NVIDIA GeForce 306.23 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MfA, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Okay I wasn't being offensive about it, I was just stating that I knew about the issue as well, and it seems AMD fixed it through drivers a few releases back.

2. Buggy

Buggy New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GFX 560Ti SOC
    problems with 560ti SOC in BF3 here. GPU utilization hoovering between 60-95% for that reason also large FPS drops. Uninstalled, driver sweeper and old 285 drivers fixed all thing.

after that GPU utilizaton back to 99%

Backup sistem: same problem on my old Gtx 460 and DIRT3...gpu utilizaton 70 % with 306.23 ?!

3. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I play BF3 everyday and I have no fog issues or smoke slow downs. FPS is above 100 all the time with the occasional drop to the 90s.

4. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    XCom and Dishonored next week.

I wonder if these drivers are fine for it or if we're going to get something new soon.

5. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    That was probably true when the article was written, but FYI the option also affects OpenGL now.

In OpenGL triple buffering has always been performed by the NVIDIA OpenGL driver, which explains why the setting in the control panel would only apply to OpenGL.

Triple buffering in "DX" (Direct3D) games can be accomplished (at the application level) by setting the back buffer count to 2 during swap chain creation, and this is actually the same method used by 3rd party apps like D3DOverrider. All of these concepts regarding D3D buffering and swap chains are fairly well documented over at Microsoft.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  6. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    sry double post

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Any ideas why I can't overclock the Core on my 680M? When applying in AfterBurner it works just fine but in an actual game it still says 719 (default).
    OCing Memory works though.

Just looking for a nice and stable OC, nothing excessive.

8. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
  9. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Well I tried this 1 for a while, still buggy to me. DVD rips real pixely, and wierd reboot on own after shutdown & overall quality not as good, there gettin there but still need work, the 304.79 is much, much better overall quality and no bugs for my machine. Everything operates as it should, so for now stickin with 304

10. Improv

Improv Guest

GPU:
    Patriot 8gb DDR3 ram
    Any word on the upcoming I assume beta drivers?

11. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

That explanation of triple buffering is absolutely 150% wrong. Triple buffering just gives an extra back buffer to insulate you from brief frametime variance when you have vsync on. Instead of dropping below 60fps momentarily and getting a frame at 30fps due to vsync, you stay at 60fps because you have an extra frame in the queue ready to show. So triple buffer literally gives extra cushioning before your framerate drops severely. There is no alternating of back buffers or allowing the gpu to run independently.

Triple buffering without vsync is pointless as it will only introduce input latency without the benefits of that extra queued frame.

Also the triple buffering option in the nvidia control panel only affects OpenGL if you say otherwise you are seeing a placebo effect.the code simply doesn't exist for DX.

Think of triple buffering as a queue of post rendered frames.

12. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

No, it's a brand new issue that came via the expansions that just came out. Still happens on AMD today. I promise.

13. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

This. Rewt has proven time and time again he knows what he's talking about, take my word for it.

14. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Not quite. Triple buffering gives you what is essentially a post-rendered frame queue. You start by filling up two back buffers before the render thread is blocked instead of one back buffer. Then this way you have more cushion should you miss a vblank cycle and you won't get a stutter from being at 59 fps or 47fps for a frame or two.

But yes both prerendered frames and triple buffering with vsync will add to your input latency... Just in different ways.

15. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Hi

Have a question with regard to HDMI audio. I run dual monitor one to main display and one to LCD tv thru an av processor. If I turn on the prepro after the computer the card recognizes the tv and display is no problem however the sound properties indicate Nvidia hdmi high definition audio is not plugged in. The only way I have been able to fix this is a reboot (log off no go). Is their another way to get audio to be recognized or is a reboot the only way?

Does anyone know the sound chip? Is it realtek?

Regards

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Not much lag as 3 frames to render ahead, or if you set 1 frame to render ahead + triple buffer its still 1 frame to render ahead lag.

And that no benefit part, didn't you read?

Imo its not useless., I saw smoother picture with in-game TB enabled and vsync off, that's all that matters to me. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  17. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Triple buffering is independant of the prerender queue. If you normally have 3 prerender frames queued, then with triple buffering enabled you have a post render frame queued too.

It will simply add input latency.

What you quoted now is again wrong. The program must wait until the finished rendering is swapped with triple buffering too. The only difference is that it can fill 2 back buffers before stalling instead of 1 back buffer. I don't know where you're getting this quoted information but its wrong.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    From the one who originally posted it.

Latency, i didnt notice anything in BF3, but I noticed it made stabler picture and its not the only game.

And where do you get your info from? I didnt see you backing up your facts, just something you wrote here.

19. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    Hi guys , one question with the new great game "dishonored" and 306.23
    anyone know the right value for sli compatibilty bits ?
    (some kind of stutter with 0x03402005 with 306.23 whql)

20. Blaire

Blaire Guest

GPU:
    Geforce TITAN 4-Way...
    Can you tell me your Ingame- and Driver-Settings?