Hybrid Physx - Borderlands 2 experiences

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by BaldManBDC, Sep 24, 2012.

1. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Guest

GPU:
    you are not getting large dips to around 25-30 fps in intensive physx action?

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    1st: BL2 has a lot of stuff is calculated via CPU even when PhysX compatible card (read nVidia) is present in system.
    2nd: True 6xx nV cards have intentionally crippled compute power compared to 4xx/5xx series and invested more into rendering performance.

This makes low end GT640 (65W, 384shaders, 128bit, gddr3) weaker in PhysX than GT550Ti(110W, 192shaders, 192bit, gddr5) at roughly same price. But GT640 has only 1/2 of power requirements in comparison.

If I decided to get nV card for PhysX it would not be anything below GTX 560 Ti which is 200W card (40nm). And question is: "Is it worth it?" To have few flying particles and bit of liquid blob at price of 200W card?

From information which are publicly known (1st/2nd point). PhysX is going to be in future more CPU optimized than now as average GTX 6xx card kind of struggles with PhysX tasks. And with that in mind I see no point in buying separate PhysX card.

Next thing is that SDK 3.0 has no more x87 joke instructions and uses ?SSE? *joke* by default. And It automates multi-core threading properly.
    nV probably decided to improve overall opinion on what PhysX should have been and maybe, just maybe they will put it back on right track some time in 2013/2014.

3. GeorgettaCZ

GeorgettaCZ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970OC 3GB
    Yo, wazz up! Not sure what you mean by "dip". Sorry, my bad, my English is not that slangy. Can you please describe it around? By the way, I found out that Hybridiz.exe somehow ruined the nVidia driver and the windows registry so that after the PC turned off and on again, there was an error.43 in HW Manager by the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 and the yellow exclamation mark triangle - saying the hardware stopped working. I tried to remove all nV drivers, files, windows registry keys, everything. I even removed the card from the case, then started the PC up to the full desktop boot (about 10 sec. btw.), then turn it of again, pushed the card back in. Installed the nV 306.97 and PhysX 9.12.0613. Guess what? After the restart the MO****F***ING yellow exclam. mark again! Now, a smart ass guy (me), used Acronis Backup&Recovery 11 and created an Acronis backup image before started experimenting. So I re-imaged the PC (took about 8 minutes to unmelt the 12GB TIB file), installed latest Ati drivers and there I was, at the very beginning of experimenting again. Let you know later...

Hasta la vista

4. GeorgettaCZ

GeorgettaCZ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970OC 3GB
    Well, I think I know now what you meant by dips. I just created a video posted here http://youtu.be/AoIBsGbtp7E. There is fullscreen record of Fluidmark 1.5.0 and all other information about HW/SW setup and overclocks. Though this video does not show it well enough, during some more testing I could see waves of drops, or as you call it, dips of framerates. The highest was still around 60 fps and average around 42 fps but each 20..30 sec. it looked like somebody pulled the handbrake and the fps dropped down to around 23-25 fps for 3-7 sec. And it is not the HDD doing something else then it should. The benchmarks are on the Corsair Force GT SDD. I am going to try the BL2. And NO, I did not buy that game. I downloaded it from some torrent...

Chat ya later!

5. GeorgettaCZ

GeorgettaCZ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970OC 3GB
    F**K ME, ITS HERE AGAIN! :bang: :3eyes: :confused: After an uninstallation and necessary restart, there is error mesage with yellow triangle exclam. mark in HW Manager by my NVIDIA Geforce GTX465 Code 43 Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems:puke: Any advice..? Or is it just me with this mess? :mad: :gape: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  6. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Guest

GPU:
    I cant help with the driver issues, when ever I have had issues like that , I just reformat and reinstall everything.

With regards to the dips, I mean you see drops in FPS from around 60-70 doen to 20-25 for a second or 2 (as you described)

Ive given up on Hybrid Physx for now, my love for farming D3 has come back for a while so Im playing that, might just end up with a new 7 series Nvidia when they come out and go back to BL2 then.

7. CLass

CLass Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX980 Phantom
    I got

absolutely no Problems with this Title, i have GTS450 for PhysX, all newest drivers and Hybridiz.exe, removed all physx.dlls except the one needed and it works great, in non physx situations i get steady 120fps, with physx heavily kickin i get 60fps, i never go under 55fps even in heaviest situations, dont want to troll or something, just want to let interested hybrid users know that it can work perfect, as for me it does. have a nice day

PS. i really maxed out everything, every option possible, + steady 120fps and vsync option

8. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Got it working..

I also got my Hybrid rig working in BL2. Feels only marginally better in performance. I think its because the extra physx effects tax the gpus that have to render the stuff at my 5670x1080 resolution anyhow..

9. Kira

Kira Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 780Ti
    Gtx 285 or 560Ti ?

Hey guys,
    I use right now a 560Ti for PhysX with my 7970, but I think the Ti is to overkill for PhysX only. Would a 285Gtx would do her job (calculate PhysX) as well as the 560Ti without bottleneck the 7970 and without lose FPS ?
    Thanks.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Using borderlands 2 in hybrid physx with the GT430 I got from rmaing a 6600GT to XFX, been different. With the 9800GT it was pausing and stuttering and wasn't smooth. I couldn't even do medium physx def not high with the 9800GT, When I originally tried.

With the GT430 as a physx gpu, its a totally different story, Medium with hybrid physx works great and perfect. While high slows down but it fully playable. The 9800GT has more cuda cores then the GT430, but maybe because the GT430 is on fermi while the 9800GT isn't. Then it could be the latest Nvidia WHQL drivers the 314.07. But it strange.

11. atlr

atlr Guest

GPU:
    7870LE 2GB + GT640