it wouldn't hurt to give users an option to SLI or Crossfire. But both nVIDIA and AMD is sleeping about and will continue to do so quite probably based on their reaction.

7. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Then i would consider yourself lucky :). It is seriously CPU bound game, what is disturbing level of slow downs, it is a bit of subjective thing, something that would not be disturbing for me, would be for you, or vice versa.

From where i pull out that, is my own testing, even on lowest settings, i get around 40% CPU usage, and around 50% (or less) GPU usage with only reflections on high. Having on mind that for example last NFS in series on very same system gets around 70% CPU usage (at all times i think) and 99% GPU usage at all times, and it works without a hitch, i would say it is CPU bound game ;).

The point is, programers could get away without notice for this, if majority of systems are stable, but that is not, it's even contrary. But even with CFX/SLI you will have same problem in same places, it will change nothing, until game is patched ofc.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been playing this game for a little while. Reasonably good graphics, OK gameplay but horribly inconsistent framerate with the v306.97 drivers and the v310.33 profile for NFS: Most Wanted (which forces single GPU mode). I get anything between 34 and 60 fps, even with triple buffering enabled, which makes the framerate feel horribly laggy, especially when cornering. Sooooooooooooooooo disappointing really.

Ironically, this makes the game feel as chuggy as the original Most Wanted on the Xbox 360 back in 2005, which I'm sure is not intentional. I really hope they patch this because the game should be running much smoother than this considering there's no proper AA support (nor am I forcing any) and the game world is sparsely populated with traffic. It really should not be any more demanding than Burnout Paradise IMO and that ran flawlessly at 60 fps.

9. thug_angel

thug_angel Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Well the game feels way better/smoother with frame rate locked at 30fps. That is the best way imo to play this game on pc at the current state.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    this was on my must buy list but after reading about the performance issues decided to try the ahem demo. For me i get both gpu's usage at 90% yet the FPS drops to 20FPS in places, anything below 40 in a racer like this makes it unplayable.

Anyways, if they sort the FPS issues ill be the first to pick this up as i love the burnout series and this is more of the same.

11. lebrine

lebrine Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
    It seems turning shadows off completely and setting reflections to low gives a much better frame rate. Doesn't look half as good though and the fps still nose dives in a couple of places.

I'm guessing this is just a really sloppy port on the levels of GTA 4 lol....

I've had moments with the game maxed out where I'm just cruising round the mountain roads, enjoying the view. When my fps nose dives, yet 10 minutes further along the route, I'm into downtown. Lots more stuff going on and a lovely smooth frame rate...

Its a shame, I don't really want to drive around with no shadows or reflections lol.... But trying to race when the fps suddenly decides to go on vacation, it gets very hard to get round corners lol.

12. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

"Most Wanted will sport some exclusive graphical features and that DX11 will be offering 300% better performance than DX9.

Lol, it can't even keep 30fps stable, They are focusing on graphics not gameplay,Every 2 sec you face a crash which is irritating......

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This is a really crappy port IMO. Manuel G's statement that it is CPU limited and that the framerate is affected by it is just a lame excuse for a lack of optimization IMO. This game is essentially Burnout Paradise v1.5 with better graphics running on DX11, which should give better multi-threaded performance at least, and Criterion's older game had no problems maintaining 60 fps even with SSAO on.

There is no reason this new one couldn't either. It's insulting that two GTX 680s can't run a spruced up console port at 1920x1080 at 60 fps but one GTX 680 should be enough anyway. The game world is hardly busy, there are no pedestrians going about their daily lives so god only knows what the CPU cycles are being wasted on? Running an unoptimized console engine perhaps?

14. nethaniah

nethaniah Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX Titan
    Anyone know of a place where they post info regarding development of patches/dlc? Cause just waiting in the dark isn't something i'm interested in, if HP was any indication we definitely won't we playing this game perfectly until the next year.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Capping the framerate to 30 fps certainly helps to make the framerate more consistent and the game feels smoother/less stuttery but the slower update reduces the impression of high speed IMO so it is not an ideal solution. I hope that Criterion address this and/or NVIDIA release updated drivers with a new profile for this game.

It's certainly very pretty at times, particularly at night with wet roads, but it does feel very much like a sequel to Burnout Paradise with licensed cars, especially when you drive through those garages and your car either repairs itself or changes colour, more than an NFS game or sequel to Most Wanted! The checkpoint markers make the race routes a lot less confusing than Paradise though so it is definitely the better game even without motorbikes. Also, the city might lack pedestrians (c'mon, if Midnight Club: L.A. can do it then why not NFS?) but it still manages to feel alive, thanks to visible drivers, and a highly detailed and attractive city to drive around, which distracts from the fact that there are no people outside of cars. Gameplay is solid and fun. I think I'm going to like this... so long as they fix the flucuating framerates above 30 fps.

16. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i'm liking this, wish there was a "Look Behind" button though, messes with my mojo not being able to do that!!

Some of the chases can be pretty epic

17. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Dunno what you are using to control with but on a xbox pad you just press back on the 2nd stick to see behind you and I'm sort of sure you can change the key binding for it.

18. nethaniah

nethaniah Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX Titan
  19. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    just using a Playstation 2 pad..... had to bind the keys, will maybe just add a camera rotate

20. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    low gpu usage most of the time ! guess we'll have to wait for a patch.