Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I found some links for BETA X-Fi Windows 8 Drivers here >> http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/6...e-updates-for-windows-87vistaxp/page__st__135

It seems there is a bug with the Creative Console Launcher not remembering settings under windows 8 and in turn no sound after restart..

Super surprised Creative made a new driver.. lol.. wasn't expecting one for at least another year rofl

I hope they fix it soon, I guess I'll just use onboard for the time being.. VIA Vinyl VT1708S is nearly as good as X-Fi anyways so *shrugs*

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Yes that's the one MS pinpoints in Action Center..

As for those settings not sticking, select your desired audio mode, etc and put the PC to sleep, after you resume from sleep it will stick in that mode. Otherwise it reverts to game mode (CMSS-3D) or entertainment with CMSS-3D every time.

3. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Installing now, even though I was 100% happy with Windows 7 :infinity:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    How do I get the sound working on my X-Fi Titanium HD in Windows 8? All the Creative software is installed and runs fine with no errors or crashes. Even the Diagnostics reports no problems, although there's no audio in the speaker test obviously. Very annoying. Someone said that the sound worked for them after installing Windows Media Centre but even though I have the key I can't find out where to actually enter it to download it? Is it the Windows Store?

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Open up Creative Console Launcher and click "Default", that resets all the settings back to default, that does the trick for me.. but after a restart the sound goes away again.

Did that work Darren Hodgson?

What -Tj- mentions seems to be the only way for it to keep it's settings saved.

This problem seems to affect a lot of people, here's hoping Creative pull their thumbs out of their butts and do something about this, Knowing how Creative treats it's customers I doubt anything will be done any time soon.

: <

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Darren

Try to change audio mode, dunno switch from entertainment back to game mode or vise versa. I got this issue one time (no sound) and it went away like so, never had it since.

Also you might want to install Daniel_K pack to get all the latest creative apps (volume panel, console panel, THX,..).
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4140359&postcount=87
    And then install official Creative driver, since Daniel_K's can't be installed unless you disable driver enforcement

And auto mode switcher is buggy, that thing caused bsod once, i never used it since.

About media center i think you just add it by programs & features (turn windows features on/off)

:)

7. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Well, I'm not surprised that it runs really really smooth. It will take me a few days to learn how to do a few advanced things, but I think after that there is no going back for me.

8. msdos622wasfun

msdos622wasfun Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280X
    Just had a new Lenovo laptop shipped to me, and it came with Windows 7. I used that $15 offer to upgrade it to Windows 8.

But, like usual, when I try to install a new version of Windows on top of a previous version, I have problems, and this was no exception. I even uninstalled the things that it said were incompatible.

So, had to resort to a clean install. Runs great on this machine.

My desktop -- pretty good, but with a couple problems. I can't print, which is weird because the release preview didn't have problems with my 6-year-old HP printer. Now it decided to just stop working.

Also, DiRT 3 won't run, and I can't run Nexuiz in DirectX 11 mode. I guess that might have something to do with the problem Cry Engine 3 is having in Windows 8 that I've heard about.

But other than that, gaming has been smooth.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ -Tj- - Thanks.

I managed to download Windows Media Centre although the instructions omitted the fact you had to search for 'add features' from the Store! Still haven't got the audio working but it's too late now so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Everything else is working great. Windows Update installed the v306.97 drivers automatically (from v304.79) and I must admit I panicked a little when I looked at the NVIDIA Control Panel > System Information and saw a mix of v304.79 and v306.97 files plus Guild Wars 2 was running terribly (22 fps). Turned out that I had to restart to complete the install - all the files are now v306.97 and PhysX 0904 is installed as well - and because new drivers were installed SLI was disabled hence the low performance in Guild Wars 2 and Sleeping Dogs. Phew, eh?

I'm starting to like the Start screen now I know my way around it and have found that the All Apps option gives me a kind of expanded, horizontal rather than vertical All Programs list. It's not ideal as everything is listed without any sub-folders so it looks a little messy, not to mention contains an awful lot of items (stuff carried over from my Windows 7 install) but it's better than nothing.

I've been checking out the Windows Store. I downloaded a few free apps and games (Microsoft ones) plus I bough Hydro Thunder Hurricane, confusingly labelled as an Xbox game but it does run on Windows 8. It's actually very good and I discovered that settings for programs in Windows 8 are accessed from the Charm bar to the right of the screen. This allowed me to set the framerate from the default 30 Hz to 60 Hz and the game still runs slick. It could do with some anti-aliasing though.

I'm just doing an Acronis True Image 2013 backup and then I'm off to bed.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Performance is the same on both.

7990 is only slower in W8 because there are no certified drivers for it yet. Why they even used an unreleased 7990 for testing is beyond me...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Pill....consider the site the "review" is posted on.....

13. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    There's an option in Control Panel, I think it's something along the lines of "Add Features To Windows 8" but can't remember for sure, I'm at work right now. I can check when I get home in 4 or 5 hours if you can't find it by then.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Interesting how Metro is the only title to pull ahead on the new OS, but with Win 8 just released im surprised that it does so well even if there is nothing to be gained at the moment, but like i said in another thread, once driver support becomes better and after updates or a service pack or two then i think Win 8 is going to be a sure...Win.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    maybe the noobish question about W8 ,but how exactly will reinstall W8 on someone computer wich has lost its recovery partition(assuming it has one as almost all laptops have one)without having the hotmail/live account at hand?

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I have a problem regarding the metro interface and it occurs randomly on all my machines after a period of time: metro stops responding to anything.

I'm mostly doing things in desktop and when i go to Start and press a tile, nothing happens, just clicking. Even the charm bar doesn't respond anymore and can't shutdown or restart. I can only alt-tab to desktop (if open) or ctrl-alt-del and shutdown.

Highly annoying and made me reinstall W8 several times, no avail. All 5 machines have legal versions (3xretail, 2xupgrade).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  17. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I still cant get my Internet Connection to work. I connect through PPPOE and it work for 10-15 seconds then it stops working. It doesnt disconnect but not even ping works. I have to restart the nic, then the same story.

Tried 2 sets of win 8 drivers (nic) and some win 7 ones. HELP !

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I found it in the end but thanks for offering to help.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have an graphics driver update through Windows Update that repeatedly fails to install but I can't find any information about which version it is. The description is nVidia - Graphics Driver WDDM1.1, Graphics Driver WDDM1.2, Other Hardware - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680 - October 2012, dated 26th October 2012 and the size is 226 GB. Now my graphics were automatically updated from v304.79 WHQL to v306.97 WHQL by Windows Updates so is this that update?

*EDIT*
    I've just noticed that the prompt to install these drivers has now disappeared so I guess those were the v306.97 drivers. Why Microsoft don't list the version, I don't know, because it makes it awkward to know whether it is the latest version or not.

20. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I seem to fixed my "Metro tiles not responding" problem. :bang:
    The culprit was the gpu driver 12.11 Beta4. Uninstalled that one and installed the 12.10 WHQL W8 driver.

Problem seems fixed. Stupid AMD and their crap! :puke2:

EDIT:

Problem just came back, only it took longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.