Microsoft co-founder calls Windows 8 puzzling and confusing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    just like everyone got used to active desktop

3. StriderNZ

StriderNZ Guest

GPU:
    Adata/XPG/6GB
    I have to say that I am really disappointed with the negative press 3D Guru has been giving Windows 8. This article is the perfect example how to twist a story to suit your point of view... I notice that you never posted the part of the article where Paul Allen said "In summary, I'm excited about Windows 8 and am confident that existing Windows users will feel the same after they have had a chance to use it."

I myself have been using Windows 8 RTM on my gaming rig and laptop since it became available in August and haven't looked back.. Is it perfect "no," is it the first step to something new and inovative which will change the way Windows users interact with their PC's, tablets, laptops? "I believe it is."

Spreading hate and misinformation is not helping anyone, you should stick to topics that you actually know about.

4. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I've tried to like Windows 8, i've tested each beta release and the RTM and i just hate it. They haven't really added anything worthwhile that Windows 7 can't already do. The only machine its actually worth putting it on is either a touchscreen tablet or a windows phone.

As well as being unnecessarily long-winded it also looks cheap and fugly.

5. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    I think that Win8 is going to be skipped big time and Win9 will be the "next step" for a lot of people if it will give enough new features to attract the Win7 users.
    It is that Win 7 is very robust and well designed,at least for me.
    I think that you cant make a "jack of all trades(windows)" so to speak as the Win8 does look.

7. StriderNZ

StriderNZ Guest

GPU:
    Adata/XPG/6GB
    I definitely agree that there is little need to upgrade from Windows 7 due to the fact that Windows 7 does what most people require from an operating system.

I used Windows 8 on an Acer Iconia tablet first and so came to understand the concept of the touch elements. It really is amazing how quickly you get used to utilising another mode of input. If Windows 8 is going to drive the next wave of hardware innovation then it can't come soon enough in my opinion.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This sensationalist style of reporting (where they take advantage of the fact many people are too lazy to read the article, and just read the headline) is everywhere these days, I would rather it wasn’t here as well, but people have bills to pay.

Speaking of laziness, I’ve still been too lazy to spend anytime with W8, but glad to hear someone else say that it’s normal to be confused at first but eventually you will love it, which does seem to be the case with most people.

9. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I'll probably skip Windows 8 this time, or at least until they "fix" the absence of a proper start menu. Metro interface is NOT for me, as it's not for many users.

If there's no way back, after MS drops win7 support (2020), I'll move to another OS.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    No need to 'upgrade' from Win7...

MS really need to learn how to do the most basic of jobs right, they really do.

I don't ever remember emailing them with a request for Windows 8, yet they want me to buy it - did anyone else on these forums email MS with a request for Windows 8?

I want names...

11. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    Puzzling & confusing is indeed not an understatement.

Here are some of my experiences:

- Installation of Metro-app that gave me a UAC popup on the desktop (which i had to open manually to see it)
    - Opening an image/video while in desktop, then close it, to find myself in Metro start again instead of where i was...
    - open Metro apps don't show in Desktop taskbar
    - open traditional apps dont show in Metro taskbar
    - Office 2013 metro apps open in Desktop ???
    - cant popup hidden desktop taskbar with windows-key (if i forgot the index of 1 of my pinned programs)

For me there are still too many flaws to the logic of Win8. Desktop/Metro doesn't live well enough together.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I have found, as have others, that unless EnableLUA is disabled, you can't make changes to other drives created in Windows 7. Of course, setting it to disabled disables you from being able to run Metro Apps. Even with EnableLUA enabled, Metro Apps still seem to update though, and I see them potentially using a lot of download which would be bad on bandwidth limited services. Also, Windows Apps seem to take a lot of disk space for what they are.

Those saying don't complain about it, how come they removed Aero? especially now that Windows 8 finally brings in a fully accelerated desktop? There's lots of negative aspects about it. Of course, we can modify it almost back to how we like it, but that defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  13. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    This sums it up quite well.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, most people will be stuck using the Metro interface and be put off. By defeating the purpose, I mean the intent of making it 'simpler', whereas in fact Microsoft made it much more difficult. The interface was NOT to make things better for the desktop/laptop environment, it was just to make a uniform system across desktops/laptops/pads/phones. That, and to make money in the app store.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sorry still dont care, win8 OS imo is for touch screens meaning Cell's and Tablets. Not a computer. Far as I concerned Win8 is the next ME/Vista tried them all and hated them all I never have or would put those on my own personal computers.

Still waiting for the day I wake up and see APPLE is suing Microsoft for the OS looking and feeling like there phone OS, considering they sue for anything and everything this remotely similar to there stuff.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes and no. The only thing that's a bit awkward is upper right corner, imo it would be better if it was on the left side and left side opened apps on the right.

btw, most stuff can be accessed with few keyboard shortcuts

windows key - metro start menu
    windows key +I - activates (right corner) system settings and power off menu
    Windows key +X - same if you right-click on metro start icon (lower left corner),
    [​IMG]

in metro start menu (or apps) you move with mouse wheel - looks smooth, or press mouse key to grab the screen left-right.

If you know these tricks it can be fast and metro doesnt drag down daily productivity., actually you have bigger view of your favorite apps, instead of having multiple desktop icons.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont like there whole lets make feel like cell/tablet interfact plain and simple, so your preaching to the quire

18. JoseyWales

JoseyWales Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 2GIG
    The whole thing with Win8 is about a unified architecture across all platforms. It was never about the desktop but rather joining all platforms under one roof so to speak.. Thus the $15 upgrade for Windows 7 users that purchase a new Win7 computer right now.

Win8 is all about touch and tablets as well as the ability to carry your ID with you across multiple devises from tablets to cell phones and the rest.. It was not designed as a replacement of Win7 but if you want the cross platform stuff it is something that will be nice to have if you have a Windows touch or one of the new phones coming out for it. It really shines in that area.

As for them ditching the start menu, I think that was a mistake and it bothered me for awhile until I got used to not using it. Now, even in Win7, I really don't use the start menu anymore. Once you get used to it, it really is not big deal. And I really like having it all tied to my windows ID. Your theme going with you from device to device.. The cloud options and so forth.. Oh, and we will be theming the heck out of it over at CreativX..

For those interested, Rafael Rivera Has released a beta for his UxStyle patch for Windows 8. You can get it here. It is something I have used with Widows 7 to use custom themes since it's beta days. You can also check out all of the custom Win7 themes created by the CreativX team here if you like. There are some awesome desktop themes there as well as all the info you need to mod the hell out of your desktop.

There is also Classicshell and Start8 for those who would like t get the start menu back in windows 8..

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Imo this should not be called windows 8 "new windows" sound better, One should not have to 3rd party it to get function that was a staple of windows since 95. Alienating your consumer base usual never end well for companies

20. General Stalin

General Stalin Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    I agree completely.

I also think it's far too early for MS to be rolling out a new OS. How long as Win7 been on the consumer market? 2009? Just seems like a waste of R&D dollars to invest in a new platform where Win7 is still so recent and current. There are still tons of people stick on Vista or still in the process of moving away from XP. Should have spent a few more years on it and made something really worth while.