System Restarts itself When Electricity is gone :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xtremegamer, Sep 30, 2012.

1. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi Guys...

When im Gaming if the electricity is gone, system restarts itself, My Ups is 600VA and PSU is Corsair 400WCX 30A, this is the first time Im facing, any idea Guys is it with Ups battery Failing or Psu, i think it restarts under heavy load(Gaming).....:(

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like the UPS is not switching over to battery quick enough

3. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

@Extraordinary k mate bt it happens under heavy load, Gaming.....

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    UPS is not meant for gaming (unless I have missed something) just to give enough power to let you shutdown properly with a power cut, or protect from power spikes

(I don't have a UPS so maybe there are some designed to power the PC and let you game, but I would imagine there is not enough power in a battery to power a PC under full load)

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The UPS battery isnt big enough to cope or has worn out.
    Are you running the display off the UPS as well?

6. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    A big enough UPS will let you game for a few minutes without power, useful in cases of a very brief split second power drop which happens time to time in some areas.

I would just get a bigger, better one. APC are usually some of the best... As Mufflore said it is either worn out or insufficient to begin with.

7. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

No mate display is connected to Ups, i will chk the battery, it's 7AH battery...

8. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

APC is best one out there, 1KVA is very expensive :(

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    7AH battery wouldn't even power a cellphone.....

After my last experience with APC.....I wouldn't touch another one.

10. TERRABYTEONE

TERRABYTEONE Guest

GPU:
    32g
    to small , i see this with a 700va unplug monitor + other items, (use non battery protection side(if it has it) keep pc on battery side

(p.s test system with out ups) so see if it not doing it.)

+

to disable power on after power loss, turn feature off in bios, typ set to restart on power loss, you can set it to remain off.

to test ups if working.

under no load.

unplug main power to ups, pc will stay on for a few minutes(plug monitor into seprate wall outlet-so you can see computer under load only). most ups have softwarte+usb cable hookup, you software should tell you under batter how much load is on ups. (then run linx, or game windowed demo), watch you load on software

typically internal batterys need changing every 3 years(recommended 2)

if so try force electronic

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

11. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    APC is the finest in the world when it comes to power protection, they protect some of the big skyscrapers belonging to large corporations

As with any product you get what you pay for - the cheap models are kind of cheap.. for instance the Back UPS is very low power and for very small systems.. for a big desktop or workstation setup Back UPS Pro or higher is recommended.. and any product like this requires you to perform maintenance and replace battery at regular intervals

12. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

These are my Ups Specs...

FEATURES
    Capacity: 600VA
    Microprocessor Controlled: Microprocessor controlled to guarantee high reliability
    Input Voltage: 230V AC
    Input Voltage Range: 140-300V AC
    Input Frequency: 45-65 Hz (Auto Sensing)
    Output Voltage: 230V AC
    Output Frequency: 50Hz or 60Hz
    Output Waveform: Modified Sinewave
    Battery Type: 12V- 7AH
    Recharge Time: 8 hours to 90% after complete discharge
    Transfer Time: 4-8ms
    LED Indicator: Single LED with various indication modes
    Audible Alarm: Beeper with various beeper modes
    Full Protection: Discharge- overcharge- and overload protection
    Power Outlets: 3-Pin x 3 Dimension (D x W x H): 335 x 132 x 204 mm
    Net Weight: 6 Kgs
    Noise Level: Less than 40dB
    Interface: Smart RS232
    UPS Software: Free downloadable for Windows family- Sun Solaris- IBM Aix- Compaq True64- UnixWare- FreeBSD- HP-UX- Linux and MAC
    Phone Line Protection: RJ-11 ports for phone line protection
    Unique carry handle
    Generator compatible
    Easy replaceable battery design
    Cold start function

13. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi..

I have another Ups which is only 500VA, it's a 345A battery(Car Battery), when i use tat ups it shows overload sometimes(Tripp Indicator Blinks) so i don't use...:(

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most skyscrapers are "protected" by CNG, Diesel or Bi-Fuel generators....not a battery backup UPS.... Those CNG, Diesel and Bi-Fuel generators are typically Generac branded...not APC. Most of the "battery backup" systems that were put in place, are MGE branded as APC has never designed a battery backup system capable of supporting such a large infrastructure.

APC is a division of Schneider Electric, bought out in 2007 and subsequently merged with Schneider's MGE UPS Systems division. At current, APC no longer exists as a company and is nothing but a brand name for UPS's distributed by Schneider Electric.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If I'm understanding correctly, you're gaming when the electricity goes off with the UPS powering your PC? It's not supposed to be used in that way unless you're talking about the random power fluctuations that happen. If it's the latter then definitely it's your battery losing charge due to age or manufacturing defect (if new).

16. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

@lucidus yeah right mate, bt why it restarts if does not have enough power it should shut down the system, in Bios i have set it to "Restore AC Power Loss-Power Off"......

Sorry for My English....

17. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi...

I did a simple test, Connected a 100w bulb to Ups and when i turn the switch off the bulb Flickers slightly when Ups switching to battery Mode, is it normal....

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sounds like the UPS is failing. It should be switching fast enough that the bulb doesn't flicker noticeably. Might also explain why your system turns back on.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I agree with Sykozis. It's probably the ups.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you have a DVOM (digital multimeter), connect it to one of the battery backup outlets and unplug the UPS while watching the meter. If you're on 230V service, you should see a very quick drop from 230V to 0V and back to 230V..... If it lingers at 0V for any period of time or the voltage changes slowly....replace the UPS. If you never see the voltage drop (i.e. stays at 230V)....test with another PSU.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012