Computer for 1080p Gaming.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Arcadinho, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Arcadinho

Arcadinho Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 540M 2gb
    Hi, im looking to build a computer for playing on a 27 inch monitor at 1080p.
    My budget is about 770 £ or 1233 USD
    I want to know what components would you choose to build a computer like this ?

I want to play games at ultra high settings and would not use the computer for any other thing, only gaming.

Games I would like to play at ultra:

Guild Wars 2
    Crysis 2 (High res textures)
    Metro 2033

I would only be playing in ONE monitor.

I want to be able to upgrade the system with a Corsair Hc-100 and maybe 2 Noctua 120mm Fans.
    Also, I would like to be able to upgrade to SLI.
    The case I would be choosing is the CM 690 II Advanced.
    I would prefer to have a SSD.

Other features I would like:
    Built in Wi-Fi
    USB 3.0
    SSD

Thanks for any input :D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    The Best would be a Core i7-3770K...With a GTX 680...IMHO...:)

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Pill Monster, Piledriver? Meh. For a gaming PC, you want a quad core with fast performance per core, not eight sluggish cores.

If you're just playing on 1080p and have no intention of upgrading to 1440p in the foreseeable future, SLI compatibility seems like a bit of a waste of cash. I do see you have high image quality requirements though... What is your requirement for framerate? Constant 60 fps?

Do you plan to overclock? This decides whether you get a locked or an unlocked Intel CPU (for gaming, I only recommend Intel), and it also determines what motherboard chipset you need and whether you need aftermarket cooling.

Regarding your plans for a H100, it is not a good investment. A cooler less than half the price will be able to overclock within a few hundred MHz on Ivy Bridge.

Do you need to buy a copy of Windows 7?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

5. Faces Of Death

Faces Of Death Guest

GPU:
    Dual nVidia GTX680 4GB
    just get a 3570K and a GTX670

do not go for an AMD system, blueeergh!

6. Arcadinho

Arcadinho Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 540M 2gb
    Hi, thanks for all the replays.

I do plan on upgrading to 1440p in maybe 1 year, SLI compatibility is a requirement because of that.
    My requirement for framerate is constant 60 fps or more.
    I plan to do some overclocking, mostly to the CPU.
    I was planing building a system with the following components:

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro (Because of the onboard Wi-Fi and SLI Compatibility)
    Intel i5 3570K
    Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 8GB 1600MHZ
    Asus GTX 660 ti
    Corsair 650W TX650
    Kingston HYPERX 120gb SSD

Was thinking in Corsair H100 but if there are cheaper coolers that can do the job then I wouldn't buy the corsair h100.

I do have Windows 7.

7. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    You are right about H100, so just get H80...

I got H80 myself and on my 955BE I dont even reach 40 degrees celsious, and its OC'ed to 4Ghz....

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Eww PD for a gaming PC.

9. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    OK. For 1440p I recommend more than 2GB VRAM... Two GPUs will easily be able to max that out.

CPU 3570K £170
    Mobo P8Z77-V £122 - just as wireless and SLI compatible as the Pro
    RAM Corsair 8GB 1600 £30
    GPU HIS 7950 3GB IceQ £228 (this week only) - great for Crossfire, the custom blower type cooler is actually very good
    SSD Samsung 830 128GB £81 - best SSD as of now, balances cost, reliability and performance
    PSU Antec TP-750 £70 - TX650 doesn't have four PCIe for Crossfire
    Case CM 690 II Adv £70 (few left)

= £771 (bang on lol :))

I think holding off on the SSD for a while would be a good idea. 128GB can fit only a few games, and 256GB drives are better £ per gigabyte, so get a 256GB drive once you can afford it. Also add Thermalright HR-02 Macho later (or put in place of the 128GB ssd now). It's half the price of H100 but performs within a few degrees and is quieter (when compared to H100 stock fans at medium-high).

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't care if you guys don't like PD, that's my suggestion and I'm sticking with it.

11. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Why are you sticking with PD?

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Because at 1920x1080 the difference between CPU's will be minimal, and he can get a better motherboard and a decent performing processor for $60 euro's less than an Intel platform.

The system I put together fits into the OP's budget (minus the extra HDD) and will blow his listed hardware out of the water.....

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  14. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    In GPU limited games, correct. In CPU limited games, especially those that don't support eight threads, the FX will bottleneck.

However, the bigger issue here is how well the FX will handle SLI/Crossfire on a high resolution. SLI/Crossfire compatible motherboard and PSU are kind of useless if your CPU can't handle it, right? Since the difference in performance between Piledriver and Bulldozer is minimal, I can simply look at Bulldozer tests:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/03/amd_fx8150_multigpu_gameplay_performance_review/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're going to be spending $1000+ in total on your monitor and GPU setup, why would you save 50 bucks on the CPU and potentially cripple your gaming performance in certain titles?

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Why are you posting links for an 8150? You may as well post benches for an Athlon XP. Not only that but those tests are for a 580 SLI and everyone knows BD can't push a decent SLI/CF rig.

The difference between the 8150 and 8350 is not minimal, it is substantial.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    as op said:
    I think lehtv is right. No need to go for 8 cores. Half of those cores will just idle getting fat on consuming electricity. Bad efficiency.
    No need to push away Intel, where it best at (core performance).

If op needed pc for multi-tasking / video encoding / server + gaming, I'd totally recommend 8350 myself.

17. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    based on guru3d review the new amd fx eats power like crazy even the way more powerful i7 3930k eats less power than fx8350 thats just shows u how ineffecient amd new cpu. now wonder amd laying off people cuz they not making any money on their cpu deparments cuz it just sucks.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes Vishera's power consumption is high, however I don't think the OP is really concerned with that since he was talking about SLI.

If I had my way the OP wouldn't be going with SLI/CF, even Lehtv recommended against SLI so I have no idea why he's showing SLI benches.

Also the OP said he wanted more than 60fps and a high performance CPU - not the fastest CPU available. Vishera is all of the above and is cheaper than the 3570K.

And now for some benchmarks that are actually relevant....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't see reason going for sli with single monitor. Stable 60FPS is achievable on single highend GPU.

How I see situation with Intel:
    OP gets 3570k, sticks with intels cooler. He probably have 680 or 7950/70 vid card. He happily games, having his CPU consuming minimum. Games effectively use his quad core CPU.

How I see situation with AMD 8 cores:
    OP gets 8350 and probably proper aftermarket CPU cooler, which will cost him same or even higher than 3570k. He happily games, while having his cpu consuming more than Intel does. Some of CPU cores idle doing nothing.

After half year usage, electricity bill will be higher with AMD, which comes to conclusion, that sticking with AMD for a long run is more expensive than having Intel.
    And the longer OP using his PC, the bigger overall price gap will be between AMD and Intel.

When I build pc, I image I use it for at least 2 years. And keeping in mind, how much it will cost me overall.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500