Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680

So because you cant make small enough distinctions to notice stuff like this others must be the same way?

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Be aware that Pre-Rendered Frames @ 1 causes significant FPS loss in most games. I did some testing with it a while back, here are the results.

[​IMG]

I suggest going down to max 2 for a nice balance.

3. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    lol what are you talking about? I don't have any trouble with graphics lag caused by dpc latency I was only experimenting with the settings after reading this thread. Yes having latencymon running while gaming causes issues for me and yes I prefer my computer with the default setting in Windows. It has been said before turning it on effected some people's mouse cursor movement. Please grow up.

4. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    please go on, i love me some baloney soup

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    It is your mind tricking you, there is a feeling of input lag when HPET is enabled, but that is only because game is actually smoother, so naturally, when seeing more fluid picture, you get a feeling that is slower etc. and that puts you into perception of input lag.

Also, because picture is more smooth, you can see a fictive drop in IQ in games, not so evident at high resolution, but still it is there,a nd that is actually another wrong perception. IQ is the same, but because picture is more clear, you see all things that are "missing".

Hope it helps.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have no input lag, infact what you talking about. I have no problems with HPET on in bios and win7 things feel snappier and mouse is more accurate. and defiantly much lower latency

7. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Wrong quote, my bad, it was intended to snorge. Sorry. I can notise as him also, but from other test, i saw what problem actually is, and yes, much better with HPET enabled, more responsive etc.

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Don't always state things as fact guys. It's simply just YOUR computer and YOUR experience.

My computer definitely has a smoother time of things with HPET enabled in BIOS and default windows setting. Also latency has higher spikes with it on.

9. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    Yeah as I stated earlier in the thread overall enabling HPET in Windows 7 does make things seem a bit smoother, however for me mouse movement just doesn't feel right for gaming. I understand what you are saying about it being a tick of the mind but I tried it for a few days and couldn't get used to it.

10. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    For gaming, believe it or not, i feel mouse movement is extremely precise. For example, Doom 3 OGL game, have disorted picture without v-sync on 60Hz, and that type of non smooth mouse movement, but, with HPET enabled, at high refresh rate (120Hz or above, also on 60Hz native, since game is caped) it is same as it is with v sync, and mouse movement is perfect, and in other FPS games such as Crysis 2 or COD etc. Maybe you have o do polling rate on your mouse, i found best settings around 250. But, as HonoredShadow said, every PC is different.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

11. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    I have a razer mouse and the default polling rate is 500 but I could change it to 125 or 1000.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Good, on my old Logitech default was 128 (?), and on this 3e mouse A4 tech also. Test it around, see if there is a difference. And if mouse causing that, or v-sync if you using it.

13. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    polling rates of 500 and 1000 can cause a lot of cpu load and can cause those DPC spikes

its not recommended to go above 250

14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Do you have a link to prove that? I have my mouse on 1000 for BF3 and 1ms response time. Don't see any difference in CPU usage.

15. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    oh shiit now you want proof - after stating that you "feel" your pc is smoother with hpet enabled? rofl

you are essentially overclocking your usb port, and it takes cpu cycles to process excess information, google it yourself

not all usb ports support it and not everyone will notice extra load, but those with slower systems and laptops it's absolutely noticable

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Not only does it feel smoother but with Latencymon showing me I get less spikes with HPET on as default in BIOS and default setting in windows.

Off topic I know but here goes.

http://www.cybergamer.org/forums/th...ion-Guide:-Acceleration-Fix-and-Polling-Rate/

I read this guide and tried out the program mentioned about checking your mouse rate checker. When I picked 500 it consistently showed 500. When I picked 1000 it very nearly consistently showed 1000. Not much in though.

Will try the mouse on 500 for a bit.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  17. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    But it isn't off in windows. At default Windows 7 (assume 8 also) use HPET in combination with "traditional" timers, for some systems it can cause a problem, for some not. If you can, keep it that way, HPET enabled, in Windows enabled also (auto, no need for any command).

18. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    I think almost all of the Razer gaming mice and probably the Logitech's as well increase the polling rate in the driver settings. They always advertise it as a major benefit.

19. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    1000hz still retains about 90us latency and about 0.5-1% cpu usage. i dont understand where you believe that this massive performance hit comes from. unless your loading the cpu fully you should never notice a impact from 500-1000hz on any modern system.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Update since I switched to a 660gtx ftw sig2

The previously stable Bios 64bit Hpet+Win7 Hpet Became unstable and Spiked like crazy on the nvddmkm.sys 1500us With both 306.97 and 310.33 drivers. With in Minutes of LAtecnymonitor running and my Mp3 started popping.

Turn off Bios Hpet and Win7 Hpet same issue nvddmkm.sys still spiked 1500us with in minutes excpet usbport.sys started spiking 1500us with the nvddmkm.sys Still had Audio popping.

Turned Hpet 64bit back on in bios left Win7 Hpet off and the spikes all went away. So far Latency monitor running 40minutes no spikes no Popping and nvddmkm.sys seem stable around 550us again.

So rthis proves that Hpet setting are completely Dependent on the hardware.

Changing GPU Cpu,MB any peice of HW can and will produce different results.

Im keep an eye on latency for next few days to make sure the spikes and audio popping it gone.