Windows 8 pre-launch adoption rate not looking good

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 3, 2012.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I kinda like it., at first I was against it, but now when I tried it for few weeks its very refreshing.

Metro look is not that bad and you can switch between metro start menu & desktop in a second just by pressing windows key.

Metro apps look sleek (travel, maps), Metro configuration interface is nice once you get use to it. Actually its so good, it made me feel kinda bad when i went back to windows7. Same feeling when i went from Windows 7 to windowsXP, windowsXP felt so dated and generic xD

The only thing I dont like is new search option, Windows7 start menu search found everything (indexing off)., but this search finds some random stuff and rarely finds what im looking for. :pc1:

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The search is definitely a low point, and will likely undergo some changes.

The bonus is that metro apps can be searched from the same window.

My complaint, is that they made metro full screen to leverage the real-estate a fullscreen environment gives you...and then split search results into three categories. Doesn't really make sense.

But I agree on the rest. Most people who have the overarching I WONT EVER USE THIS TRASH complaints...haven't used it.

To those who have, there are problems, but on the whole the interface is quite nice.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    +1

I'll be sticking with 7 for now.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    These giant companies never listen. It will not end well for MS and they will sugar coat the disaster every step of the way and declare it a relative success no matter how hard it crashes and burns.

As I said I wouldn't use W8 even if they paid me to.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well they already have "Blue" or what it was named and some other OS on top of that in development (Or how it was.) slated for release in Spring 2013 or some such, I don't remember the details that well.

Then again maybe that's just SP2 for Windows 7 or the Server version of Windows 8 - I don't dislike W8 that much from what little I tested of it but I don't really need anything from it either other than maybe DX11.1 support but we'll probably not see that in use for a while. :D

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Yeh you guys have a point, I guess I'll be waiting it out with 7 with you guys, see what happens

7. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    ...but windows 8 boot 50% faster than windows 7...that's already a reason to move for me...windows 8 are faster in anything and nowadays we need speed

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Good for you. My Windows takes about 14 seconds to boot. I'll wait an extra 7 seconds to avoid Metro thanks!

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I think they got those numbers because people just like w7 and w8 was not coming from vista.so less users might be running away from the os as much as they did for vista

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    agree.. i dont give a fucck for using metro UI but why the hell they removed aero? normally i dont get mad when they add things, but when they remove things that i actually like, it is really annonying

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because aero doesn't fit in with their new "modern" design scheme. Not to mention that aero took up tons of UI space, it's removal is honestly probably the only thing I like about 8.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I had no intentions of switching anyways. So this news doesn't bother me one bit.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had tried the release preview and I hated it. To me it was an unintentional advertisement for getting a MacBook Air as my next work laptop :p Just because it is new doesn't automatically mean it is good. 8 is great for Gates' vision of the tablet; the ****ty transformer with a stylus which never took off. I hope a few heads will roll at MS and they get a few decent designers!

14. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    I agree with you on that.. Still rocking with Vista Home Premium sp2 and its eye-candy. Win8 desktop view looks bloody ugly as if they wanted us to use Metro sh*t more.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    looks like i'll be on vista 64 awhile longer :)

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, Vista was fine. Drivers were what held it back in 2006.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Windows 8 is designed with the cloud in mind,beings as the cloud is in its infancy i wont bother,even of windows 8 was good i still wouldnt have bothered as 7 does everything that i require.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    And the fact it's a resource hog too. Other than that it was a "pretty" OS.

19. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    7 will be staying on my disk for a few more years yet i think

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

I more surprised apple hasnt sued Microsoft for make there os look like there phone os. I mean Apple sued people for less.

Either way i dont care I dont like Win 8 hate it interface even more. Like others have said I have pc not freak touchscreen cell phone/tablet

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012