Best card under $200?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by gouki2005, Oct 18, 2012.

1. gouki2005

gouki2005 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 TI
    One of my friends wants a video card because he wants to play Battlefield 3 in high setting with a resolution of 1280*1024.

Any sugestion?

2. Lie495s14

Lie495s14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 / Dell.2209wa
    560ti and 660 :D

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    GTX 660 or HD 7850.

What are his other specs, BTW? BF3 multiplayer also needs a pretty good CPU.

5. Lie495s14

Lie495s14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 / Dell.2209wa
    HD7870 are great cards and often can be found at $200. but ppl should try avoid HD7xxx cards for BF3 because of the black screen sound loop problem.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you can find GTX660 fro 200$ go for it!

You can't go wrong with 7850/70 too

7. Willock

Willock Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti@2038MHz
    Never underestimate the used market.
    Going a gen or two older will bag you a cracker of a card for a bargain price. Though having said that, 680's seem to be really low atm on ebay, at least where I am.

Anyway, my method for buying a good card on a budget is to check benchmarks, the Passmark ones are generally a good rule of thumb : http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html , then cross-reference that with prices for cards on Ebay etc. and see exactly how much bang you can get for your buck.
    It seems like a lot of work, but its well worth it when you get your ideal card.

8. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    PassMark is NOT a good way to determine performance. It should blacklisted/censored here and in any other hardware forum. It's bullsh!t.

Use proper real-world benchmarks.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  9. Willock

Willock Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti@2038MHz
    The reason that occurs is because the benchmarks are user submitted. Any person with half a mind will know a 690 is OBVIOUSLY better than a 680, but the nature of user submitted scores rely a lot upon numbers of scores submitted (a bad 690 will affect the group a lot more than a bad 680, because there are less people submitting 690 scores). Passmark is good because it provides a comprehensive list of pretty much every GPU, and a realistic view of how it performs (more or less)
    Remember, a lot of review samples used in other website's benchmarks will be silicon cherrypicked (sadly), or will have small samples numbers, and therefore will be more affected by the silicon lottery.

*EDIT* Sorry if I'm not being clear, I've done an all-nighter and I'm like 80% asleep.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Yeah, you should go to sleep.

Synthetic benchmarks isn't an accurate way to determine real-world performance. Especially if they're as crappy as PassMark (1, 2). 3DMark has some better tests, but they're not accurate either. It's simply not enough to run one or few types of benchmarks. More different tests means more accurate results.

Handpicked GPUs don't even affect performance. Only overclocking potential. And most samples are not handpicked. This can be seen by usually low overclocking results and higher end-user results.

If you want to know how video card actually performs in games, there are plenty of HW websites. It's just that some are more comprehensive than others. TPU, for example, runs 20 benchmarks (18 games and 2 synthetic). This makes their performance charts more accurate than most others.

11. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would avoid 7850, ive seen too many bad threads. Go with 660 mate!

12. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor