The Quest For Dark Souls On PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Final8ty, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    You have a real attitude problem, don't you?

2. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I for one consider myself as a PC elitist keyboard player. But when I know to use a controller, I do. I don't complain. I don't cry.

We all have a PS3 or Xbox controller lying around.

Dark Souls isn't playable with a keyboard & mouse. Deal with it.

3. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    That's the point, it should be playable with KB/M.

4. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    A controller will cost you from $10 and onwards, and I actually played quite a few games on my PC only with a controller.

It was more enjoyable than K/M, because It felt a bit more gamey* for third Person view games. Like the character on screen is a puppet and your controller is moving him by strings..its kinda good.

(I use PS3 controller with MotionJoy by the way)

Edit: As I played Demon Souls on a PS3, I will have to tell you that you HAVE to play Dark Souls on a Controller to enjoy it..because playing with one will give you that sense of (I don't know what, but please TRY it out before you bash it)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

5. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    im totally fine with the kb/mice controll!

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Sure I can look harsh sometimes but it's such an old whiney complain now. Get over it.

I tried Kb&M. It didn't work. Took 3 minutes to hook up my PS3 controller in PC. Never looked back.

7. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Expecting basic features isn't being "whiney". They're charging full price for this port and it's terrible. If they cut the price in half because it's lacking several basic PC gaming features then sure, I'd say fair enough.

And your posts always come across as hostile, not sure if that's the persona you're going for but whatever.

8. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Wanny, you are not getting paid to defend this game so please start admitting to the flaws this game has instead of ignoring and defending them. People here are not the only ones complaining. Step outside guru3d and look(youtube comments make it loud and clear) around, everyone is talking about the same issues.

9. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    1. I signed the petition to ask them to make PC port
    2. They made the game
    3. It has 3 un-optimized features
    3a.Graphics Resolution <- This is fixed
    3b.Frame Rate locked <- This is not
    3c.Controls <- Easily playable with a controller, but not keyboard

Since I don't care (personally about) frame rate or playing with just a controller..

4.I am bought the game
    5.Currently downloading
    6.Gonna enjoy it

But yes, since the game already has bad controls...you could* borrow a controller and play it up.

Not saying its ok, saying that you should play the game...because it is good game. (compared to Mass ****ty 3, Diabulff 3, etc)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Or.... I could you know... just not buy it.

I'm just saying, I haven't bought the game. And right now, I have no interest in buying it. But, if people can fix the visuals of the game... why can't some find a way to fix the controls.

If playing with a controller works for you, great. Happy for ya. But, not for me. If I wanted to play it with a controller I'd get it for my 360.
    My interest for the game was in it coming to the PC with performance fixes and being able to play it with a control scheme I personally find more comfortable.

It doesn't, I didn't buy it.... moving on. I went right back to Darksiders II. Happy.
    Either way, nothing I said should engage a harsh/hostile comment from you just because you don't (can't) grasp why I won't just plug in a controller.

Bottom line is they borked a basic function of a PC release.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    No problems here with mouse and keyboard, gamepad would probably be even easier but otherwise I've no real complaints about it, movement might be a bit strange at times due to responsiveness and having so many functions tied to a single key is a bit weird but I'm managing pretty well, no doubt this New Game+ mode will be far more of a challenge so good control over the character and movement is likely even more important however I don't think I'm going to complete the entire game again, probably will take it fairly slow this time and see how far I get. :D
    (First playthrough took about twenty one hours.)

12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  13. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Started up the game few hours ago, DAMN its so awesome.. :)

The game is so subtle in giving hints for what to do and exploration of finding hidden items, damn its a perfect adventure RPG game.

14. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    This game is for masochists:whip:

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Seriously, 21 hours?!?!?!?!?!? :O

I'm at the 38 hour mark and although I'm nearer the end than the start there's a lot of grinding to be done in order to level up and make the harder enemies and boss fights easier. Also, I'm referring to the Dark Souls hardback guide to make sure I miss as little as possible as this game is so tough that I doubt I would ever replay it. You must be a gaming god or something to finish the game that quickly. I always thought 30-40 hours was the average to complete this game if you were good (plus another 10-20 hours more for the likes of me because I die a lot!).

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, it's so subtle that it is very easy to get lost and end up fighting your way to a location you're not supposed to visit yet. I must have spent about 10 hours battling to the Demon's Ruin, only to find out that I actually had to do Sen's Fortress first (the gate that opens once you ring the two bells).

If I have one criticism of this game it is that the story is rather poor, not helped by the fact that there is no journal or quest log to look at if you get lost. Realistic perhaps but nevertheless frustrating at times. Blighttown was especially confusing with so many different routes and only one down to the swamps. I must have spent about 4 hours trying to explore every nook and cranny and I still missed the correct route. In the end I had to look at the guide.

It's a fair to say that this is not a game for the faint-hearted.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for that.

I wish he'd fix the Anti-aliasing incompatibility issue though as it may not be great but it's better than nothing. It also has a lower performance hit than downsampling. Still superb that he has even managed to do this though as it makes a huge difference to the look of the game IMO.

Has anyone else noticed how when the game's framerate dips at the Bonfire and when there's lots of particle effects (water, fire or whatever) that the game NEVER drops below 15 fps and then quickly recovers to 30 fps. At first I though it was because it didn't support triple buffering so I forced it via D3DOverrider for the Data.exe file. However, it is not that because I've seen the game dip to 20-26 fps as well, though not very often. I'm using an internal resolution of 3840x2400 and a DOF resolution of 3840x2160 and the game runs silky-smooth at 30 fps for 99.8% of the time.

Also, when I load this game from the desktop shortcut it opens first as a window, oddly offset down and to the right of the top corner then goes to fullscreen after it has signed into GfWL. Is that the same for everyone else?

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm not that good though I guess I was pretty quick but I never expected the game to be released on PC so when it came out I followed various videos and the wiki articles and I tend to remember things quite well so I already knew nearly everything about the game, died a number of times of course but most of all it was due to falling down due to clumsy jump mechanics, I missed a number of weapons and rings but only some few armor sets.

I also kinda rushed the bosses of each area to minimize PvP interruptions, was invaded about four times in total but won three and the fourth was a draw as we both fell down a pit in Sen's Fortress. :D

Walkthrough video I followed back in January had the guy complete it in less than fifteen hours if I remember properly and he got quite a bit of equipment and most of the bosses but he also used the master key to skip some of the more annoying areas.

19. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Yepp same here...

--
    Edit
    Are those Lightning Spear's worth it?

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Havnt done a search yet but is there a digital version of the official DS Guide?

Also thanks to you Guru's for posting the fixes, recommended settings and wanny for the Ps3 controller setup.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012