Samsung Galaxy S3 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sdamaged99, May 7, 2012.

1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    if its a one off then i wouldnt worry.

Btw Galaxy III mini has been confirmed with 4 inch screen! Sammy is having presentation tomorrow!

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Can be my next phone :)

Edit: lol comment.

The s3 mini will be aimed at iphone users as they don't have the ability to hold anything bigger than 4" in their hands

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    General bugs happen on any phone, on any electronic device period.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ IPlayNaked - You're absolutely right but I always though the earphone detection was a hardware thing as you wouldn't normally plug earphones and then have the audio only go through the speaker! That's why I was a little shocked when it happened. It may be an issue with Poweramp though as it has various headset settings including options to pause when the earphones are removed, etc.

Speaking of Poweramp, I've experienced MP3s getting 'stuck' for a second or two when using that software so I've had to adjust the audio buffer/priority of the software to compensate. It's a shame really as this MP3 software is by the far the best I've used (including RealPlayer and Winamp) as it has a superb equalizer. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, my phone 'pulses' to the music, which is really cool, but how do I turn that off?

I've just ordered these earphones for my S3: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002TWDHXY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I am right in assuming that these will work with the S3, including allowing me to pause, fast forward, etc. songs as well as answer calls via the built in mic? The earphones that come with the phone are very good but I've always preferred the in-ear canal type earphones that Sony do as they're so comfortable and don't fall out of my ears plus their positioning makes the audio sound both louder and clearer. If these are not fully compatible with the S3 then I'd appreciate someone letting me know. Thanks.

By the way, on the Samsung earphones which is the right earphone and which is the left? Is the right earphone the one with the remote on or is that the left? Usually earphones have an L and an R to indicate which is which but these don't, surprisingly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm pretty sure iphone headphones/remotes are wired differently and need modding to work with other devices.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just been reading through some of the Amazon reviews and one person says that these earphones do work with Android phones in that you can skip backwards and forwards, pause and use the mic with Poweramp as long as you enable the remote setting. The volume control doesn't work though but I think I can live with that. Also, the review is from six months ago so it may that Poweramp and/or the phone has been updated to support these better.

Sony are the only ones that do these kind of in-ear angled earphones so I'm very limited in my choices really. I use some similar Sony earphones with my S3 currently (these cost £40 though) and they're superb but lack the remote and mic.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  8. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Most of those headphones with in-line remote only the one button will work (middle one) for android devices (esp. the ones "designed for iPhone/iPad). The other two buttons for volume typically don't.

Just FYI...

9. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    Any idea when skype app is going to be certified for S III? Currently it crashes a lot and hardly ever works.

I am on Telus (Canada). Does anyone know when JB update will be available for my carrier/region?

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    HTC One X or Sony Xperia S can match with S3 guys?

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The HTC One X is one of the phones I was considering before I decided on the S3. The thing that put me off was that it didn't support microSD cards but I understand that a slightly revamped model is coming out (already out?) that has 64 GB of internal storage and some other tweaks so that would have been fine. Still love my S3 though but like anything if you wait there's always something better just around the corner.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hmm thanx for the info..

but...but..i did something terrible. :..(

Bought an iphone 5 white..omfg..i missed this size and usage..:nerd:

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The HTC One X is also a great phone, my brother in law has one and I got a chance to mess about with it for a bit at the weekend.
    The screen is arguably better than the one on the S3, it looks sharper and seems brighter outside without the need to turn the brightness up to retina killing levels, while colours also look more natural.
    The S3 does has more “impressive” colours though, and perfect blacks.

The phone itself felt a little slower and more slugglish than the S3, whether that is a hardware issue or a software thing related to Sense I’m not sure.
    Saying that, I do prefer HTC Sense over Samsung Touchwiz, though as bland as it is in comparison, I still prefer “stock” Android CM10 over either of those two.

As for S3 JellyBean, still nothing showing last night on Vodafone, either OTA via the phone, or Kies.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Redemption80 - I think it may be two months before we get Jellybean for the S3 here in the U.K. It was only the weekend before last that I got a firmware update for ICS v4.0.4 that was dated 16th August 2012 for example!!!

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Note 2 is out there?

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's Sense. Internally, they're really the same phone, the S3 just has some extra RAM.

2GB might help, but not really. The Nexus flies along just fine with only 1GB, it just doesn't have sense running on top. In my experience, the 2GB gets you better multitasking. I can open almost all my apps, and when I go to other ones, the previous ones aren't killed for memory; just suspended.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Darren Hodgson, it’s not my S3 it’s the GF’s, but it’s still my toy 
    Even a free game like Agent Dash looks and runs so much better on it compared to my original Galaxy S, and things like project butter in JB made my old phone much smoother so should make the S3 even better.

IPlayNaked, I had a feeling it was Sense, as while the hardware isn’t identical inside it is similar enough that I didn’t think it should make a difference.
    The difference wouldn’t have been the 2GB for me as it’s only 1GB here in the UK

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I admit that I'm confused about the whole multi-tasking thing on the S3.

I know that if I hold down the Home button that the Task Manager pops up with a list of all the applications that I've used. I can then select one of them and it opens up instantly. Question: does that list consist of applications you've used (some of which might be closed) or does is it a list of everything that is still running in the background?

The reason I ask is because I always used to think pressing the Back softkey exited the application I was using (some browsers actually confirm this by asking me to press Back again) but then I noticed these supposedly 'closed' apps listed in the Task Manager list and wondered if, in fact, they were still running.

I always assumed that having lots of apps running in the background would drain the battery quicker. My S3 has 778 MB of RAM but 680 MB seems to always be used even when I've just turned it on.

19. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea think its out with Three Uk :)

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just read a review of the Note II and it looks like another great phone from Samsung but whereas the S3 is just the right size for me, this new one looks too big and is less of a phone and more of a tablet IMO.

I love the fact that it has a stylus (S Pen) though that fits into the phone like a Nintendo handheld. I currently use the official Samsung S3 stylus (looks exactly like a Parker pen and is the same colour as the phone) with my own S3 but its size means that it isn't quite as portable as the one in the Note II.