Will Next Gen Consoles be more powerful then PC on launch

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Aug 7, 2012.

1. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The next xbox wont be using the hardware you mentioned above.
    Xbox 360 uses a modified ati x19xx gpu.

From the footage I've seen, Star Wars 1313 should have no problem running on current gen hardware. It looks good.. and that's it.
    They've said that they were using 3 GTX680's to run the game. Which doesn't tell us much, since you can use GTX680 to run Counter Strike, if you want. Doesn't mean it actually requires such hardware.

2. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    More powerful in terms of raw processing? No, not even close.
    Better graphics in the first 12-18 months? Yes.

Consoles are a closed ecosystem in which a developer will design his game tailored to a specific hardware spec, taking advantage of that system's resources more efficiently than that of a general purpose PC.

However since consoles moved to the "HD" era, there are more options for the developer to consider. They can either boost detail and complexity by choosing to render at 720p (or below) resolutions with 30fps target or they can deliver a more graphics sterile game at 1080p with 60fps target.
    On PC, given that you have the necessary power, you can go past those limitations but still PCs are terribly inefficient. I can't imagine running a game with graphics like those of Uncharted 3 for example on a PS3-similar spec PC and with a laughable amount of 256Mb system RAM. You would probably be around the 1-5fps region.

There are no games "optimised" for PC hardware either. Even PC exclusive titles have to compromise for low spec hardware, backwards compatibility with older OS and APIs and of course, no game is being developed with a GTX 680 or a 7970 as a core. What you get with those GPUs is simply a fps boost over a (e.g.) GTX 260-designed game.

In the end we all (PC gamers) end up having to use a nuclear missile to kill a fly.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    too slow YEES

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah, I was mentioning this stuff in one older thread. Hope we get those bindless extensions in DirectX soon.. :)

hehe I know this MDolenc author of the article, well not in person but we talked and argued a bit few times @ local forum, he knows a lot of gfx stuff :nerd:

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    every new console gen games look nicer for a year on said console, then pc bounces back, I don't see the upcoming gen as any different.

People need to realize while the next-gen systems will have weaker specs such as the rumored 7670, the hardware has much more overhead than on PC where windows is hogging up many resources.

7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    What's bad though is that even if the next DX/OpenGL have the best optimal solution, it will take so long time until most games use it. Windows 7 and DX11 will live on for so long

The PC may be in for alot of hurt if it takes long for the CPU overhead to get solved

8. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I am still running a single 5850, 900/1200 clocks, 4 GB DDR2 RAM (timings have been tweaked of course, pumping out 13.2 GB/s bandwidth), customized windows 8, and my good ol' trusty 300GB V.Raptor drive. I can still run all my games 1920x1200 on my S-PVA 24 in. monitor. I don't game like I did in my teens, so no need to constantly dump money into my system, yet at the same time I do not need to as all my games SCII, BF3, D3, ect run maxed out with all the FPS I need.

If I see a stutter, no matter how "micro" ;P or any slow downs at all, I'll freak. I have another 5850 sitting around, but I don't use it because I don't need it.

In terms of $$$$$ a console will NEVER compete with PCs. They have to make them so cheap in order to mass produce them and be able to make a profit, no matter how little. Some companies have lost money for each console sold before. They just have no way of competing. I stopped using consoles about a year after the Xbox360 came out because it was just JUNK. It was a JOKE to me! They look so awful, so blurry, I mean some of the games looked like the old Counter-Strike.... BEFORE SOURCE....... The only problem is the majority of people I know with consoles have NEVER SEEN a decent computer run a nice game. I've seen these people trying to compare their compaq from early 2000s not even able to keep up with half life, and they claim Xbox is way better.

WELL OF COURSE!!! You can't expect people with absolutely no experience or knowledge with PCs, or even half way decent PCs to know the difference. Most people just think "hmmm, I can't play anything on my PC, but I can play anything on my xbox!"....

PC's will always win, unless of course, the masses and profits with mediocre consoles completely outweighs any benefit to making games for the PC. Which it is getting there... We need to really get more people involved with PC gaming, and try our best to show that really, you can game on PCs, with a much higher quality community, graphics, programming, ect. For not that much more than a console.

9. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I bought the Xbox 360 the day it came out, stood in line for 9 hours or so, I was quite disappointed in it. They spent more time it seemed adding in all these extra gimmicks and menus, netflix and youtube and all that (years later, but you get my drift...)

I just can't agree with that statement, my computer was years ahead of the Xbox when it came out, without AA/AF it has no chance at looking better. PCs didn't have to bounce back, they just pull further and further ahead. The lighting, the textures, everything was far ahead with the PC.

10. Mlekar

Mlekar Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
    No chance that 200 - 300 USD/EUR/GBP system would beat up my i7 3960X, GTX 690 and 16 GB quad channel RAM at any given resolution and visual quality settings... Simply no, only over my cold bloodless body.

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    The high-end PC 2010 (also my but I have changed CPU from AMD X6 1055T to Intel i5-2500K) MUST be faster PS4/XBOX 8!!

@Admin or @moderator:
    Sorry but therefore please you should close this thread because it's fake.

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    if the new consoles turn out to be more powerful that my new rig i will buy them and eat them for dinner.

13. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    i think it doesnt matter which component next gen consoles will use, but it is expected that they use just enough component for programmers to create games which is 3-5 times better than current gen consoles in terms of graphics technology.

But I dont think that next gen consoles catch up with PC quality.. :)

14. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    NO and it's shameful!! :mad:

15. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    My god a £250 console that isn't as powerful as a £1000 worth of PC hardware, what a mad mad world we live in.

A better question would be for the cost of one of the new next gen consoles can you build a PC that will deliver as enjoyable a gaming experience for the same money, better yet can you do that now with the current gen consoles and prices?

16. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Does anybody know some news about specs?
    I've read first couple of thread and wonder if they are true.

17. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Stop!!! Please read my post #111!!

This thread will be closed!!

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ricardo pls cut it out, you're not talking any sense again.

20. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2