The Quest For Dark Souls On PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Final8ty, Jan 7, 2012.

1. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    The Tomb of Giants is just destroying me at the moment, but totally agree this game is a masterpiece.

2. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Just a quick question and then I'm off to bed. What affects weapon speed? I notice that with some big weapons the time it takes to strike is slow. Is that affected by improving strength/dexterity, or is that just the weapons speed and it's fixed?

3. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Weapon speed is fixed, all strength and dexterity do is allow you to equip different weapons and increase damage depending on how they scale (you can look at it in the menu, there are letters beside icons, E is the worse scaling, S is the best, if there is no letter then it does not scale, the icons represent strength, dexterity, intelligence and faith respectively so choose a weapon scaling with whatever stat you put most points in out of those).

4. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Why do I have 10 estas flasks in firelink shrine and 5 in other shrines? How else are you supposed to heal from injuries?

5. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    You need to Kindle every new bonfire you rest at to get more than 5+ flasks

6. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Oh... Kindle? But I need to be human to do that. It tells me I have no humanity but I've collected a number of humanity. Weird.

Edit : this is bull****. I just used (2) humanity and then when I want to use the kindle option it says I need a secret rite. How am I supposed to know what a secret rite is?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    Kindling just increases the number of flasks to 10

When you rest on the bonfire and get the options to Level up there is also an option to Kindle. To kindle you need one humanity to reverse hollowing (you become human) and another to kindle the flame.

8. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Got it to work, but burned through 2 humanity for no reason. I'm trying to find a merchant that sells substances that can allow me to fight ghosts.

In fact I'm trying to get back to the Aslyum and I believe I need the bird to take me there. But how do I get to top of the nest? It doesn't seem like I can.

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  10. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    You can buy transient curses from the undead woman merchant in the sewers, but unless your well leveled up and dealing a lot of damage I wouldn't bother with New Londo Ruins yet as the Four Kings boss fight requires you to be dealing a lot of damage so you can kill each one quickly.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I went to New Londo Ruins around lvl 100 cause why not -.- was walk in the park

12. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Are there any quests or interesting things in the undead asylum? Should I go back, or can I back? Any merchants selling things there?

That's the thing, there is no map, I don't know where to go so it's all incredibly confusing to me. Perhaps it's more "realistic" that way, but it's getting a little frustrating for me.

13. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
  14. gh4stly

gh4stly Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx970 g1 gaming 1599mhz
    there's a really tough optional boss, a good shield and a possible chance of getting a black knight sword which is my current favorite weapon in the game. i wouldn't go back there until youre done with blighttown.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    very nice, though needs some work

16. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    How do I get back to that place?

I must say I'm physically, emotionally and mentally drained playing this game. I am level 40 now, but I spent 4-5 hours trying to kill those Balrog dragon monsters. 4-5 hours! I could kill 1, perhaps 2, maybe even 3 but the last one just kept on killing me ... or I died because I was knocked off a ledge. Something prevented me from killing all of them.

So I finally killed them, got the ring. Then I traveled further to find that giant dragon which killed me. I had 20 bombs, I used them all, the creature had like 10% life left and I died. To make matters worse I killed the undead merchant who sold those bombs so I won't be getting them anymore.

Then, to make matters worse I accumulated 20000 souls. And I lost them all .. I was so close to retrieving them, then I died again. So I'm physically drained, I have a huge headache playing this game. In fact I don't recall ever swearing so much in one game as this one. I almost broke my LCD monitor because I was making no progress at all.

I need enchanted weapons or something. I have maxed out my weapon to + 5, doing 200 damage at most. I could do with some lightning damage, so I'm trying to do the whole ascension thing but I need parts which I have no way of knowing where to find it, unless I google it.

I can't find a merchant who sells transient curses. Sewers? Where is that? Which part of the game? I'm tired. :(

17. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    The game is very tough on your first play through as nothing is explained to you and you are not guided to the areas that you need to go to first so venturing into New Londo Ruins or the Catacombs with a low level character is pretty much a suicide mission. I made lots of mistakes and I'm not just talking about killing monsters and bosses, but also leveling my character and upgrading weapons.
    Take a look at a Dark Souls Wiki which explain everything you need to know about the game.

18. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    +5 isn't the maximum, you need to find an ember to give to Andrei so he can get it to +10, and another ember so he can upgrade them to +15, which is the maximum.
    I'd recommend not ascend it to a lightning weapon unless you're planning on not leveling up strength/dexterity, since ascending them to elemental weapons causing them to lose scaling with your stats, magic, enchanted, divine and occult weapons still do scale but mostly with int and faith, they don't actually do much damage though, kind of terrible. The other problem with elemental weapons is that they need to go through 2 different defense stats so the damage can turn out lower than a standard weapon scaling with strength or dexterity, lightning isn't as problematic though since few enemies actually resist it. You can't forge a lightning weapon until you reach Anor Londo though, sorry.
    You need to find embers to give to blacksmiths to allow them to upgrade any weapon to their full potential anyway.

As for the merchant, I believe it is the one in the aqueduct behind bars, right beside the path to lower Undead Burg.

19. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I don't even know where lower Undead Burg is. Maybe I do, but the chances are I don't. LOL. There are too many places, I just don't know where what is. :)

20. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I've got one of those big swords (forget the name) but it's +5 and I noticed that if I want ascension the base stat damage decreases but then I see there is a ton of lightning damage, at least that is what I think I'm seeing. Obviously I need a green shard or ember (whatever you call it) to make it work.

So ascension isn't the best for a weapon? Never knew you could get 15+.

Edit : so you have higher tiers as well? Boss level weapons?

I don't know how to get back to the beginning of the game (the asylum). I would like to see if I missed something and work my way from there. But yeah, I need to get some things and I'm not sure where to go. Logic tells me I need to find the mechant selling curses, but I don't have the foggiest clue where. I know where Undead Parish is. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012