306.02-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by hanschke, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I don't think it's needed there anyway, BF3 doesn't really feel smooth below 60FPS so one should rather reduce quality settings to achieve this. Also, there's enough ingame options to reach a good frame drops / input lag compromise. The right combination of
    GameTime.MaxVariableFPS
    RenderDevice.VSyncEnable
    RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable
    RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit
    should always give good results.

2. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    Whats the deal with the pixel clock thing? I run 120hz @ 1680x1050 without a problem on my GTX 680

Sounds like they aren't installing the drivers for their monitor if they are having issues.

3. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    The mentioned 1440p@82Hz require an approximately 50% higher pixel clock than your pretty low settings. It's more than twice the number of pixels. And this is relevant for a lot of people, even if you don't have that kind of hardware, it heavily affects the card's downsampling capabilities.

PS:

From Timothy Lottes' blog.

At least they should know about it by now and since it worked with earlier drivers, I'm pretty confident they'll fix this. Add in DX1x LOD support and if all this happens still within 2012 I'll be a happy customer. AMD isn't anywhere close to Nvidia when it comes to listening to the people who buy their stuff.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  4. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    To keep it short just like they have locked overclocking capabilities to a certain extent on the 600 series the newer drivers have limited the pixel clock this stop people who are using the 2560x1440 resolution monitors with a pcb board capable of being overclocked reaching 120hz at 2560x1440 which is only achieveable by overclocking atm as no company makes that resolution screen at 120hz

TLDR : they are locking drivers to prevent overclocking of monitors and already have locked certain overclocking capabilities of 600 series

It's just for them to profit which is horrible

5. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Is there any proof they did this intentionally? What should be their profit in this?

6. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    yea, where is the profit??... and what is limiting the overclock?

This all sounds really conspiracy theory-ish. My card isn't overclocking any less with 306.xx drivers. I can see blocking people from buying those lower end LCDs and overclocking them to 120hz, but as far as changing overclocking of the GPU and using a 120hz LCD I've see no difference at all.

7. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    Well since people started overclocking there screens and running at 120hz which hasn't been around that long pre this happening all drivers have never had a pixel clock limit

The issue was raised on the nvidia forums before it went down with no reply and the forums never came back up since 24th july ....

Also all the newer beta drivers and the new whql driver which was shipped with the 660 i believe also had the pixel limit clock which means it was not a bug and put in purposely

As for what should there profit be well if they bring out there next series card say the 700 series with drivers without a pixel clock and specifically make those drivers only work with the 700 series then everyone will need a 700 series card to be able to run 120hz at 2560x1440 same reason they limited the voltage features on the 600 series cards it prevents the cards being pushed further so when new cards come out people are more likely to buy new cards since the performance gains of the 600 series overclocking are minimal

TLDR :

New drivers even the whql have pixel limit clock
    Nvidia plotting to profit from this

Read the link http://120hz.net/content.php?125-Do-Not-Buy-Nvidia-Cards!

The new drivers limit pixel clock which means people were buying the yamakasi monitors then overclocking the monitor itself to 120hz @ 2560x1440 cannot do it anymore

It has nothing to do with your overclocking of the gpu the only part i mentioned about that is people pushing there cards to the limit of what the 600 series can do and being restricted by voltage

8. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I'd totally sign this, even more after the post above which is just ridiculous, sorry.

9. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    Explain what exactly is ridiculous so i can explain it to a lesser intelligence

10. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    yea guys, you're reaching. So the 700 series won't have a pixel clock limit forcing everyone that are using cheap yamakasi panels that overclock to 120hz to buy a new GPU. I guess you saved that money when you bought a cheap monitor...

and we all knew about the voltage limits with the 600's before we bought them so I still don't see the issue.

11. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    So i fail to see where you think there's a conspiracy theory ....

Old drivers - no pixel limit clock

People get monitors that overclock to 120hz @ 2560x1440

New WHQL Drivers - Limited pixel clock preventing 120hz overclocking on "Any" monitor

Where's the theory or are you just 1 of those retarded trolls ?

12. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    that they are purposely doing this so that you will buy a 700 series... you dont even know if the 700 series would be unlocked and therein lies your conspiracy theory.

For all we know its removed next driver. Stop spreading such lies without proof.

And what about this comment you made -
    "TLDR : they are locking drivers to prevent overclocking of monitors and already have locked certain overclocking capabilities of 600 series"

locked certain overclocking capabilities of 600 series - further?? when, where, proof? We knew ahead of time that the slider was max'd at 132% on a 680. You bought it knowing this...

13. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Sorry, I stopped participating in that kind of discussions about 15 years ago.

14. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    he's just a troll.

15. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC

Every driver since 304.48 has had the pixel limit clock including the WHQL Drivers for the 660 TI

Yes we new about the limits of the 600 series and when companies made them with the voltage unlocked they were threatened to not be supplied with nvidia cards anymore

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=1696900

Only part i can understand what your saying is about the profiting but it seems pretty straight forward to me you limit capabilities of your product so when you bring out a new product people want it ? otherwise nobody would upgrade if they could push a 680 close to a 700 series or very few anyway

Either way take from it what you want shouldn't be long before the next drivers are out and you will see the limit will more than likely still be there even after numerous people wanting it removed

TLDR : Nvidia is going downhill atm

Edit

It's not really any different than intel selling the same processor 1 with unlock modifiers and 1 with locked

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    edit: nvm i mistaken it for 120hz bug with gpu down clocking in idle mode.

That was apparently broken before r290 driver, now that its "fixed" gpu doesnt down clock to low 2d freq. anymore, well that's what i've read by few users.

17. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    Oh wow, this is really hilarious.

The author of that article says do not buy Nvidia because of the limit and how they are "removing functionality" but then goes on to recommend ATI cards even though....

LOL

So I guess as long as there is a way to bypass locks its ok if it was restricted in the first place.

18. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    Wouldn't bother me if we had a way around it but since there isn't and i've always used nvidia it bothers me ?

19. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    AMDs drivers are such garbage though, I have an AMD in my non gaming rig.

20. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    The last time i used ati was 3870 in crossfire it was horrid im not debating who's better i just think it sucks for us that companies do this to consumers to make more money

Im happy to be proven wrong and when new drivers released its removed but it seems unlikely