Just got my 7850, had some concerns...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Espionage724, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I was able to hook my 7850 up and got AMD's Beta 12.9 drivers installed, but I had some concerns so far:

- I noticed temps on load, using MSI Afterburner + OSD in both BF3 and GTA IV, would go as high as 103C. Is this normal?
    - My computer shutdown randomly on GTA IV after a while, but didn't with BF3
    - memtestCL I think reported 20k errors, although I may of misread this. Should I be concerned?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I would e-mail or call the manufacturer's tech support department about it. Sounds like you got a bad card.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    RMA or of you're brave, apply some new thermal paste, might just be an overheating issue

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Maybe :/ I just sent a ticket in to HIS support. Here's my memtestCL report also:

[​IMG]

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    "Apparently" memtestcl has a bug that causes errors in cards with GCN architecture.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, this may explain the errors on memtestCL then.

As for GTA IV, I have no idea what was up with that. I was just playing Black Ops for almost an hour without any issue (I think I saw the occasional shadow glitch, but not sure), and I was playing Saints Row 3 for about 10 minutes without issue too. Not sure why GTA IV would just shutdown though...

Edit: Started the RMA process with Newegg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

So I reapplied thermal paste a few times, and at some point I eventually had Black Ops running around 75C max (65C average), but in my attempt to make it even better, I actually made it worse :/ (back to spiking up to 100C+ quickly)

It definitely seems like the GPU and Heatsink aren't getting contact that well, but I seem to be pretty bad at putting on thermal paste...

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Put a tiny BB sized dot in the centre of the GPU then screw on the heatsink.

Don't spread the paste around or anything, just put a dot in the middle and leave it....

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

So I think I found the issue. The way I had my SATA cables plugged in my motherboard (I was using the bottom set of ports), it would push up on my GPU heatsink a tiny bit (I overlooked this thinking it wouldn't do anything).

I was running Kombuster, and temps hit 100C as usual, but then I pressed on the other side of the GPU (plastic) and temps dropped around 60C real quick.

I reinstalled Windows a little bit ago and also swapped which SATA ports I used, so I'll verify if the cooling issue is fixed or not.