Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Oct 28, 2012.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    my neighborhood is in shambles like i'm sure most are around here i counted 18 trees on houses...not including the ones one blocking major roads in the area.
    No flooding in this part of union county but the power lines are down all over.
    All said i still have power and net so far today.

2. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    ^^ Good news that you arent flooded! im sure you would rather lose power than get flooded!

According to BBC is heading towards Canada?!

3. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Guys I just heard what happened and I'm sorry so much for not getting Assassin's Creed III at the release date :( Just be strong! Hope everything will go back to normal in day or two. Also R.I.P to the people who died in this horrible nature disaster.

4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Thank you Phaze, I needed a good laugh after all this storm drama.

I just moved my family into a bigger house on a heavily wooded lot. I was very worried about all of the huge Oak trees around the house. My yard is a mess but no trees came down and everyone is safe. :)

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I had that problem with Hurricane Irene last year. Had a tree fall through the roof and into the bedroom. After that mess, I had a crap ton of trees removed .. If it was dead, dying or wasn't perfectly straight, it got cut lol. Wont have to worry about another tree coming into my house again.

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    So...can i make a "sandybridge" joke?

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Too soon. :wanker:

8. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    LOL i did that like months agoo.. :banana: :D

Americans, take care, stay safe, may god be with you...

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    One of the best things ever in seaside is busted now.
    [​IMG]

Took a 350lb shark off that pier nightfishing when i was 16

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I didn't even know such cyclones/hurricanes can take place so far north. Good thing there were early warnings and things could be prepared, if something like this happend 100 years ago it would have been much, much worse.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Holy Smoke! That is some heavy damage right there, im sure you all will be ok health wise.

That roller coaster can now be used as a Log flume.:)

12. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    In queens here, 10 minutes drive from JFK and Rockways. They both got hit pretty bad but luckily we didnt lose power/internet/cellphone. We got lucky, everyone I know is without power. Stay safe everyone.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Normally they don't, and likewise for the southern hemisphere. I'll try and explain it as simply as possible :)

The reason why they do is because of the landmasses and the effects of the gulf s trea m current. The effective continuous landmass from the very southern tip of South America up to the Arctic circle effectively separates the transfer of flow between the two ocean bodies. Normally the flow is in an east/west orientation, but the continuous landmasses redirects the flow more in a north/south direction.

I had to add spaces to 's trea m' as this forum actually censors that word, as someone has pointed out in another tread. It just came up with stars until this edit!

Another example of this is Antarctica. For many millions of years now, there is a cold water current that circulates around the entire continent. This keeps Antarctica cold as there is less mixing with water waters from the north. Many millions of years ago South America was connected to Antarctica. Instead of the current circulating around the continent, the current was deflected northwards up the west coast of South America. This allowed the transfer of warmer waters from the north to travel south, which is why Antarctica despite it's now frozen state used to have forests and even dinosaurs. It was still a very cold place during winter, which adds to the doubt as to whether all dinosaurs were really cold blooded... This current circulating around Antarctica is also why Antarctica hasn't shown the same warming trends as the Arctic areas, it is much more isolated from global climate influences (in this sense anyway), whereas the Arctic area due to the positioning of the landmasses allows for a transfer of heat due to the ocean currents. It is warming up because a greater amount of heat is transferred from the tropical areas due to global warming (not trying to trigger the debate here!).

Anyways, in the Atlantic ocean the northward deflection of the warmer ocean waters means hurricanes can persist much longer at higher latitudes than otherwise would be possible. One of the reasons why Hurricane Sandy was so strong is because the waters off the east coast of North America are currently warmer than normal.

The continuous landmass from the Arctic circle south allows for cold airmass to travel much further south than otherwise would be possible (not meeting warmer waters). This allows for a 'unique' situation over parts of America, since you can have a great variation in air masses, which is why there is so many problems with tornadoes, as these occur where the two air masses meet.

If you removed the land bridge between north and south America, the circulation pattern would be different and the whole world's climate would be altered. For example, Europe would be colder and drier, as would the northern parts of North America, however you wouldn't have the hurricane or anywhere near the tornado risk there either.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2012
  14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    If you catch the tide just right you can do both since the log flume went down too.:nerd:

15. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Is that the Cyclone? If so I rode that as a kid, a piece of Coney Island history.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    No. I believe that is a part Seaside Park, or what's left of the pier.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    No power here either. Have to go to car and charge 2 batteries for droid

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hey thanks for this reply, learned from it quite a bit. :nerd:

19. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Dude, great post :) Feel proud that you're Aussie too, well done sir :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Sandy's damage....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]