Samsung Galaxy S3 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sdamaged99, May 7, 2012.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Android clears ram as and when it needs it, you don't need to be obsessing over free ram.

Anyway, the GS3 GT9305 is out in the UK now, Quadcore 4G LTE with 2GB ram.

Also GS3 Mini just announced as well.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Note2 comes with 4.1.4 I think. So if it is out , the 4.1.4 would be out.

Gs3 mini. Dual core. 1gb ram. Not bad. It will be the best mini size android phone in the market.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Sorry, I was speaking from my experience in the US, where they are actually practically the same phone internally.

When you bring up the recent apps list, and click one of the apps in the list, you should be taken back to where you were within the app, very quickly. This depends on the app, and the RAM available.

Think about it like this. When you go out of an app (not exit, just leave the app) Android tries to put the app to sleep while you're away, but its typically (at least partially) in RAM so it can come back very quickly.

As you run out of memory, it begin to reclaim memory from previous apps, putting as much as it can away until eventually it just kills the app outright if you haven't used it for long enough/don't have enough memory to keep it hanging around.

On the S3 in the US, it has 2GB of RAM, so these low memory situations happen somewhat more rarely, so I can pretty freely switch between apps very quickly without losing my place.

4. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    After upgrading to Jelly Bean i have annoying issue with home button, when i press it when the phone is locked it flashes locker screen for a half a second and takes me straight to main screen. Power button brings up locker screen as it supposed to.
    Is it "normal" or i borked something ? ;p

edit:
    fixed by reapplying all security and custom locker settings :banana:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The UK has the Jellybean firmware but so far everyone except T-Mobile have released it, which is terrific as my own S3 is from T-Mobile! If Vodaphone, Three and O2 can all get their updates out at the same time then I really don't see why T-Mobile can't. Annoyingly, T-Mobile's customer support apparently, after much nagging from customers, can only say that it'll be out "very soon" (whatever that means).

I checked on SamMobile and it looks like T-Mobile have released Jellybean in Germany so hopefully that means the UK is not too far behind. Kind of wish my own S3 was unlocked really as T-Mobile UK tweak the firmwares to add loads of bloatware and remove the OTA update option from the Advanced settings > About device menu. That means we're forced to use Samsung's awful buggy and rather unstable Kies software.

6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I tried to update my s3 on t Mobil but it says try again later.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is your S3 unlocked, boodikon? I checked with Kies v2.5.0 this morning and it said I already had the latest firmware installed (build date 2012-08-16 which I actually only got a couple of weekends ago).

I hate that the OTA update option is disabled on my phone as it means tediously have to load up Kies on my PC to check if the update is out. Otherwise, if it was enabled then the phone would notify me when there's an update out or, even if it doesn't, then it is easy to go to the Advanced settings > About device > Software update menu (which my phone does not have) to check.

8. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Its not unlocked I just clicked on about device and check for updates.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sounds like you do have an unlocked phone as the About device > Check for updates option isn't available on my T-Mobile UK S3 which I got about a month ago. Locked phones do not have that option (T-Mobile UK modify the stock firmware to include bloatware and remove the OTA update option).

You should be able to update your S3 by using Kies now as someone else on the T-Mobile UK forum said they updated their unlocked phone that way.

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    You can flash your phone to UK unbranded fine yourself anyway. Won't affect the binary count either.

11. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just downloaded kies on my pc and connected my S3 and it updated to android version 4.1.1, thanks for the info :)

12. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    im still waiting:cry:

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Still waiting here... T-Mobile have released Jellybean in Poland, Czech Republich, Croatia, Austria and Germany but still not the UK. Why on earth are we not a higher priority? I bet it is the same firmware that is being released in each country as well which begs the question of why it isn't released simultaneously for all regions.

T-Mobile UK really are useless. All the other providers such as Vodaphone, Three and O2 have informed their customers when Jellybean was due out and have now released it but T-Mobile UK haven't even said anything. And their customer support is awful - they've ignored two of my emails and a message I sent them on their Facebook page. Once my current contract is up I shall be switching to someone else.

14. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Jelly bean released here (Isle of Man) on my wife's S3

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, just checked with Check Fus on my S3 and it is showing that T-Mobile have released Jellybean in the U.K. at long bloody last!!! Unfortunately, I'm at work so I cannot download this until tonight. :(

*EDIT*
    False alarm... seems the update is an old build, 2012-08-16, and not Jellybean after all. I'm betting sdamage99's wife has an unlocked S3.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    How long did the update take and was it destructive? I presume you updated through the (god-awful IMO) Kies software?

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yup here as well (Netherlands) ... definitely a little smoother GUI feel while scrolling. Nice.

Update took merely minutes (WIFI), it's a non destructive flash so all data and apps will remain intact.

Pure smooth :nerd:

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the info, Hilbert. I'll be interested to hear how the battery life is because I've read reports that Jellybean drains the battery noticeably faster, likely due to the changes to CPU usage and the screen update (triple buffered and running at 60 fps).

I know the unlocked firmware has been released here in the UK, it came out last week, but I don't think the locked one has yet but I won't know until I get home in about 35 mins. My S3 is definitely locked because the OTA update option is missing in Settings > About device so I'm forced to use that horrid Kies software to do my updates.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    As expected, the T-Mobile UK Jellybean update for unlocked S3's is still NOT out despite many other European countries already having it, and from T-Mobile as well. Last I read on the T-Mobile forum was that it may not be out while late November/early December as T-Mobile are trying to flog the 4G versions of the S3. If that is true then T-Mobile really do suck if they put new customers ahead of their existing ones.

20. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Didnt take long, just got an update alert on the phone, no kies. Was non destructive upgrade too, took 4 mins

Phone unlocked (from amazon uk)