Windows 8 pre-launch adoption rate not looking good

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Net Applications compared the pre-launch adoption rate of Windows 8 with Windows 7 and found that it's five times lower. The low adoption rate reflects the overall sentiment about Windows 8, as many ...

Windows 8 pre-launch adoption rate not looking good

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Urgh, after reading that, it has completely put me off buying Windows 8 and I was never very interested in it in the first place. I'll stick with Windows 7 for as long as I possibly can. Windows 8 doesn't offer me anything more beyond what I can do already on my PC anyway, which is used solely for gaming and browsing, and that Metro interface annoys the hell out of me. It looks bland and ugly and clunky to use in my opinion. I have a desktop not a touchscreen tablet or smartphone.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, for desktop the Metro UI is crap. Also, Metro UI apps aren't that good either, and seem to take up a lot of disk space. People will have to be careful on portable devices with Metro apps, so they don't go over download quotas, which is very possible on 3G/4G networks. It is bland too, taking aero out of the final Windows 8 was just arrogant - trying to make the desktop view look crap so you use Metro instead.

4. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I can't help feeling that Windows 8 is mainly an app store with an OS attached to it, and that I will never support.

Other than that it might even be acceptable on a desktop meanwhile, since there are enough 3rd party solutions out there by now that block Metro out. Some even boot right past it to the desktop, so you never have to see it at all.

For tablets Windows RT could be a good choice....if you didn't have to use the desktop for quite a few things. And the desktop is just not very touch friendly.

Summary ? Incomplete separation of Metro and Desktop as alternative options: fail. Appstore: fail. ALL shortcuts of an installed program cluttering the Metro screen without being able to remove the unneeded ones: fail.

I think, no, I *hope* Windows 8 goes down in history as Vista 2.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Unfortunately i had to revert to windows 7 because of d3doverrider and inject plugins didnt work half of the time for me.

i dont find metro clunky at all tbh, being html5 programming gives potential over the traditional start menu imo. (live updating etc) wish the stacking would be more configurable though (which shape etc) .

6. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Ha-ha!

Though I really like Microsoft, I must say all this Windows 8 idea is total crap.

And I can't even imagine why in today's world of mad "Apple's walled garden of delights", numerous petitions forcing big companies to change "endings" and their products, why Microsoft sticked with this crappy interface (for desktop-mouse-keyboard PCs) and even removed opportunity to easily change that?!? Why didn't they listen?

I always said I am skipping Windows 8, now I am relieved many others will do the same.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Thats a user fail

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Heads are gonna roll

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And people hate on Apple for deciding for the consumer :p Can't wait to see how things turn out for MS even though I have no intention to get 8.

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Or Millenium 2:)

I'd guess Win8 doing badly is the only chance we have of Microsoft not continuing the Metro approach in the successors

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    You'd think MS would have learned that by now.

Again, this seems fitting:
    [​IMG]
    And:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  12. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I knew it from the beginning. That's what happens when a company DOESN'T listen to their customers.

Windows 9 will come after shortly, with a great START MENU back, and THAT will be an OS to look at. Metro is pure crap for desktop users, and EVERYBODY knows it.

13. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Linux has no games.

14. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Err, yes it does. A very limited selection though. :grin:

And the meme ain't referring to games anyway.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    This shouldn't come as a surprise really considering all the negative feedback...

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1 agree with you my friend.

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This. I couldn't have put it better myself...

18. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    No surprises there then.

When we speak, they should listen.

If they don't the shareholders will pay the price.

19. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    If my entire catalogue of games on Steam would work on Linux, I'd really be considering that option

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    If games and software would work solidly on linux all the time I think ALOT of people would be considering that option :p