Need help changing bios fan profile for my current gfx card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Legendary_Agent, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Hello all, ive got an Asus HD7970 DirectCU II (NON Top) version, it semms to be a great card, i used to have a gigabyte 7970 windforce 1000mhz oc edition, ironically this gains an extra of 2-3 fps when overclocked from 925 to 1000mhz, so in performance departament it doesnt semm to loose rly.

The problem is the automatic fan profile, ive tried asus gpu tweak to read the vrm temperatures as gpu z did not detect my vrm, it worried me alot when with version ASUS GPU Tweak 2.2.0.1 when put all graphics on max at 1920*1080 and AA set to FxAA X 4 (Extreme) in a game named Trine 2 allowed the card to reach around 80ºC temp on the gpu and 98ºC temp on vrm, the fan was about 60% at that time and its simply unnaceptable.

I dont know why Asus is setting the fan speed so low but it worries me its going to kill my card so i really could use some help to set this card on 1000mhz on gpu clock and set my own fan profile and then save it to bios and update my card with this bios.

How can i achieve this please? its very important for me ive swapped gigabyte one because 1 of its fans were making a buzzing noise and yesterday the "vpu" crashed and the only one they had at the store with a custom cooler was this.

Thanks very much in advance!

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    MSI Afterburner.

[​IMG]

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ^^^^^^^^^^this

4. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Sorry i dont want any software as it is a risk, what if it malfunctions one day, what if i format my pc and forget about it? the only reason ill ever use a software like that is to set once the clock speed and fan speed and never touch it again, please i really need hardware based rather than software based from ur HDD

It must not be hard, ive seen some bios for hd7970 on the net with the clocks i want but nothing about fan profiling.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Wouldn't Radeon BIOS Editor allow you to modifiy a VBIOS and set the fan profile yourself?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You must be joking - claiming software is risky yet you don't mind messing around with the BIOS??

What if it malfunctions one day....? :paranoid::paranoid::paranoid: Well one day the sky may cave in too.... :paranoid::paranoid:

Jeez Louise...:3eyes:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  7. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Guest

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    lol yeah i was thinking the same thing :bang: messing with the vbios is waaay more risky then afterburner ever could be , bro just set ab to start with windows and set up overclock or just fan profiles then bam that's it , easy as pie , i have no idea why you think it would be risky , oh and btw the vrm's can handle up to around 115 c i believe , but there is a easy fix , but it will cost a bit , but you will never have to worry about fan speeds again , just water cool it :) you will see your temps drop to less then or around 1/2 of what your seeing now :)

8. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Thank you espionage that was indeed a great suggestion, i already knew about RBE but unfortunatelly it doesnt work with HD7000 series :\

As for the others saying vbios is way more risky than software, you obviously did not understand anything of what ive said, i would rather rely on a bios which has nothing to do with software and cannot be broken by any way rather than rely on a software to do crucial tasks like not kill my card in the long time.
    If you disagree i dont have to agree with you.

Does anyone knows of anything similar to RBE? or a way to read the bios and reprogram it myself? im almost sure all i need to change is a few lines of script, however i never programmed any bios so its only a random guess.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  9. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    its impossible to kill a card by overheating it modern gpus automatically goto 100% fan speed AND throttle the core down when the core-temp exceeds a 100C- the vrm's are rated for temps in excess of 120c(normal operating conditions) they can safely handle upwards of 150c according to the tech papers

screwing around with the vga bios is a epic way to instantly and permanently brick the card
    O yea and give me 30 seconds of access via team viewer and I can brick the card remotely .. just fyi

hex editor > Winflash > pwnt
    PROTIP:BIOS IS SOFTWARE

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012