AMD Catalyst 12.11 (9.010.8 November 15) AMD Official BETA 11

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Oct 22, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Progeny

Progeny Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 DC2T @ 1300 MHz
    I have occosional black artificats in borderlands 2 with my new card but not in bf3, is this what you mean?

2. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Yes I do have MSI Afterburner on. And yes it is only in borderlands 2 so far. I have played a 1000 ticket TDM and bunch of games of gun master without problem.

But I have MSAA/FXAA off in both games, so what would supersampling do?

3. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    Me too, the 12.7 betas are easily the best for my rig.

Ive tried other drivers with a clean install of windows that has NEVER had any video drivers installed for testing.
    (I have an Acronis image of a clean install of Win7 64bit which is just Win7 with all windows updates and no video drivers ever installed, just the default Win7 Standard VGA Adapter driver, for ensuring a clean install of new drivers)

12.8 - Firefox crashes all the time (no wonder they're blacklisted by Firefox)
    12.10 - 12.11 - I get windows explorer crashes while playing games. (i assume its while playing because the error is on my desktop when exiting a game)
    I never had either of the drivers above installed long enough see if i had the idle bugs others are reporting.

It seems to me the newer driver updates have really only been beneficial for the 7xxx series.
    Which really wouldn't bother me so much if those drivers didn't cause issues on non-7xxx series cards.

As it stands now, i'm ignoring all new Cats and not wasting my time installing/testing (that's AMDs job!) unless there are MANY people reporting a new driver works well with ALL AMD cards.

4. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    mtdew, thats perfctly fine man. If the release notes do not say anything for 6000 series, and no one reports any increases, why bother? If it aint broke don't fix it.

5. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    I agree, its just you can't help but keep hoping there will be improvements for newer games for all cards.
    I'm currently playing Dishonored and it takes at least 4x SSAA to remove the "pixel crawl/jaggies" on gates, grids etc...etc..and even at 4x there is still some pixel crawl but 8x SSAA is too big of a performance hit for x-fired 6970's.

And I have seen a GTX 470 do a better job at AA in that game as two 6970's with the same performance. (which should NEVER happen)

Now, granted it is an Unreal Engine game which AMD never seems to do as well as Nvidia, but still , it seems the AMD performance isnt up to par in Dishonored.
    And i'd LOVE to get those performance increases BEFORE i finish the game for once. LOL

Ok, i'll shut up now and quit thread crapping by talking OT. :leave:

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And yet it runs a little worse in Bf3, especially by cpu bound areas, lost 3-5fps on avg. by min fps. And im not the only one GF600 users saying the same..

Otherwise they're pretty much the same as old 306.xx drivers no difference in speed increase like these new AMD drivers.

@Rich_Guy

So now your 7970 works again? What you got a bios update or it got fixed in driver? :nerd:

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Yes, because AMD put out the beta driver as a pure rock-solid driver for everyone!

I have no idea about your config or anything, but I have had 0 explorer crashes with any driver (in the 12 series) on my 5570. On my 7850, I've tried 12.8, 12.10, and 12.11, and have had 0 explorer crashes or any major issue at all.

Nexuiz seems to BSOD with 12.11 drivers on my 7850, and there seems to be black artifacting on the desktop when bitmining; those are my only "real" issues so far.

Do also note that all Urneal Engine 3 games (including Dishonored) has PhysX. PhysX cannot be GPU-accelerated on non-Nvidia hardware, therefore falls back to CPU acceleration. CPU accelerated PhysX from what I understand is single-threaded and intentionally coded to be slow...

Edit: Also a quick question. AMD is offering a normal driver, and a .NET 4 driver package. Is there any reason to not use the .NET 4 package? Is the non-.NET 4 package for systems with only .NET 3 installed?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Btw most of those U3E games use software physx so its irrelevant (including Dishonored), only those that specifically say - hardware physx will make a difference, which aren't much and most are rubbish anyway..

Guess its something with U3E ******ing code that cripples AMD gpus..

lol s t r e a m i n g censored? xD

9. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    this 12.11 is very dangerous,

i was trying it again, and i was playing game that are low in requirement (PES 2013),

and suddenly i got massive artifacting and flickering for a few minutes,

and then it suddenly gone,

and when i exit to desktop, my whole screen is distorted beyond recognition,

and not just normal distortion, it was also like distort + flickering.

i wish i had a camera cellphone with me at the time, so that i could take pics of it,

after that i uninstall this and go back to 12.7.

phew, not gonna touch 12.11 again, unless AMD released a more stable version of it.

the weirdest thing is during the distortion + flickering, my pc is still operational.

i'm afraid this driver is gonna kill some gpu, and became known as the AMD gpu killer driver,

even Nvidia beta driver is not this bad, except for that 1 driver, but it was WHQL driver if i'm not wrong.

10. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Sounds like a bad GPU-memory OC, this can happen when memory is pushed to far on sertain GFX-cards..

11. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    only my Core clock is OCed, my Memory clock is left untouched.

Edit : forgot to mention, and that distortion + flickering is only happens on 12.11.

12. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    This set finally got rid of the Windows Explorer crash on launch for me. However, nearly every game I play crashes on game load.

Going back to 12.10 with 12.8 ATIUMD64.DLL.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

Yeah its working fine so far, not had a crash with 100% fan yet, no BIOS update, so must be the drivers :)

I'll just hang onto my 670 for now :p

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  14. Weltschmerz

Weltschmerz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6790
    The .NET 4 driver package includes NET framework 4 in order for CCC to work properly. On systems with .NET 4 already pre-installed, using the regular driver package is just fine.

15. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    Installed on my notebook with HD6630. CCC doesn't work (Catalyst Control Center:Host application stopped working)

16. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Seen it happen on core alone aswell, this issue you describe is not related to 12.11 other then it might allow hardware to work more towards it's max potential, and this might be the reason you see this...
    This driver gives an extra boost in performance of about 100-150mhz coreclock on an HD7970 compared to the previous drivers, so one can afford to drop a few mhz to avoid instability and still come out alot better performance wise..

17. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    how is it not related to 12.11 ?!

it only happens when using 12.11,

and did you not know that 7850 is locked at 1050MHz max for OC ?

and don't compare a 7850 with a 7970, they didn't even use the same architecture, the only similar thing is only both are 7000 series.

and let me repeat this my OC is stable on all previous drivers, except the current 12.11 driver, its also stable on 12.10, but 12.10 sucks.

if you don't know what you are talking about, please STFU, if my OC is not stable, i would have dropped it to stock clock.

and i was posting the issue i got, to inform others about the possible issue they will encounter when using the 12.11, i wasn't trying to get help, i knew it was the driver that caused it, because like i said before "ALL THE PREVIOUS DRIVER BEFORE 12.11, DID NOT CAUSE MY DESKTOP TO FLICKER, ESPECIALLY DISTORT + FLICKERING".

18. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  19. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Smth like that once happend to me on my old Nvidia card. There somehow the drivers been ****ed up. After a clean windows install everything was fine although i did a clean install when i had this issue. Sometimes somewhere something may be left and cause **** like that. Well i wouldn't care to much. I don't think it is something serious.

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It isn't. Afterburner from what I've seen, regardless of hardware (AMD anyway), is locked to 1050MHz for the max core clock.

You will have to lift these limits, either via the unofficial overclocking method (which, on my 7850 PE, causes heavy flickering during clock changes), or using -xcl: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4438708#post4438708

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.