EU Could Cripple future graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    New information about a new energy law that will apply within the EU has surfaced on the web. The new law requires that both discrete and integrated graphics cards live up to certain energy standards.

EU Could Cripple future graphics cards

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    It was only a matter of time before this was coming. I mean, it may not be so bad if you think about it. Maybe this will force developers to use the current generations features instead of ignore them all of the time.

And by that I mean DX11 and Tessellation. C'mon Devs out there, you know what I'm talking about here. Let DX9 go, keep it an option to enable or disable DX11 more often.

Use and have fun with what you can access through DX11. We sorta need to put hardware on halt imo anyway, and let software catch up.

Microsoft can keep releasing DX 12, DX 13...DX 14 or whatever all they want. Developers still wont use those until more users catch up to more current DX11 hardware.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Those bloody Polar bears!
    *Most of what you hear /see in mainstream media is bs, Polar bears can swim many many miles, the powers that be want a carbon tax from us, their web is widening that's for sure, but whatever.

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sure but that'll be because we'll be sitting on current gen. performance for a long time just to suit the EU's standards. Considering this generation is pretty good when it comes to power/performance and still doesn't meet the requirements, we won't see decent performance cards each gen.

They need to put more thought into their restrictions, the way they're doing it will ruin progress and the companies.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They obviously have no idea about GPU's, and just doing what they think is necessary. Obviously you can't expect the card tiers to remain the same over future years, it would mean you'd halt progress.

A more logical approach would be to have a minimum GFlops/Watt requirement, and review this say, every 2 years as technology improves.

6. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    WTH has memory speed to do with it? How about putting limits on the wattage require to say, run the memory, fully utilized GPU etc? That way, more efficient technologies ("green") will be used rather than keeping technology behind i.e. develop new gDDR with lower voltages etc.

Efficiency = performance/watt

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    If pushing in the direction of lower power consumption is a good thing, they have absolutely no idea on what is a gpu's and this type of technology.

8. While this surely will hurt amd and nvidia in terms of their discrete graphics, im sure this will help amd and intel (mainly amd) out in terms of their APU's with how strong thier intergrated gpus are going.

I think this is what EU is hoping for, the single chip systems intergrating as much as possible into the one chip, minimising power output.

also, minimising performance :( coz we all know a decent discrete card wipes out any onboard gpu.

Sucks for us highend gamers and enthusiasts because of the reasons already mentioned above.

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Limiting memory bandwidth makes no sense at all.
    These guys have not enough real-life problems and way too much time to come up with such bs!

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    as i work with EC law all the time i can tell you that it is not the most stupid one they are doing... :banana: some are worse (yes it is possible lol)

99% of EC seem to be done by moron and citizen have no word to said about it... maybe it is the reason why we are more and more nationalist in EC (not even talking about EC tax that kill any innovative thing...)...

Bad or not future will tell us as alway.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    nope AMD is as NVidia :( (yeah intel's discrete suck anyway)

12. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    I think it only sound so bad. it only make much more room for tweaking Gpu.
    AMD and nvidia will make GPU which will be on paper perform the way EU want.
    But we home use have much more to OC. I think it will by more funn.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Oh so now it's "could cripple".

Original article @[Nordic Hardware Exclusive] stated EU cripples future graphics cards

Of course this PRELIMINARY REPORT that NordicHardware's full-retard scribble points to, still has nothing to do with imposing 320GB/s Bandwidth upper limit.

Let me repeat that: NH IS FULL OF $#&*, THERE ARE NO MENTIONS OF UPPER BW LIMIT IN THE REPORT WHATSOEVER

14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Why would putting restrictions on one part of the computer be good or fun? Who needs tweaking if you could buy a better card to start with? Or buy a better card and tweak the **** out of it?

The only way I can see the sense in this statement is releasing a crippled card with some kind of "unlock" feature.

15. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    If this is true, it's one of the most dumbest ways to do it.

Really? Limiting memory bandwith by law? Why would you do that?

I can imagine putting limits on energy usage, but this would mean that if the limit is reached, that a more energy efficient GPU of the next generation would be banned and an energy hungry one of this generation is ok.

....Incompetence, the bane of our civilisation.

16. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Umm... The report is very in deph and it looks like the people who did it knows about hardware (plus I don't see any mention of bandwidth limit), power consumption, efficiency and so on.

Its fine by me. Hopefully the rest of the world will catch up. That way companies will not get away with releasing clearly bad products (ie, FX5900, Pentium 4s or even Bulldozer), and energy will not be wasted for the sake of selling something.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This is BLASPHEMY!!!!

God will unleash his wrath over the idiots who are even considering this!

It´s amazing how the EU is going down the drain and people waste time on this kind of things...

18. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    too much free time behind the desk in the office can lead to most ridiculous thoughts.

ex. banana shape regulations

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Am i missing something, its only for discrete and Integrated isn't it, so won't affect us.

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    In other words, drop high-end cards from EU market and make people buy those from le States or so ?