Samsung Galaxy S3 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sdamaged99, May 7, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Adobe has discontinued support for Flash on Mobile devices to so it has to happen sooner or later.
    It won’t affect YouTube, and I hear the BBC has a new app out soon that doesn’t need Flash, and I’m sure many other developers are doing, or have already done the same.

Initially there might be a few sites with issues, but mostly it will just mean ads not working, which in general is a good thing.

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    @ Darren Hodgson

Quite a few questions.

KIES is junk, I'd just ditch it.

For file transfers just use explorer and copy and paste.
    For backing up the phone use MyPhoneExplorer
    For updating the phone use CheckFus Download and Odin (does official updates so warranty is fine).

As for Jellybean and flash, the phone is Android not IOS so you can just manually install it and it will work fine.

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Is there a way to page up in a web page fast way like in iphone? I mean lime u press HOME button.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    dcx_badass not the best example, while Kids is iffy recommending three apps to do the job of one looks poor.

As for Flash, best to avoid it altogether, the longer people force the install the longer we will be stuck with it.

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    All those Apps work and are much better than KIES though, updates are very rare and normally OTA, backup again I imagine is done maybe once a month or not at all. And Copy and Paste, not really an app.

The good thing with myphoneexplorer is it is cross platform as well.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I agree with you, but for someone new to Smartphones it sounds like overcomplicating a feature you already had.

Still stick by the Flash thing though.

7. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    im loving my S3 had it for about 2 mouth can't find much wrong with it, it is my first smartphone though

the only three things that bug me are the 1GB of ram seems to fill up fast, the very flexible back cover and of course the battier does run down quick

ive bought a 32GB SD card for it i just use explore for coping data on it. i also got the flip case but hated it got this instead Hybrid Rubberised Back Cover Case
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Gal...0082AXDYK/ref=pd_sim_ce_5/276-5315085-4714362
    it make the phone feel alot more sturdy and does not increase the weight or thickness to much got another battier and changer for it coming does anyone know a good high capacity battier?

i bought some 1.5m USB3 extension cable + some Samsung usb to micro usb cable as the cheap ones i bought would not work properly

i will prob install flash when ICS come but i do wish flash would die

i bought my S3 sim free so contract is to tied to the phone and vice verse

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  8. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    AFAIK, there are 2 ways to circumvent this. You can either try using this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1410262

Or you can swap your internal and external memory, making the s3 see you're sd card as its internal. So if you had a 64gb microsd, it would be like owning the 64gb s3 model. This is the xda thread for that:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1772234

I honestly haven't tried them yet but have seen people say that they work.

As for flash on JB, yes Adobe discontinued support so you won't be able to find the player on the Play Store, BUT you can side load the flash apk if you want. I'm running JB right now and have flash working just as good as before. XDA thread for that:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1768901

I only use the stock s3 browser and flash works fine there. Don't know about support for other browsers.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks georaldc. I've tried Directory Bind but it doesn't work as my phone is not rooted and that is not something I'm prepared to do while it is still under guarantee.

How much storage does Real Racing 2 need because I bought it last week and I've been unable to install it. The game downloads as an installer that tells you it requires 400+ MB of space then shows 853 MB when it starts downloading the data. However, on my S3 the game repeatedly gets to 97% and 832 MB before it just halts, even though the download still shows 100-200 kb/s of data being retreived!

I left it twice for over an hour and it doesn't change. When I exit and check the Storage available I see just 5 MB despite having first 1.2 GB free then 2.2 GB free after I uninstalled Dungeon Hunter 3 to make more space for the game. Settings > Application manager > Real Racing showed the game using 2.2 GB with 4 MB free on my internal memory at one point.

Why does the game claim to use approx. 900 MB when it evidently needs more than 2.2 GB? Why doesn't the installer alert me to a lack of storage space instead of getting stuck in what seems to be a loop because there's no more space left.

I don't want to uninstall anything else so unless someone knows a workaround to install it on the S3 then I'd appreciate knowing how I go about requesting a refund. Thanks.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Jellybean (Android v4.1.1) release schedule: http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Galaxy-S3-JellyBean-CRS

According to that list T-Mobile UK have released the update for my phone and, sure enough, I was prompted by Kies to install a new firmware, just nine days after I installed the last one. My battery charge was too low at 46% though and the upgrade would not proceed. I'm currently recharging so I can install the upgrade. I'm sad, I know, but I'm mildly excited. :)

11. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Don't know about the playstore version of Real Racing 2 since I downloaded mine off of the Samsung Apps store for free (along with a lot of other free stuff like Shadowgun and asphalt. Don't know if these are still free though). Lemme check real quick how large the data folder is here.

EDIT:
    My data folder is 1.1gb for RR2

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks, georaldc, for being the only one from two forums who has let me know how big the Real Racing 2 install is.

Odd though, even when I had 2.2 GB free I could not download RR2 from the Play Store as it would halt at 97% and the storage would show just a few KB left. I'll check the Samsung Apps store and see if it is available from there and try that instead (assuming it is still free).

Thanks again.

13. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I agree with badass, CheckFus Download is pretty good. I just used it 2 days ago.

Darren have you received your JB yet? Stupid KIES wont recognise my phone, so i guess ill be using CheckFus Download to get JB for 3UK

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I checked last night from Kies when I plugged my phone into my PC and there was no update. So, no, not yet.

It may come out over the weekend or it may be weeks away (somehow I can't see T-Mobile UK as being in a hurry to release it). Jellybean certainly looks nice in terms of performance but I think I can wait for it.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the info.

I downloaded Check Fus and it confirmed that I have the latest (ICS 4.0.4) update for my model of phone (GT-19300).

16. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ah well i doubt 3 will be any better than T-Mobile :) Might have to root mine again and enjoy freedom!

17. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Got a free game from samsung apps called shadowgun "only for galaxy s3 specalized game for quadcore" it says, also do you think jellybean os going to make a big difference.

18. Vardant

Vardant Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Most devices get a huge boost in the smoothness of the UI, etc. Google Now is also pretty handy.

19. saud1

saud1 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    once galaxy nexus was lackin in performance but since it got jelly bean! its amazin... me and couple of my friends didn't liked S3's touch wiz sh*t rom it ain't that smooth...but yeah custom roms are always there

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I really loving the phone so far, especially for being about to watch new episodes of Dexter, Fringe and Homeland on while in bed! :)

Alas, I've had a few issues that I presume are a result of software bugs and not a sign that the hardware is failing.

The first occurred last night when I plugged the earphones into the S3 which I do every day for my short walk to and from work. For some reason, the audio was not coming through the earphones and it took me a few minutes before I realised it was actually coming through the speaker. Unplugging then reconnecting the earphones did not fix it as the audio still came through the speaker. As such I had to walk home last night without any music. When I got home, I tried removing and inserting the earphones but it still did not work. Then I finally decided to restart the phone and, hey presto, the earphones were working again!

The second issue happened late last night when I wanted to check my phone while it was on the dock. The soft buttons worked but I couldn't select any of the buttons on screen; it was as if the touchscreen wasn't working. So I decided to restart the phone again (fortunately I was able to select the Restart option) and it fixed it.

Should I be worried or do those kind of things happen on these phones?