Apple awarded One Billion dollars in suit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

A federal jury in San Jose Calif. ruled today that Samsung's smartphones violated at least six patents held by rival -- and partner -- Apple AAPL 0.09. The jury ruled that Samsung should pay $1.05 billion...

More...

2. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    This makes me very sad, and makes the future a very scary place for anyone who isn't Apple.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I agree I hope they can appeal I like the Samsung galaxy phones I'm an iPhone user myself but no fanboy by any means.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i bet you would think that if you had patents yourself and someone else was using them not giving you a dime. A jury decided, Apple was in the right, there is nothing sad about that. Just because it doesn't benefit your desire to own a non Apple product is very selfish. Samsung should have paid royalties to begin with, i don't see how Samsung is not the bad guy in this, yet many here will no doubt turn them into some sort of hero like company. bias is funny

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    surpriiiise

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    This is getting ridiculous. Its completely ruining competition and will make the market worse for consumers. I dont think i will be sticking with Apple when my iphone 4 contract runs out at the end of the year.

On a side note... does this help Microsoft's position, considering they have a genuinely unique mobile OS? If they can get windows phone 8 right it could give them an opportunity.

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Well said.

8. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    Judge Lucy Koh was bought and ****ing paid for before this trial even began.

It's no suprise Apple has lost this suit in other countries as they're essentially trying to patent a ****ing rounded corner.

But, hay ho, American company, American judge, American jury and a South Korean company (most americans are far too ignorant to know the difference between north and south korea).

What Samsung should do is leave the US as a market, let the idiot americans suffer from reduced competition and innovation and let Apple charge them $1500 for a phone.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    you do realize they could have just paid the stupid royalties? If you want to put HDMI in your products, you have to pay like $10k a year for that right...yet everyone seems to be doing just that. Now what if you didn't pay...you think consumers will think your some anti hero rebelling against the monsters? If they would allow Samsung to do what they did, other companies will do just that as well, now patents would be useless at some point. Its not a perfect system by far, but gotta have something in check to protect your designs that likely costed you a crap ton of money to come up with.

10. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    One billion dollars sounds like a lot of money!:3eyes:

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I see no issue what so ever in defending or profiting from technology driven patents. My issue is with "design" patents...particularly the patent on a "rectangle with rounded corners". But, Samsung has taken design cues from nearly every other company including RIM and Nokia among them....which you can see VERY clearly in the "pre-iPhone" Samsung designs.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of either company. I've had 4 Samsung phones....all of which have been utter garbage. Of all the Samsung products I've owned, most have been "just good enough"....won't be buying another Samsung branded product if I can avoid it, and not because of this garbage...

12. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    agreed and also the patent system is old and unfit for technology, you CANNOT patent the way you scroll a screen (or turn the page of a book), how an icon looks (rectangle). The thing is stuff like that becomes standard, like the layout of published books those are International Standards now. The judge and the jury have no clue what theyre doing. Also Apple did not invent the first touch device ever, the idea was thought about ages ago.. so technically they just copied that idea that nobody did. Apple steals information too everyone and all companies do

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Couldn't have said it better. Also I too will be ditching my Samsung phone and the reasoning is same.

14. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    Not a fan of either company? Yet continues to trash Samsung? You seem to forget to include in your post that Apple copied designs from Sony also? One sided argument is one sided.

Blatent troll is blatent - please bring some intelligence to this discussion.

[Edit - noticed your location, better cannot be expected of you.]

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, you are blatantly trolling. Glad you can see that.

Yes, I'm from the US, your point? That's right, you have none.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    More and more reasons to ignore Apple..

17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Same. When my Nokia N95 went tit's up. I had it repaired and sold it. At the time looking at the other phones available the iPhone 3 had the features I was after. From then on I became an "Evil iPerson" Hell I wouldn't even put Quicktime on my PC's...

Now I am on a iPhone 4 and have just invested too much into my Apps/iTunes to jump ship to Android.
    That and my iPhone still does everything I need it to do without complaints.

My Contract isn't up until spring of next year I think. So by then iPhone "5" will be out and the "frenzy" will have died down and I can probably get a decent deal on it if it's appealing. I too like the Samsungs but then comments I have read in this thread kinda put me in "the grass isn't always greener" mindset.

@Firefly: You are the most reasonable voice I have seen in this entire "debate" and not just here I mean THEE most reasonable :thumbup:

Edit: I DID briefly own an HTC phone with Windows Mobile on it(for all of one day)Hell if I can remember the model now. BUT Windows Mobile was basically "chip locked" language wise and being in Norway the phone was in Norwegian so NO language changes(basically would need a different OS chip) Now I'm Canadian so of course I "could" have lived with it being in Norwegian but of course I would much prefer English. So that was my very brief foray into HTC and Windows.
    I skipped 3GS and I have skipped 4S.

All this controversy may very well change the entire landscape of new phones in the next year. Time will tell/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  18. Solid_State

Solid_State Guest

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    If this matters to you I would strongly suggest not supporting Apple and to tell others the same.

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    You're confusing the law with a company that is exploiting the law. Something tells me the US patent laws need an overhaul.

A patent is originally intended for when someone invented something or created something unique. But right now with patents on things such as "double clicking" it's getting out of hand.

20. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Seriously this is what i think of apple.
    [​IMG]
    They are one of the most legit/evil companies i've ever seen (even worse than MS IMO).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.