5 Years later, I am back into the game...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by xgpu, Sep 6, 2012.

1. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    Well, so I was a pretty hard-core PC gamer back from the 3DFX days, til 2006. Coming back, after financial crisis (lol) and lots of moving around from state to state, I am back. I have been running a Bulldozer 8150 setup, OC'd to a nice and stable 4.4ghz and 1860mhz RAM.

A lot has changed but some has not. One thing I have noticed, is that tweaked drivers no longer seem to be the rage. In fact, looking at the driver section here, most of all the Omega/ Tweaked drivers are from back around the time I stopped PC gaming. What happened? There was so much potential! Some of the best graphics I have ever seen were because of tweaked drivers and insane levels of detail. I remember Far Cry 1 max settings, and then Far Cry 1 max settings with tweaked high quality drivers and it was a whole different world. Vegetation/ grass was insanely real.

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Profiles and injectors have pretty much changed everything.

The interfaces are such that there isnt anything really to tweak anymore. Everything is in the DLLs rather than in XML or inf files.

3. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    Welcome to the New WoRlD . XGPU..

Play some new games... get yr hands warmed up again... and do us some favours... try to make the AMD driver much better than every one... :)

4. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    Thanks much! Too bad there's not a like button for that comment ;)

5. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    Are you referring to the standard profiles from within the drivers? Or another utility?

6. Samy

Samy Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5000 Mobile
    I will keep an eye on that interesting thread :)

7. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    both

Driver are set up to tweak profiles on a per-game basis though CATs, the internal driver profiles, or external programs such as CCC, radeon pro, or ATT.

The only tweaking really left is compatabilitiy and GPU family issues....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  8. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    Well, that's cool. I just checked Omegadrivers.net. Looks like they are still going strong, even expanding out to tweaking LAN drivers and what not and they seem to have a new release for tweaked AMD/ Nvidia drivers. Not sure exactly what they are tweaking, maybe just higher default anisotropic/ LOD stuff.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    doubtfull. that can be done in CCC or though a profile.

Its probobly more AMD chipset related stuff.

10. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    Depending on your version card, it can be that only so much filtering can be achieved. That at least is one thing that seems to have been the same since back as much as five years ago. E.g. certain generation cards not being able to go beyond 8-16x filtering or AA. Maybe they just force higher settings all a cross the board for all cards. I'll try them out when I get home from work to see what the story is.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    again, those filters can be changed though CCC/profiles. there is no need to do anything to the drivers.

Omegadriver is just reposting stock releases.

They are not modified in any way.

The Omega Drivers project died in 2008.

12. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    ah okay...so they no longer do the thing where, say, if you are using a 4xxx series card, the higher AA/ AF settings are locked out to you but if you own a high-end current gen card you have higher multiplier available to you? It use to be that way. Yes, even in CCC. If, say you had an 1800XT, you couldn't select the AA/ AF levels in CCC that you could on, say a 2600xt

I understand you can change stuff in CCC etc. those options have not changed one bit, with exception to more options in AMD Overdrive and the addition of Tessellation setting. I was just merely talking about how certain AA/ AF level locked out lower gen cards but being forced through means of registry hacks/ tweaked drivers.

13. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
  14. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    LycanWrath, not seeing that site, the link doesn't work.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    For tweaked driver set, there's one from TwL, our local resident.
    Then there are DNA and Xtreme-G.
    What Lycan was trying to post is Xtreme-G, and you have to remove the dashes from the link because apparently the url is being censored here for some reason.

16. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    Thanks much guys...so in other words, the scene is still alive!

17. j2.Nocturne

j2.Nocturne Member

GPU:
    eVGA 780TI Classified
    xg and guru had a huge fight ages ago, i dont even remember the specifics, but they are not allowed to be talked about here, thus the censoring

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Your better off just using Radeon Pro, most of the MODded drivers are for exotic hardware and mobile chips....unlocking additional CCC options, doesnt mean they will work (temporal AA for example)

Most of those tweaks are just reg settings anyway, there isnt a whole lot you can do with the driver..

its not like the old days where people would get creative and create dx wrappers to run NVidia demos and stuff like that...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  19. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Huh, that's news to me. *looks at own join date*
    Now I know; thanks.

@The Mac
    Creating wrappers for nVidia demos aren't exactly driver tweaks, IMO...and it's actually the one thing people still do, like for the New Dawn demo.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i realize wrappers arent driver tweaks, it was just an example of creativity in the past. When that 1st dawn wrapper came out, it was a big deal..

theres a new wrapper? news to me...

got a link?