Why do we have the News on T.V (Please stay calm and think about it)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by (.)(.), Oct 9, 2012.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Right so im watching the news on tv, not much of tv watcher as there's always crap on but the flat mate had it on while i was sitting at the table eating.

Now...Why, why are you showing me this crap. Are you asking me as a citizen to do something about it or are you just trying to scare me or perhaps trying to make me feel like i should be thankful that something awful isn't happening to me as in a Ha ha take that innocent victim kind of way.

Your thoughts.

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    People generally watch the news as they'd like to know what's happening in the world. Stock, currency, rates, etc...

As for myself I RARELY watch the news since it's more or less the same **** everyday.

All you hear is people killed, someone kidnapped, Rape, Syria, Afghanistan, Palestinians killed, Iran angry threatening everyone, Korea threatening to use nuclear force, etc...

So it's the same $hit you hear everyday so one gets sick of repetitive news.

Personally I'm not interested in news...

From time to time I just go through the highlights & that's it...

By the way, most of the news is 8ull$hit and you are told what they want you to think/believe...

They try to brainwash people...

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    ^Most emphasis on that.

Not to mention how the news airs at the "prime times", right before you go too work, right when you get home from work, and right before you go too bed.

Hypocrisy and bullsh!t at it's best.

I don't even watch the weather anymore. If on the day I have something planned out and the weather don't suit it; I change my planes.

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I stopped watching the News when I got internet (56K woo!) at home about ten years ago. Now they show internet news on TV. It's useless now, because now you can keep up with the news you want. Possibly even live a more postive life away from all the negativity from the media.
    Back before the internet, I read magazines for news that I was interested in.

I don't even know when it's goin to rain until it starts. But that's the fun part.

5. Andrés

Andrés Guest

That would be like asking why journalism exists.

Well, if they aired them while people is at work or sleeping, no one would watch them...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Because why not ? Good to keep people informed about that important things, takes 30min, not a huge loss to anyone.

And if there wasnt news programs on TV how would they fill up that gap ? I mean, the amount of BS coming from TV is insane and they would have to fill that those parts with some crappy series. Lets make more reality crap or talent/idols other stuff or just some crappy series which no one likes. Too many channels these days, less channels, less crap.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I just find it strange, and for people who say its interesting (about the negetive new that is , rape murder etc etc) are imo sick minded. Civilians getting killed in war torn parts of the world..why are the New/media telling people this? it makes no sense to me. What do you expect to get from informing people of this.

Stock exchange, tech new, weather (maybe), house prices ups and downs are really the only news that has any benefit to the majority of the world that is fortunate not to be included amongst the wars in 3rd world countries.

Sure if there's some crim on the run and they want to get his face out there then put a segment up on the News instead of and again I dont know why, only showing these mug shots on programs like COPS and City Beat when most people are in bed or watching some form of comedy on another channel. I mean the amount of times the new has reported on a murder or what have you and not shown a picture of the person that is def the perp yet the perps mugshot was in the paper that same day.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    A school gets blown up in iraq, they put it on the news. Why, what do you want me to do about it, feel sad then oh The Community is on.

With quality programing.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Just seems pointless to pass negativity around on to people who cant do anything about it or who it does not directly effect. Im not saying i dont care or have no sympathy for lives lost but if your going to tell people then give them something to go on or dont bother broadcasting it.

Sure its easy to say that ita all just a way to get people thinking in circles and the negative brain waves of humans is the power that feeds some creature that is supposedly controlling the human race but thats a bit to much too swallow.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Because some of us do like to be informed and are in possession of a sufficient level of good judgment to discern between the BS, propaganda, sensationalism, and the actual stuff that matters or is interesting.

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    And that's a bad thing? :p

Yeah like: Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore, Survivor, Big Brother. It's a big list.

Nothing, unless you count "ratings".

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What good is information if you do nothing with it, weight on the mind just to give you something to think about?

Just a note im referring to all the violent crap thrown on, but at they same time i guess I'm a hypocrite as i don't seem to care when i see it in a movie or games as then its just processed as ''entertainment''.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  13. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Live car chases are the best thing on the news.

14. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I know this will sound vague, but if you really want to know where all the bull**** begins (especially with the news) and where it ends, just follow the paper trail.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    NZ only got 2 helicopters and those are for search and rescue. So no live chases for us, for better or worse.

16. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    In all honesty, I'd rather watch news that the mainstream media leaves out and where people have real discussions. That's why I watch "The Vinny Eastwood Show".

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I get your paper trail comment. But lots of people are capable of that yet nothings ever done. You hear people saying... and I think i've posted this before, 'Govt needs to this, Govt needs to that' etc etc then voting time comes and they vote on promises that always get broken.

I'll admit that i have kind of taken a slight pleasure in watching my parents generation (well mainly family and those of which i work with) falling for the same crap decade after decade, sitting around bitching about what needs to change then the next day its back to the work weekend bitch and moan and so on an so on. Strange feeling to see happening right in front of you like a rat in a maze with the exit clearly marked but the promise of cheese if they stay being too much to resist, and that leaving means the unknown. Strange how some people can be so fearful of the unknown yet take comfort in repetition.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

News is partly an entertainment show, but mostly it's about informing us of the world around us. News consists of a wide range of topics that may either be good, 'neutral' or bad, and the balance of these depends on the focus of the news event. You have three basic tiers of journalism; local/state, national, and international.

News does have a lot of negative topics on it, but they can only show those news articles because the bad things are happening in the first place. It helps remind people how dangerous the world actually is (for local and national topics of discussion), and how lucky they may be in terms of international news. It's also so you aren't 'living under a rock' blissfully unaware of the world around you. For those lucky enough to live in countries with free press, be thankful for your rights to be informed.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^ thats what the news should be,but it ends up highlighting the owners stance on everything from politics to race and religion.
    If they would just report the news and shut up with the opinions it would be a better press.
    I am to the point that i think freedom of the press is abused and should be a constitution change....way before gun rights.

How about the news report of the ladys who jumped over the mickd's counter,and got her ass beat?
    Reporters airing that clip were like omg stop stop he is crasy. lol
    dont jump over the frecking counter at mickyd's and start swinging or you might get a guy that was not taking your bs...right?
    That helped the guy spend 30 days in jail then just out of the blue get off later in front of the judge.
    Headline was "crasy guy at mcd's beats customer" but should have been closer to "crasy woman jumps counter at mcyd's and get subduded by worker"

news press is bs now

20. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    the internet is newer tech that many people still don't have. tv is easier to operate and requires little to no thought. still free over the air broadcasting. many, many reasons.