306.02-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by hanschke, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Milltach

Milltach Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560 ti
    Oh great, Heroes VI ist still freezing with this driver.

I was using 304.79, but after every 5th fight event or entering the townhall the game freezed. After that I was using the old 301.42, ok its working. Other new games are running a little bit slower but well I have to use this because nvidia is not testing drivers.

Now GeForce 306.02 is here. What do I see? Heroes VI is running well... wait... until Im entering some Fort or I want to convert them. Freeze, freeze, freeze.

Just one word @nvidia: "Wow" , just "Wow"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Fiatsu

Fiatsu Guest

GPU:
    GTX 590
    sigh... i may have spoken too soon.

Just to be sure:
    When your screen suddenly goes black and your monitor shuts off from no input but you can still hear the games audio.
    Is that a Graphics driver crash or possibly something else?

happened to me just now in iRacing, i tested yesterday for hours fine.
    Played MW3 for hours fine and it suddenly happened.

My PC was sleeping as i was last night and i doubt the PC being on for days would somehow make the system run slow/ cause driver crashes?

Anyway if the official doesn't cure all these problems i don't know what to think anymore.

3. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    submit a ticket, I had that too. Driver crashes, monitor went to "no signal". Its an issue.

4. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    When starting up some games such as L4D2 my display would go black during the initial loading screens (though it's rare). I simply power cycle the monitor and then it displays properly again.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I had that once in RE5 dx10 variable benchmark (4th test), when i forced prefer maximum performance it went away..
    This was with some ooold 270.xx driver, i now force prefer max perf. with every driver (in game profile) and I never saw this issue again.

6. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    I generally force max performance with Inspector before I launch a game (since Nvidia never properly implemented that feature in Windows XP), but sometimes I forget and the card switches p-states.

7. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    I force max performance too 306 was the first driver I've ever had this happen with.

8. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    It seems Nvidia is still playing around with the pre-render limit. I just tried a setting of 1 for L4D2 (which I've used fine in the past) and FPS turned into SPF (seconds per frame). 0 (app controlled) or 2 is fine. It could've been Valve who broke the game again though, but it sounds awful similar to the problem some of you guys were having with Deus Ex.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  9. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    If you have the latest version of Darksiders 2 could you test our 306.02 AA bit please, to see if it still works. My own tests suggest it no longer functions, but I'd like some confirmation on that before I submit a bug to our ever-busy profile wranglers.

I realize the game now has built-in post-process AA, but personally I'll take ultra-sharp MSAA wherever possible, as long as it doesn't tank performance that is. And yea, we are aware that Death doesn't appear in the inventory screen when using the bit, but that's unavoidable without a ton of work given that DS2 uses a deferred renderer, and if you know about adding MSAA to a deferred renderer that's a comparatively minor issue.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    @ AndyB

What about a Guild Wars 2 AA bit? Can we expect any performance improvements with the next driver release?

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'll check tonight but I immediately disabled the 8QxMSAA/4xTrSSAA and High quality AO I had forced for this game when I found out it supported both anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion in the new patch. I agree that the in-game FXAA is not as nice as forcing AA but the game feels and runs smoother (even though the framerate is still 60 fps with both!) plus Death is visible in the pause menu so I prefer the games options. FXAA works fine in this game anyway as even without AA the artwork doesn't look too aliased at 1920x1200, the resolution I'm playing it at. It is certainly not as distracting as other games I've played that have lacked AA, e.g. GTA IV.

While I appreciate the driver team supporting AA in games where the developers are too lazy to bother themselves, IMO it is always better to use the in-game AA and AO where possible as there are likely to be less issues.

As for the issue with Death not showing in the menu with forced MSAA/CSAA; can you not disable AA for this screen and then re-enable it when the game is unpaused? Or is that not easy to do? Apart from the pause menu, forced AA seems to work fine in the actual game now that the sun-through-walls bug has been fixed.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Does anyone know if my issue has something to do with this Driver?

There is 3 options for Youtube Videos when it comes to sizes. The normal one, bigger and fullscreen.

Now the bigger option does not work anymore. When i click it it does go to the middle of the screen, but it stays the same size as small.

13. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    0x00401240 may work for GW2 AA; unaware of any perf improvements for the next WHQL given the short time between it and the beta (the time required for WHQL approval means we have to sign off on the driver a fair bit in advance).

14. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Not true for me since that's one of the main reasons I buy Nvidia hardware. Unfortunately, as with all other post processing methods, I've never seen an implementation of FXAA yet that provides both good AA and little blur and is anywhere close to what I'd consider good quality. I wonder what you need two GTX 680 in SLI for if that's not what you aim for.

15. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    Appreciate the detailed feedback! Far better than getting sworn at via PMs :) The in-game AO is pretty much on par with what we had via the driver, but yea, always better to use the in-game one as it'll be optimized and made specifically for that title with the variables defined for it, instead of generally. You're right, the PP AA is pretty good, but I'm an IQ snob, and when you have SLI 680s it's hard not to enable the highest settings available via any avenue :)

I investigated that stuttering issue you and others were talking about, and tried the other SLI bit, but I couldn't detect it locally, making it impossible to submit a bug. Sadly, you cannot change bits on the fly, though if you could that'd make my life a whole lot easier! Driver team, drop everything, revolutionize graphics APIs and implement this ASAP!

16. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    Batman: AC and Max Payne 3 have the best FXAA implementations I've seen to date. And because of the many transparent textures in BAC FXAA results in the best overall IQ.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Darksiders II was weird in that I always had 60 fps even with 8QxMSAA/4xTrSSAA using the profile in the latest v306.02 driver but it never felt smooth to play. It was especially obvious for me when rotating the camera around Death with the Xbox 360 controller as it seemed to skip frames. It is hard to explain.

However, since I changed the SLI flag to 0x42404005 as reported in *THIS* thread I've found the game to feel much smoother and the stuttering has gone except for the odd one when the game is streaming in a new area. Perhaps you could test that flag for inclusion in a later driver?

18. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    That's what I tested locally, but I didn't detect any change. Either I'm not sensitive to stutter in DS2, or it only occurs on certain HW+SW configurations.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have GTX 680 SLI more to ensure I get a perfect v-synced 60 fps in all my games (i.e. that the minimum framerate is 60 fps or as near to as possible) not particularly to force ridiculously high levels of anti-aliasing, although I consider that a nice bonus to be able to have as well. :)

FXAA isn't my favourite anti-aliasing either (I think of it as a poor man's MSAA to be honest) but I'd rather have it then none at all and in some games it works better than others IMO. For example, FXAA looks fine in Darksiders II but looks a bit poor in Deux Ex: Human Revolution, likely because the latter has a lot of straight edges whereas the former has more organic geometry that masks jaggies better. FXAA is fine though when combined with MSAA support like Skyrim and Max Payne 3 have as the FXAA has a lower performance overhead for removing jaggies from transparent textures on trees and fences, etc., than transparency multi or supersampling.

20. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    The latest version of FXAA is pretty awesome, and when implemented by devs there's minimal blurring. And with more and more deferred renderer games coming out FXAA is going to be the only in-game AA option, and perhaps the only option full stop if we're unable to make a MSAA bit with no corruption (the DS2 bit is an exception as the corruption is limited to a non-vital, entirely cosmetic portion of the screen in a menu).