[Softpedia] AMD’s Steamroller to Be Faster Than Intel Haswell

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by -Tj-, Sep 5, 2012.

1. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Even if Steamroller does not beat Haswell but will be slightly better than Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge then it will still be good competition since AMD will price it lower than Intel.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i hope they can do it

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    After Faildozer, I do hope AMD will be able to show something interesting. Even if my next PC will be Intel-powered, it should be good for the competition.

4. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Ah,remember the glorious AMD Athlon XP days,then came Conroe on the throne.
    Hope this is true,just like competitive and stimulative market.
    I think it will get a completely new socket if the architecture changes drastically.

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I hope it won't have rounded corners, cause you know... patents. :)

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    The BEST AMD EVER had were the FX series, remember them?

They were expensive as hell but were the best at the time...

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A steamroller is slow, heavy, and outdated.

A sign, maybe?...

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I see what you did there. :nerd:

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Yes we all know Bulldozer failed to deliver what we all expected, but before you all get your panies in a bunch, Steamroller is once again designed for specific server environments and yes, may actually compete with Haswell on that front (may not too). They aren't talking gonna unsurp SB/IB or even Haswell in the desktop high performance category.

Just stop or dont even start the stupid yelling back and forth regarding that. If anything, talk technology. If you want to see some technical information on what Steamroller will be I would recommend the Anandtech article, or other various ones that discuss the new Steamroller info that AMD released. Because there are some very interesting things (tech wise) that Streamroller will change from Bulldozer.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

Hum the FX 40 - 60 was just the high end model of the Athlon 64 and Athlon 64x2... ( single and dual core ) .. Then again you will not have thoses 2 cpu's if they was not the Athlon 64 architecture.

AMD was pretty well faster of intel ( not in all case ) with the Athlon XP, ( the Newcastle, Barton ) allready before introduce the Athlon 64 where they was pretty well dominate Intel ....
    Specially funny when we know from where was starting AMD at this time. The Athlon 64 had all what have not Intel at this time: 64bits native, then first multi-core.
    And ofc beast in Overclocking ( not on the mhz side, but the scaling was tremendous, specially coupled with a DFI NF4 + BH5 or TCCD 600mhz DDR ).

For Steamroller, time will tell.... Something is sure, the choice made on Bulldozer was extremely innovative, and i have allways doubt they was made thoses choice without a good reason. If Bulldozer have not deliver as intended, but Steamroller fix and bring what should have been initially in this architecture and was going wrong.. they could deliver.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

11. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    AMD is still doing competitively well in the server market. If they can keep that up, you'll continue to see their processors. Even so, I would like to see them put out something competitive to Intel on the consumer front too. Even if it is merely on par with Ivy Bridge, that would be a great step forward on their part. But, I'll just keep an occasional glance to them until they prove my attention should be focused on them.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I loved my Athlon XPs, I had 3 of them, ending up with a low power mobile that clocked to 2.7GHz.
    Similar with Athlon 64s, had 2 of them both clocked like loonies and performed very well for their time.
    Then AMD dropped the ball.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Had lotta amd chips starting with a k6-2 500mhz all Thea way up to socket 939 but I go where the performance is and I switched to Intel socket 775 and on

14. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    :thumbup:

[​IMG]

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AMD better do it right this time... seeing steamroll being steamrolled... that's hella of irony to handle.

16. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    This takes a bit of believing, but my electric bill has dropped by £175 over the past year since I installed an i5 2500K in my latest rig, after using a Phenom II 1100BE for a couple of years.
    By no means am I an Intel fanboy either.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can see a good reduction in power use, but some of that saving may be down to something else.

It costs around £1 to run 1 Watt constantly for 1 year.
    So you are using around 175W less, continuously on average throughout the year.
    Not all that could be down to the CPU and motherboard unless you run Folding @ Home or similar on a constant basis.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Faster than Haswell... sure, at twice the clock speed with twice as many cores... in cherry picked benchmarks... in AMD's dreams.

19. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, the Anandtech article didn't really say it's going to be faster, just competitive.

I think that only bad reposting and poor interpretation paired with seeking for some sensation lead to such revelations.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Faster than Haswell

At what ?

:p