Please help me overclock

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Eggs N Eggs, Sep 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    Hello, I have read The Absolute Basics on how to overclock your CPU:http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=122731
    And I would like to know HOW to overclock MY specific CPU now that I have read this thread. My bios does not allow me to easily just switch the FSB, CPU clock multiplier, or any other overclocking related settings.

Hardware:
    Motherboard: Dell 0RD203 (Microprocessor)
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 661
    RAM: Dual channel DDR2 266MHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HDD: Hitachi HDS72161PLA380 160GB

I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64x SP1
    BIOS Version: A05
    If there is any other information about my hardware needed then just tell me and I shall update this post.

Thank you very much ahead of time.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Welcome to the forums.:)

It's possible because you have an OEM system (like HP/Gateway etc) that your overclocking options will be very limited or even non-existent, sorry to say....

3. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3

It is or it isn't? I assume that was a typo? Didn't quite catch what you meant.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^NP...

I'm saying it's near impossible to overclock this type of system. Basically you'd need a different motherboard..... Sorry about that.

You can overclock the GPU though :)

5. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    Well that's unfortunate.
    I was hoping to be able to overclock the CPU as it limits my GPU a significant amount. So I don't think it's really going to do much to overclock the GPU, I may be wrong, so tell me if I am.

And also you said "near impossible," which implies possibility. Though it may be extremely hard and/or complex, I have the time to learn if anyone has the time to teach :p

6. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    I guess that means I will be buying my buddy's motherboard/processor with Pentium 4 (660 I believe) for $50, I tested all my current hardware (RAM, GPU, etc.) with it and my games ran so much nicer.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yeah when I say "near impossible" it's my way of saying "it is impossible"....lol.

If the options aren't there in the bios there's not much you can do unfortunately. What type of board does your mate have?

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    What games are you playing exactly? There is only so much you can get out of a single core CPU these days.

9. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    erm... can't quite remember
    I know it's a gateway but that's not very helpful to you.

Diablo 3, Tribes ascend, Left 4 Dead 2.
    I generally play d3 more than anything else.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If you absoulutely cannot afford to replace parts, I generally do not recommend overclocking. I have a backup 2500k and a fully functional backup rig so I really do not care if my cpu goes tbh

11. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    I will take that into consideration, as I am 15 with no job XD
    Thanks for your help and insight again. I am still learning a lot.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    what m/b do you have exactly? do you have a link?

13. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    hmm... couldn't find a link.
    I do have speccy and can tell you this info:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    Model: 0RD203 (Microprocessor)
    Chipset Vendor: Intel
    Chipset Model: i945P/PL/G/GZ
    Chipset Revision : A2
    Southbridge Vendor: Intel
    Southbridge Model: 82801GB (ICH7/R)
    Southbridge Revision: A1

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Is that socket 775? I think it is but does not support core 2 duos. Specifically an e8500. Can anyone verify I am on my cell. I have an e8500 I could give you but I do not think its compatible with your m/b

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

There are ways to overclock even with boards that don't support it officially by using software such as softFSB, RMClock, or even recent boards with SetFSB. Though overclocking options are limited and not all boards are supported in some cases, so you'd have to check for compatibility.

Out of those RMclock seems to be better suited to Pentium 4 and allows altering of more variables from the brief look I had.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012

16. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    Thanks, I will look more into it.

17. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Seems the Pentium D D945 is compatible for that Mainboard.

18. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!

On a general look at that setup I can say that you won't be able to OC that CPU. I have a similar setup at the office, meant for "spread sheet managment".
    Considering that the performance gains would be insignificant, though, I encourage you to take care of that setup and not OC it till you saved some money for a complete upgrade.
    That setup is not well suited for gaming, especially for new games of course.

A quad core (AMD or an i3+ Intel) + an HD 7770 minimum to play games smoothly in bearable settings and not spending much money. Instead of buying used parts from your friend which you could be already saving. Maybe ask for $$ on christmass? charge the neighbours for cleaning their cars and mowing their grass (I did this a couple of times when I was younger ^^) ? You could be buying your new setup before 2013.

19. Eggs N Eggs

Eggs N Eggs Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6450 2GBDDR3
    You see, I'm willing to buy the parts from my buddy because I just need a semi-decent desktop computer until I turn 16 (February 11). Because if I am going to be buying a new system it will be a gaming laptop, and when I turn 16 I am going to be getting a job, which I should be able to save up money fairly quickly with that. When I get a new computer, I want to be able to drop $2k on something really good. I'm tired of "good enough" computers.

20. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Gaming laptops are never decent, unless you spend A LOT of money (and even the most powerful ones never reach a desktop pc in performance).
    You also have power efficiency, heat and connectivity as your enemies.
    I would encourage you to save money and buy something better so you won't regret afterwards, but it is your choice after all.