Still waiting on those offical beta drivers amd!!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Valagard, Sep 15, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Thank god none of these people owned computers back in the mid-late 90's when drivers were only released "as needed" and not with any regularity....or in the 80's and early 90's when the only driver available....came with the hardware....

2. peterjackoff

peterjackoff Guest

GPU:
    ati 6450
    sky, I feel you man.

I did own computers back then and the problem was different.

"Drivers" either worked or, if not, you dissasembled them and patched them.

You KNEW waiting for the manufacturer was usually not a feasible solution in any reasonable timeframe.

Today's systems complexity pretty much rules option 2, but manufacturers release more and more broken hardware/software (or should I rather say, "almost finished", euphemism for "unfinished-it-still-fails-some-tests-but-we-are-going-to-release-anyway-and-fix-later").

Except that the "fixing later" hardly ever comes soon enough. Sometimes, it never comes.

I, for once, wished AMD released a new set of drivers with NO NEW FEATURES and NO NEW IMPROVEMENTS other than fixing (all/most) known bugs. This includes issues with the installers/uninstallers, multiple GPU systems, etc.

I have issues that range from "selecting 1 card as primary in win7 64 works 100% for months, selecting the other makes the system unstable within hours" (both AMD, both 6xxx family, two different motherboards). And I only do 2D stuff (but with accelerated graphics and video) to bittling a bitmap sometimes produces a flash in an (empty) part of the screen (that clears up) in SOME drivers revisions (but not others).

Or overdrive settings in ccc apply to whichever adapter it chooses "randomly" And installation routines usually mess things up, upon first installation system becomes unstable within minutes (red-dots start to appear, eventually driver re-starts, eventual freeze, all this with no overclocking) but as soon as the drivers are disabled in control panel and then re-enabled, voila, working 100% for weeks. Until the next driver update ...

Etc, etc.

And no, I don't do "weird things" with registry, overclocking, etc. I do clean installs, even in windows 7 embedded often, but I do need multiple (3, 4 or 5) screen outputs for 2D applications.

I test diferent motheboards, BIOS, settings, RAM, APU's, GPU's ... it all comes down to the same. "Unfinished" ccc, not-so-great "clean" installers ... lots of complicated stuff (steady-video, really??) and some drivers working only to get the next revision acting up again.

I would stick to a driver revision "that works", except that performance is still not there for large low-energy multi-screen setups (think E-series, almost, but not there yet) and I keep trusting AMD is improving this areas (specially OpenCL/OpenGL) w/o f*cking things up.

I understand is work in progress. That's what I need, the progress. Releasing drivers every several months doesn't let me properly figure what hardware/software I need to buy to meet the performance/cost/power targets.

This is the last time I bet on a "future fix". From now on I'll buy over-spec'ed hardware that has been in the market for at least 6 months and which has very few complains on the internet about bugs-issues. No more next-generation APU's (was looking forward to desktop Trinitys, but will pass for a while) to later find out they have driver issues with such-and-such adapter and waiting months to get them fixed (or not).

3. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    So living in the past is great and screw progress? :banana:

Guarantee I'm older than you and still think this whole driver situation sucks. Should be better by now.

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Then there's no damn point, if they are just going to do craploads of internal testing before releasing a beta driver, its not actually a beta driver then, its just a Release Candidate driver

5. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    And that's a bad thing? Wouldn't you rather a driver that worked across the board?

Can't please everyone, ya know.

6. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Sorry, but it's safe to say that you'll NEVER get a driver that works across the board from AMD. You'll always have to put up with minor and some major annoyances independent of which driver you'll use.

And "Can't please everyone" is ridiculous. I can understand if they drop 5 year old hardware off their to-do list, but they suck at supporting even their latest gen, not even talking about the rest. I think the last time people were king of satisfied with drivers was in the 5-series when CatalystMaker was still responsible for quality.

7. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    ^Yeah my spelling is right, thanks.

The thing is: Moaning about getting the next driver may only work one time, but it's not guaranteed to work the next.

Seriously, this world of "supply and demand" we have built ourselves has clearly warped our minds.

8. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    You know, if the drivers weren't so crappy there would not be such a huge demand for the next one.

9. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Hence, the reason for waiting.

10. poedoom

poedoom Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire hd4870
    Well im with you 100% on this i been an AMD user for a few good years now coming from nvidia i always thought £ vs fps its AMD all the way but the lack of new drivers is making me once again look@ nvidia cards, i dont think it has ever been the same since andy left AMD. Yeah i'm prolly going get grilled for this, but its the way i feel. We now rely on unofficial leaks, we were promised alot and ended up with nothing AMD is acting like a company going under, this is not how you should treat your consumer base. Go on fire away guys i expect nothing less i am really glad someone had the b@lls to start this topic.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Waiting on beta drivers what?

12.7 was just released and it wasn't 4 months ago. AMD never said they would release betas every other week either. They said they were dropping HD 4 series and under to legacy to better focus on HD 5 series and up. They never claimed you'd be getting drivers THAT fast. We just had 12.8 released also, and HOLD EVERYTHING....a new driver no doubt this month will show up.

Why not try some of ader00's drivers if you are that impatient OP?

I run ader00's post of august 15th 9.00's just fine, and it even fixed the random downclocking in GW2 to 2D clocks.

12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    You should ask how often Nvidia release drivers. I think that is going to help decide what brand to buy next time.

About the thread, I think it is a little pointless when you have like 5 threads/links of drivers in the first page.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Age has little to do with it. It's a matter of being realistic. With AMD's monthly releases, people complained about stability and performance. AMD drops the monthly releases and now people complain that drivers aren't coming fast enough even though there's been 1 driver released every month since the announcement. What exactly do you people want? More drivers....or better quality?

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Nvidia is lacking in drivers more than AMD, even leak wise lately. Their forums were hacked as well, causing even more delays. So what you say is quite irrelevant.

15. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    My point was to show what you just said. I didnt say or imply Nvidia release more drivers, it is quite the opposite.

12.6 Beta has been so good for me that I dont need to upgrade/change drivers just for the sake of new drivers.

16. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    "You people"? I love that condescending phrase. I want better quality but we get neither, especially switchable laptops. Did AMD have no involvement in putting them on the market?

Yes, I'm pissed. If we had any bollocks we would sue.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Last I checked, AMD has left it up to laptop makers to support models with "switchable graphics".... They provide the laptop makers with generic drivers (just like they used to for Radeon Mobility in the past) and it's up to the laptop makers to modify them for each specific model.

18. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    And a total cop out by AMD and all players, AMD, manufacturers and Intel should be ashamed. Really think the whole mess is ripe for a class action lawsuit. I could care less if I get any money, just want their attention.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Keep in mind that the extent of their legal obligation is providing a driver that's functional at launch. They're not obligated to support products released by other companies.... It's up to the game devs to make sure their products run properly.

As far as that class action lawsuit....2 things. You can't just file a class-action suit....you have to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that your claim effects a large portion of consumers....and the other is....
    [​IMG]

20. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    You are the big Guru so I must bow to your opinion I guess. Still very sad lots of switchable laptop owners have been hosed by AMD, manufacturers and Intel.

:behead: