Help me understand Android

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by WindtalkerCS, Sep 17, 2012.

1. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    So I've been using iPhone's for about 4 years now and I decided that I wanted to give Android another go since the Galaxy Nexus is so cheap in the Play Store. I picked it up about 2 weeks ago and I'm struggling to understand how I'm better off using Android.

So far what I like
    1. the notification system, really nothing on the iPhone (stock) compares and I really like the LED, been hoping for that on an iPhone for years.
    2. I have liked Jelly Bean so far, it is decently optimized. I like the size of the screen in comparison to the iPhone.
    Now what I'm struggling with.
    1. There is a bug with the Messaging app that drops area codes when you select contacts. I checked and it was reported to Google in July, seriously how can a bug like this exist? (This is only one example but the one that is most constantly annoying.)
    2. No pinch zoom in email? Is this a joke? I thought it was 2012.
    3. The apps are nowhere near the quality of iOS counterparts. There are some excellent exceptions however. Spotify is brilliant on Android, NZB 360 is great as well.

Maybe I'm looking for something that just instead there but I was hoping for a better experience than iOS. So far, for all the openness the only thing that I've found is bugs. Am I just expecting too much?

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Pinch to zoom in e-mail works on my droid so maybe its a bug with your phone.

There's a lot of differences so it will take time to get used to. Personally I dropped my Android phone for a Windows phone and I don't think I'll ever go back. Yes the app selection sucks but how often am I using them? The only apps I use on a regular basis are Flixster, iheart radio, Netflix, and Office.

Once you get used to navigating the OS you'll like it a lot more than iOS.

3. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    It's definitely not a bug, a quick google shows that it's something people have been asking for for like 4 years now.

I can't wait for the Lumia 920 to come out so I can play with that, I think I'd be much happier with that.

I use apps constantly, I mean why else have a smartphone? I have between a dozen to a dozen and a half that I use throughout the day everyday and I'm struggling to find ones that match up. Twitter seems to have a big gap, there is absolutely nothing that compares to Tweetbot on iOS.

4. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Give it more time,play around with it. get used to it. I hated iOS on my ipod at first until i got used to it.

Never heard or had a bus with messaging. If i add contact it adds number with area code..is that what you mean?

Well the most downloaded apps are just as good. But have to agree there are few that make me wanna scream :) But i havent had any problems with more popular ones.

Try some of the different lauchers ( Nova, Apex, Go Launcher) It will let you set UI the way you want it. Ive been on Android over 2 years now and still discover new things.

There are few really cool twitter apps, seen on mates droid, dont use them as i dont get twitter :)

Also yea i want to try Nokia myself :)

5. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    This kind of explains it http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1770523

I don't think I need time with it, I don't mean to be misunderstood I really like Android, but it just seems very beta and I don't see how I could use it as my daily driver with these kind of issues. I have tried some different launchers but I don't really care all that much how I get to what I'm trying to get to lol.

6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What firmware have you got?

Does the job for me. but then again by the sound of it you are app freak :p I have my basic ones, FB, dropbox, tunein radio, livescore, whatsapp, instagram, F1 etc + about 15 games..give me more than enough and they all run good. I am running ICS.

I want to try WP next. iOS seems really boring to be after Android, so hopefully WP8 will be interesting.

7. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Just tried, can pinchzoom on the Mail app but not the Gmail app

Never seen the area code bug either, all good here (I can't get off 2.3 though :( ) have you tried any 3rd party sms apps? I never use the stock one, used ChompSMS for a year and now using GO SMS

The only app that crashes on me semi-often is Viber and that's probably because I use it non stop all day. I can't imagine a non faulty JB Nexus being less smooth and buggier than my bloated Vodafone gingerbread dinosaur.

I'm not a die hard Android fanboy as much as I used to be, probably getting a W8 Nokia next, but I genuinely have very few issues with Android, occasionally I have to watch the loading ring go around a few more times than I'd like but I can live with that. I have a widget to clear out my memory so if it's ever sluggish I just hit that and it's buttery again.

Give it a bit more time and search out alternative apps if one isn't to your pleasing, I'd kill for your handset and Jelly Bean :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  8. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea i use GO SMS too but then again whatsapp is being used more than texting now. Also you can get a good task manager. But i wouldnt say i have any performance issues, runs nice n smooth. Apart from the fact that i messed up battery register, but thats my own fault!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Indeed I rarely text these days, feels old fashioned :D even with unlimited texts I prefer data messaging

10. Schwarz621

Schwarz621 Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    That's just background, in order to help understand Android. Now on to more practical matters:

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    From a quick google the problem isn't really android, it's the fact people have contacts with brackets in the number.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Can you give an example? Not entirely sure what you mean by this bug..

Ya Gmail can't, it sucks, but personally not an issue.

Really? Except the poorly ported iOS apps, the selections have been great. So I guess it really depends on what you do...

deltatux

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Word of advice don't use android or ios get yourself a windows phone :)

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Most companies still regard Android as a second-rate OS (even if it has higher share than iOS. For this reason, they put in only a token effort at making it decent.

If you're having problems with a particular app you enjoyed in iOS, then e-mail the creator and tell them their Android counterpart isn't up to snuff, and that you're not happy about that.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've never encountered that area code bug but yeah gmail won't allow zooming which is very strange.

As someone mentioned earlier, try some of the different launchers, I personally use Nova Launcher Prime for now. To me Android is all about freedom, being able to do whatever I want on it, essentially making it a weak pocket computer. I've customized absolutely everything about it at this point down to the smallest details such as the shadows at the top and bottom (removed them). I personally can't tolerate iOS due to how restrictive it is, but I can't comment on Windows Phones as I've never used one for more than a few minutes.

As for the app store, the only problem with it I've encountered is the one we all expected, some apps are not compatible simply because there are so many Android devices. I've had no problem finding a quality app for everything I would want to get done on a phone.

As I said earlier; to me Android is all about freedom, I recommend trying out CyanogenMod 10. I'll make a list of recommended apps if you like, when I return.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

16. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I have a nexus & I don't understand this area code bug you are referring to.
    As stated above, Pinch/Zoom works in Email app, not Gmail. Just add your gmail account to the Email app.
    I have used both iOS & Android, & I can't find any major faults with apps on either. Just a matter of preference, imho.
    Having used a Nexus & an ip4, I will never go back to an apple device. So much more advancement in Android & JellyBean that makes iOS laughable to me.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    After using Android over two years and briefly managed to test Lumia 800, I agree.

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    It's not a bug, it's just people being weird and putting brackets in numbers.

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Putting brackets works here....

deltatux

20. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I think the stock Android messaging app is very... well boring and lacking. Plenty of free alternatives out there or if you're willing to be adventurous, you can try flashing other apps that have been ported/customised from other phones.