Samsung Galaxy S3 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sdamaged99, May 7, 2012.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    well, i didnt say BBs r dual core . S2 was especially in the mind , it is still efficient phone etc..but well didnt say that too..

anyway man, cheers.

2. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Any significant drop in battery overnight is, as has already been pointed out in the thread, unlikely to be "natural".

Initially I had my Xperia arc sometimes chew through 60% of the battery overnight but that turned out to be a bug that sometimes prevented the phone from entering deep sleep mode when using particular applications.

Bar terrible cell coverage I'm betting a 30% drop overnight for the SGS III is a rogue application or something similar as well.

Normally my phone uses 2-3% battery during the night and I'm sure other modern smartphones won't deviate significantly from that number.

Just today I helped my dad's better half migrate from an old HTC Smart to a SGS III and it's definitely an awesome phone, though personally I prefer Sony's UX over TouchWiz and found the buttons on the SGS III rather un-intuitive.

Those are quite small issues though, and definitely personal.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Though I don't own the Samsung Galaxy SIII I know a few people who do and they complain about the battery.

With little use it needs to be charged on a daily basis. Any other SIII users here having poor battery performance?

4. Trasher

Trasher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    With the stock rom I had to charge the phone on a daily basis, after I flashed a custom rom and kernel I can get 3 days easy without recharging...this even though the phone is slightly overclocked (1,5Ghz)

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, using a custom rom is the way to go. No bloatware, better battery & better performance.

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
  7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That's not poor battery life, having to be charged on a daily basis.

I can get 4 hours of screen on time with LTE on all day. I charge nightly, usually end the night at about 10%.

For a modern smartphone with a 4.8 inch screen, that's quite spectacular.

If you don't like it, at least it still has a removable battery, and there are some aftermarket ones with double the capacity.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I've got the Galaxy Tab 7.7 which is 7.7'' in size.

In standby mode (doing nothing) I get over a week.

Otherwise when used casually I get around 4-5 days.

Heavy use around 3 days. This is due to the giant 5100 Mah battery!

Check out this screenshot I took the other day. It's what I call brilliant battery life, an estimation of 12 days!

[​IMG]

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Me and Brother had issues. as i posted many times on this topic. even SYNC off, no email SCYNC, no apps installed, lowest screen stuff and still 1 day usage.

4 core and big screen hats normal.

besides, i dont understand people these days. FANBOYZM around MORE CORE, MORE APPS.. Thats sounds lame. i used Iphone 4 and other lower models since years. used S2 and S3. im a business man i only use some apps like DROP BOX. SHAZAM for entertainment. RAMS app for IP CAMERA stuff.. listening music etc all does good.

the thing i want to say is, current BATTERY TECHNOLOGY isnt good enough to support the technology. 4 cores? indeed it eats alot of power. bigger screen. hell yeah.

No pain no gain. for S3 it is normal. i mean bad battery life. But as a person like me who needs to make CALLING EASY. S3 is pain in the ass.

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Uh, it's a tablet. It has no cell radio, and doesn't require quick syncing/updating, so when you're not using it, it's the closest thing to off as possible. On top of that, huge battery can be fit because of the form factor.

Phone's different. Smaller, so smaller battery. Cell phone radio has to be on, always, so you can receive calls/data/emails.

You were doing something wrong. I don't know what, but something.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I happen to use it as a phone, yes, a phone! :D

My simcard is in it & I use it to make phone calls, send sms messages, web browsing, etc...

The phone accepts simcards & works just the same as any other phone, just oversized...

I recently sold my Samsung Galaxy Note to get the Galaxy Tab 7.7.

However, yes, the huge 5100 Mah battery gives it plenty of juice to last several days, 2 at the very minimum with VERY heavy use...

2 weeks back, I was on a flight from Dubai to Scotland on a business trip...

Since it's a 7 hour 40 minute flight, I thought I'd watch the 1995 movie H.E.A.T. It's one of my favourite movies and is around 3.5-4 hours long...

My battery was fully charged prior to the flight & therefore it was 100% full.

After watching the entire 3 1/2 hour or so movie at 90% brightness the remaining battery was 77%

Now that's impressive, really impressive...

According to several reviews my phablet get's around 12 hours video playback at full brightness...

The galaxy S3's battery is ok but should of been bigger like the galaxy note.

If the battery was 2500 Mah or even 3000 it would of been far better...

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    ...Okay wow. 7 inch tablet, as a phone. Excellent.

Anyway, if I threw in an aftermarket 4000 mah batteries into my phone, I'm sure I could see similar battery life...But it makes the phone large. Not comically large, like holding a tablet to your face, but too large for my taste.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Possibly, however, it depends on the design.

Have you heard of the Motorola RAZR MAXX?? It's a regular 4.3" Android phone.

It's far SMALLER than a Galaxy S3 & it comes with a 3300 Mah battery as standard...

The Galaxy S3 is far larger, why did Samsung not produce a battery as big as 3300 Mah whereas Motorola did? The larger the screen the larger should the battery be...

Ps. The Motorola RAZR MAXX battery gives you a Stand-by time of up to 607 hours & talk time of up to 17 h 40 minutes...

Manufacturers simply need to produce larger batteries without making them too big in size.

It IS possible just uncommon. VERY few phones come with large batteries as standard...

14. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Count me in in your round, getting my SGS III tomorrow just sold my Galaxy Nexus for 90% of the price i bought it, first thing i'm gonna do tomorrow is flash CM10 on it i really liked the pure stock aspect of my GNEX

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Nice, what colour you gonna get? Unfortunately ALL colours look great on the Galaxy SIII so it can be hard choosing a colour...

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Blue looks ****, it's 3 different shades, the front, back, and home button are all different colours and don't even match, can't notice at a distance, but close up is shocking.

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Hmm, I've seen the SIII in white, looks good.

With regards to the blue being 3 different shades, I didn't notice this.

I'll need to take a closer look next time...

There are rumours that a black colour will soon be released.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Maybe yes maybe no. dont know.

well, i will keep my S3 in the closet. when a after market battery appears with my MAH, i will get it and will continue to use it as a second phone.

19. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    marble blue the white one costs me 40€ more but i'm fine with blue, btw my phone just arrived at home, downloading already Odin3 + CWM and maybe install Paranoid Android again like on my old GNEX :)

20. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I just bought the S3 and it turns out 4g is down in my area for maintenance. So I just went into the settings and made sure the 4g radio was off. I'm getting absolutely amazing battery life out of this phone. It lasts roughly 2-3x as long as my galaxy s1. I took the phone off the charger, and downloaded several gigs of data off wifi. Then texted on it all morning. I took 1.5 hours of calls on it. I used the navigation for 25 minutes. Then I texted all evening and watched the republican convention on it for another hour or so. I then gamed on it and browsed the web for another hour in bed. It was at 35% when I put it on the charger last night. Anyways. I flashed just about every rom and kernel on my last phone, so I'll get to that in a bit.

Has anybody gotten voodoo sound to work on this phone? I know you can flash beats audio in cwm, but it's not as good.