Fan Negativity Was Too Much for Bioware Owners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2012.

1. BigMack70

BigMack70 Guest

GPU:
    2x HD 7970 in CFX
    ME3's ending was the biggest load of crap I've ever seen in gaming. It has nothing to do with it being "sad" - that's fine. However, deus ex machina endings that are completely nonsensical are a BIG problem. If it were one game, it might be excusable as a good game with a bad ending. However, they showed with ME1 and ME2 that they knew perfectly well how to end a game in a way that made sense. ME3 botched it completely - someone with too much power smoked too much weed one night and came up with that crap. I hope whoever that was is gone too.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They made great games, sold their company, made some more money and now cashed out to recharge their batteries and enjoy the fruits of their labour. End of story, why is this such a big deal?

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Likely only .0001% of the worlds population even knows this news exist. So a big deal it is far from being.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    :bang::bang::stewpid:

5. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Wow, all this bitching about how bad the ending was and everyone is forgetting (due to public request) they remade the ending.

A spoiled ungrateful bunch... The lot of ya!

6. RighteousRami

RighteousRami Guest

GPU:
    2 MSI 980 SLI
    lol this makes me laugh "EA lifers". i'd leave too if i worked for EA...Most of their games are just a rehash of last years. Sims is such a joke, release more than 6 expansions for it but only let people use 6 and unable to uninstall their other ones to add new ones instead.

EA NHL 98, 99 ,2000 all used the same **** only names were different, the same glitches were also found in the games ie- glitching puck through the side of the net....

I hate EA so bad, if i see a new game and it is made by EA i will naturally cringe and not want the game. I will giv them credit for the mass effect and the SSX games though as they are decent. But really, 2 lines of games out of all your titles...what a shame.

Soulless company. They dont give a **** we already had steam.

oh and SWTOR was a boring mmo, played it for a couple of months and was very underwhelmed at the variety of things to do. Ran out and got bored. The system itself wasnt too bad but content was hugely lacking.

7. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    EA is like the Emperor... destroying everything that is good with it's evil "powers" (hyper-capitalism, investor-controlled management, a CEO that runs EA like a high-end car dealership etc.)... They devour developers, turn then into drones and this is what happens every single time. Can you imagine how "fun" it must be to develop games under EA's whip instead of having control over your own company? Not to mention the Bioware culture among the employees slowly (or rather fast) changing and turning into EA-drones, afraid of complaining to keep their jobs.

[​IMG]

EA single handedly shifted the industry in this direction nearly a decade ago, forcing other publishers to follow suit and buy some developers before EA had assimilated them all and set them to work on the same bull**** they release today.

And my rant has nothing to do with the failure of SWTOR or Mass Effect 3 (although every iteration of ME was more EA-derpified than the previous one).

The main thing SWTOR lacked was content. They spent all that time developing rich character/class stories where every damn NPC had a voice actor. But that's basically as far as they got, finish the single player part, no doubt pressed by the EA management after sinking so much money into the project.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I find it amusing that people think that companies like Bioware were profitable before EA's purchase. Same thing with Westwood, the company was ready to close and EA took it over.

EA is barely profitable.

Seems like AAA gaming is a dead end industry for most companies. Games simply cost too much to develop and not enough people buy them. Especially PC games, mainly due to the more expensive investment needed to play.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    WW might of been ready to close before ea bought them, But ATLEST WESTWOOD acutal made C&C that where good EA just completely destroyed the Franchise in the EYE of most if not all the fan of the franchise, And continued to destroy it even more just to milk it.

Sorta how Square Enix is milking Finalfantasy series now, and hoping fans buy it, Depsite the fact the last truelly good FF games was X

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    FFX was good? lool

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    As opposed to 12 an 14 yes, unless you one of those people that liked there game to play them selves and you just watch them and 14 took the whole party system and runined it with the whole you can only control one person.

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    FFX was the last one I played (others being ff4, ff6, and ff7) and it was horrible.

13. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Make a good game and I will play it.

Simple, really.

14. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Yup, they did. They also did it with ME3, right up to the point where they let everyone down with the ending, which they had specifically promised would not be anything like what they actually produced. They deserve the criticism.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ME3 is a good game but the ending is painful.

16. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    But they remade the ending! what more could you ask for.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  17. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I think its safe to say the vast majority disliked the ending of ME3.
    No other game in the entire history of gaming has ever had a backlash of this magnitude.

Ultimately the expectations were high, the game was hyped, and great promises were made that were never kept.
    The end result was inevitable.

And yes you could point at the large sales numbers and claim otherwise.
    But the reality there is that nobody... NOBODY wanted to believe that BioWare, the masters of Story Driven RPG's could possibly fail so spectacularly.
    Most people, including me, didn't think the ending could possibly be as bad as others claimed without seeing it with our own eyes.
    So its only natural that it sold well.

In addition, they did NOT remake the endings, they only "expanded on them".
    They are still what they were, you still have to choose between red, green and blue explosions, and none of your decisions from past games has any impact on the final outcome despite BioWare's claims that it would.

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    You know what is even more frustrating ?

Seeing a company who used (with Black Isles Studio) to make the best offline pc rpg games ever, a company who redifined the pc rpg games market, sells ifself to EA and start making great console rpg games that are nothing special in the grand scheme of things.

I liked Mass Effect. I kind of liked TOR even if i cancelled my sub after one month. Dragon Age was really good.

But none of these came close to the greatness of Baldur's Gate and Black Isles Studio's Planescape: Torment. Dragon Age was close tough.

I wont start to talk about DA 2 or ME 3. I have too much to say ... and it's not positive at all.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Bioware didn't sell out to EA. They sold themselves to Elevation, who then sold them to EA. And they sold themselves to Elevation because they were having trouble getting the capital needed to fund AAA development. So yeah, despite making the best games, their return was incapable of self funding their own studio.

So either AAA titles are too expensive to develop, AAA titles don't sell well enough to justify the initial investment (now approaching the ~$100M range average). Or these companies are all hiring bad financial people who can't do basic cash flow projections.

I think it's a combination of the first two. EA is proof of that. They are barely capable of profit despite having multiple ultra successful franchises, extremely tight deadlines, and other sketchy practices.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    rofl

The vitriol most people spew in regards to that game is not simple criticism. It's outright hate and disdain.