HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. oxident

oxident Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7979 Black Edition
    I'm using exactly this version (fresh install) but screen corruption Plex/XBMC remains. Clocks stay at idle speed and flickering occurs at GPU load peaks.

Don't have any comparison for GTA 4 but when playing with extreme high quality at 1024x768, it's not very "fluid" indeed...

2. korniits

korniits Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Thank You,will do like you said.

3. Pixelhant3r

Pixelhant3r Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB OC
    Things i noticed so far about this issue, spesifically in Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim.

1. The flickering has much higher of a chance to occur when a menu is open. For example the Traits menu has a high percentage of flickering for me, or when viewing the Black Lion Trading Post.

2. I was able to replicate the fast black polygon flickering in catalyst 12.8 in GW2 doing the following. Go to Shaemoor Village, go to the Trading Post guy named Rufus (he is to the left of Kalad, the engineer trainer. Run inside to the fireplace then walk backwards outside. This so far always gives me a black polygon flickering. (important step, have the camera zoomed in)

3. With all catalysts i get some subtle small white flashing polygons in character creation in GW2 when choosing the class. (watch for your character's shoulder pads, the guardian for example)

4. In Skyrim the area with the most white polygon flickering was some area you go in Dawnguard and there's thunders every 10 seconds.

I start to thinking the following. The shadows and lighting are buggy. Bad lighting gives white flickers and bad shadow geometry black polygons.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  4. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    So I've been wandering around other forums looking for people with this same issue (and generally pointing them here).

I found an example today of someone complaining about the same issue that I have with Train Simulator 2013.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=161695&enterthread=y

The interesting thing about this post is that he/she appears to be using a Dell Alienware. So it appears that even OEM builders have the issue.

Not that it's any surprise, it just reaffirms what we've all been saying.

TLDR: Horray, We're not crazy.

5. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    Lets hope 12.11 fixes this issue :p

6. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I hope so, though I don't have much hope.

I am currently working with 2nd level support with AMD, and I just hope they take me seriously instead of "RMA your card".

The fact that they bothered to send me to 2nd tier support instead of just telling me to wait for 12.11 doesn't give me a whole lot of hope that it is fixed yet.

7. zarker

zarker Member

GPU:
    sapphire 7870
    would it help if everybody here raised a ticket? I think I will anyway... But maybe It'll be better to wait for 12.11?

8. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Yah, I raised a ticket about a week ago.
    That's what I was referring to above.
    The more the merrier though. It took about 4 days to get them to escalate it to tier 2.

9. Cens

Cens Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB
    For me the 12.11 beta hasn't stopped the artifact flickering in Skyrim. It's the only game I tried, but I doubt these drivers have solved the problem. Too bad. Guess I'll have to take my 7850 back and switch cards :(

10. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    12.11b3 still has flickers :(

11. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I can confirm that 12.11 has flickers in Train Simulator 2013.

12. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    sad to heear that. I really thought that this driver will change things. Well so the waiting goes on. And keep reporting the issue with 12.11 then AGAIN.

13. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Borderlands 2 still flickers.

Well... I'm convinced we have corrupted cards. I don't know what else to say. Too bad, now it will take long to replace the card and I'm really anxious about the whole process. The store I bought is in another city... For such issues I prefer talking in person. That's why the only thing I bought online was this damn card.

Meanwhile, the same happened with my M/B. P67 B2 -> B3. That went pretty well because Intel/ASUS made the announcement ( recall ).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Hmm, for me one hour with the latest betas (3) and there is no flicker at all in Skyrim. Gonna reinstall Dishonored to check that too.

Edit: Overclocking even 10mhz on the core causes flickering. I see none with no overclocking.

Edit2: I was wrong. The flickering is still there but it doesn't happen often.

15. Pixelhant3r

Pixelhant3r Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB OC
    Tried 12.10 and 12.11 beta 3. in Skyrim.

The flickering got x50 times worse, now i can see chunks of white polygons all over the screen all the time in outdoor areas to the point of being totally unplayable =/

16. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    I believe it's a bug in Powerplay states/timings, ie. the logic that switches between 300/150, 501/1250 and 800/1250 (or whatever max clocks you set).

I've run a test, the OCCT GPU-test which constantly renders a complex object in a big window. I had GPU-Z sensor readings next to it. As long as the GPU-render window was active, no flickers.. but when I clicked outside, it started flickering like crazy and GPU-Z showed rapid fluctuations between two or three different powerplay states which meant that GPU and RAM frequencies constantly changed. If RAM is constantly switching from 150 to some other value, that would be one reason for flickering/missing textures etc.

17. Cens

Cens Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB
    When I get home from work I´ll try disabling powerplay and ulps. I´m not too confident that it will work, but I haven´t tried it yet, so who knows? :)

Will post the results ofcourse.

Edit:
    Disabling ulps and powerplay doesn't work :( It might work if you have a flickering desktop/browser but in game I see no difference.

18. zarker

zarker Member

GPU:
    sapphire 7870
    +1
    I even think I'm getting worse performance generally with 12.11 :(
    If I heard of anybody solving this problem with an RMA, I'd switch mine too.

edit: Yep - it actually IS worse for TS2013. i was getting 15fps at WCML glasgow in the HANDOVER scenario with 12.8, now it's just 10 with 12.11 :bang:

edit: Installed 12.10 and now getting 17-18 fps at Glasgow. Not sure if it's the drivers or the CAP (which I haven't installed this time).

19. Cysticfinger

Cysticfinger Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor ATI HD7850 PCS
    What about those black screens? Maybe the new driver fixed it.Anyone tried it?

20. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Guys, I just sent the card back. I cleaned the drivers very well, installed my old GTX460 with 306.97 and already feel "safe". I thought I'd be feeling **** 'cause of the slower card, but... :S Nvidia user for 15 years and I never encountered so many minor or serious bugs; but anyway.

I'll be patient. I'll keep you informed in case you're interested; about the problem and what they found.

If I hear "your card has no problems", I tell you, I'll fly to Athens directly! We'll have an epic battle and I'll become headline in the Greek newspapers ! haha! :p

EDIT: Borderlands 2 - not a single flashing currently, and also I think shadows are smoother... I mean, AMD might have an other minor problem on Borderlands 2. Do you think the shadows might have problem too? Like glitchy shadows on this game? Something seems steadier in the game, solid. Might be my imagination, but nothing is flashing anymore.

Also, would be great if AMD implement adaptive vsync... it works great.